Naturals: I have a question for you ladies....

hopeg80

Have you ever straightened your natural hair by hot comb or flat iron and had problems with it reverting back to its natural, nappy, curly, coily, state?

My mother is begging me to let her hot comb my hair but I have heard a few horror stories and now I am scared to let her do it.

Let me know your experiences please!!!

Thanx in advance.:)

SparklingFlame

Well, I have hot combed my hair once and it reverted back to napps, but I wont do it again.. I heard those horror stories too after I did it so I am in the same boat as you. Those stories scared me strait (no pun intended). I dont think I would chance it unless I was doing it for me - not for anybody else, even my mother! JMHO.

ETA: Where in SC r u?

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I've straightned my transitioned hair a lot, and fortuantely nothing happened to me. I mean, I hot pressed it almost every week for about 3 or 4 weeks straight. I'm natural now, and I don't have any desire to press my hair.

Cheleigh

A lot of people on np.com mentioned this problem. I think it comes from the comb/iron being too hot and not using a heat protectant. Honestly, I'd much rather do a flatiron where I can control the temp than a press. If someone knows how to do a light press, and I used heat protectant, I guess I might do it (okay, I think I'm lying--I hated getting my hair pressed as a kid. I would do a flatiron with heat protectant though).

SparklingFlame

Yeah Amina the horror stories are a sticky on NP.com. Unfortuanatly the site is down for maintainece right now but its under the styling board I think.

jwhitley6

You might have a problem if you burn your hair...that's is a chemical change in the hair structure. If you use moderate heat, you'll be fine. I've been pressing my hair since I was 3 or 4 yrs old, and believe me, my hair naps up just fine. :lol: I'll send you pics of my natural texture if you're interested.

lovelymissyoli

I had far more natural hair from transitioning then what I ended up with when I chopped. I had to chop a lot more hair than I was willing to because of heat damage. During my transition I would get my hair pressed & curled every 2 months, and as a result, I lost at least an inch of hair.

As I chopped I could see the new growth, straight pieces, wavy pieces, and then more naps. I had to cut all of the in between so that I could be left with naps.

Would I ever press my hair again?? Right now the prospects look slim, however, if I ever use heat again, it will be with a flat iron only. I can get my hair really straight if I flat twist it so there is no need for a blow dryer or pressing comb. Actually --- there's really no need for me to use heat, just a good brush. ;)

LipGlassHoney

I have had to cut my hair because of this. My hair was a little below my shoulders and I had it straightened and after about 3 days I washed. Then I washed and I washed and washed for about a month. I went to 3 different salons getting all sort of treatments until this beautician at church told me that the heat was probably too hot for my hair and that iit wouldn't change anything. By then I had about an inch of curly hair growing under the straight mess so it made the hair just go in any direction and it looked crazy so I "BC'd" and vowed to never straighten again. I had never had that happen before then and I used to straighten every year or so.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
The last time I had my hair pressed was when I got married (Oct 2002) Since then I've only flat-ironed it a few times. I just purchased the maxi-glide tv package #4 so I will be flatironing again in the future but not the immediate future. No horror stories here.

natstar

I had that heppen to me before. I went to a beautician to get my hair blow dried and flat ironed and there was a piece in on the front side (temple area) where it did not revert back. I think it was the level of heat used. Also my hair was dyed so I think that may have had an effect. I used to have my hair pressed (w comb) and nothing would happen (i would revert) but too much heat no matter what can cause problems. I will and have straighten since then (over a year ago) and I have not had any problems, but I def do lower settings and that process has been once or twice-and I do it on my own. I will probably get it pressed next winter (do it myself) but I'm in no hurry now. Just watch the level of heat and if you have dyed your hair I would watch that too and you should be fine.

ETA- I slowly cut off the straight piece until I had a good amt of natural hair to braid (where the straight area was)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I personally haven't had any problems. I don't flatiron often at all, so far only twice but I don't blowdry before hand and I use a lot of heat protectant.

ThickHair

I have read the horror stories on another hair board for napps and they are not good. Some people can do it and other's can't. Do you really want to take the chance and find out your are one of the later?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you are scared to get it done.... DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you my story...

May 1st, 2005 I did the big chop. During this time, I still didn't see a huge problem with using heat. Plus, my mom always talked about pressing our hair when we were younger with natural hair and it never damaged it. I wanted to see my hair length straightened. I didn't think heat could permanently straighten my hair, and it did! My mom used a stove hot comb to press my hair about 3 days after doing the BC. When I washed my hair a few days after pressing it, it smelled horrible and most of my hair stayed straightened. I washed and conditioned and did protein treatments and nothing could bring my hair back to life. So I had to get a 2nd BC which left me with less than 1/2 inch of hair. To be forreal with you, I think my mom pressed it too hard or had the temperature on the stove up way too high because how come my hair never got damaged when I was younger with natural hair? Plus, I think my hair was too short to be getting it pressed and I have fine-stranded hair.

carameldiva

i have been left with a couple of straight strands after getting a press but nothing major- after my next trim they went right back to normal- no permanent damage but then again i have only pressed 3 or 4 times in the last three years.

balisi

Thankfully, I have not had any problems with my hair not returning to its natural texture after straightening it with heat. I didn't even use a heat protectant last time. :eek: I rarely straighten it, but when I do, I always use a flatiron and never on the highest setting.

kristina

I have some straight pieces in my hair from hard pressing. I went one summer (2004) getting my hair pressed every two weeks. I have a picture in my pre-lhcf 2005 album of what I mean by hard press- my hair was bone straight and super flat every time. So, in light of what I now know, it's no wonder why I have straight pieces. Especially because the stylist that did my hair used to brag about how hot his marcel irons got (me being a dummy, I thought this was a good thing) I'd refuse the press. I'm actually slowing and reluctantly coming to the conclusion that if you want length, you're better off laying off heat all together.

SparklingFlame

naturaline said:
temp wise... how hot are hot combs?
Theres really no way to gauge the heat from the combs. You just lay them on a red hot stove burner and blow on them a bit before you put it on the hair. At least thats the way I have always seen it done.

balisi

naturallady said:
Theres really no way to gauge the heat from the combs. You just lay them on a red hot stove burner and blow on them a bit before you put it on the hair. At least thats the way I have always seen it done.
Actually, the best test for a hot comb's temp is to place it on white paper for about 10 seconds. If the test spot burns or turns brown or yellow, it is too hot to apply to the hair.

Amina

balisi said:
Actually, the best test for a hot comb's temp is to place it on white paper for about 10 seconds. If the test spot burns or turns brown or yellow, it is too hot to apply to the hair.

Yep, that is what my mother does when she is using the hot comb on my cousin's hair. They have been pressing their hair for years and now they hair, when straighten, reaches mid-back. Their hair always revert back after a day or two.

Qurlyqt

Everyone's hair is different and can tolerate different levels of heat. Personally, pressing proved horrific for my hair! I went to the salon and got my hair pressed. It was straight as a relaxer and had me wondering why I didn't straighten it more often. I wore it for about 5 days then was itching to see my natural curls again.

I washed my hair only to discover that there were straight pieces in the front and back! I conditioner washed, still straight hair! My husband told me that it would probably turn back curly after a couple more washes. Even after that, the straight pieces remained. After about a month of trying different products, I finally realized that the damage was irrepairable. I ended up having to cut the straight pieces AND the rest of my hair so that it would be even (almost 3'')!

Months later, I overcame my fear of pressing and had my hair flat ironed. It looked as good as the press but when I washed it a few days later, my curls popped back! Now when I get the urge to wear my hair straightened, I opt for the flat iron instead of a press.

jwhitley6

ThePrincess725 said:
Everyone's hair is different and can tolerate different levels of heat. Personally, pressing proved horrific for my hair! I went to the salon and got my hair pressed. It was straight as a relaxer and had me wondering why I didn't straighten it more often. I wore it for about 5 days then was itching to see my natural curls again.

I washed my hair only to discover that there were straight pieces in the front and back! I conditioner washed, still straight hair! My husband told me that it would probably turn back curly after a couple more washes. Even after that, the straight pieces remained. After about a month of trying different products, I finally realized that the damage was irrepairable. I ended up having to cut the straight pieces AND the rest of my hair so that it would be even (almost 3'')!

Months later, I overcame my fear of pressing and had my hair flat ironed. It looked as good as the press but when I washed it a few days later, my curls popped back! Now when I get the urge to wear my hair straightened, I opt for the flat iron instead of a press.

Some stylist use way too much heat. My hair shrinks up ALOT, but it's really fine and doesn't need really high heat to straighten. I think some stylists are deceived by my hair type. I don't go to salons anymore, because I've had more bad experiences than good. I still prefer a good press to flat ironing any day of the week. My hair has more life and body when I press it. I alternate with 2 pressing combs and run them through my hair slowly with a towel to let the heat penetrate. My hair seems to love it....and when I wash, it goes back to its natural state.

Beware stylists who run the comb through your hair quickly. Most likely the comb is too hot and will damage your hair.

jasmine26

i also would be very careful with using heat, unfortunately, i have a piece in the front of my hair that still curls but is a much looser curl than the rest of my hair:( so far with deep conditioning and protein treatments it is not reverting back!

ot: princess 725, your twist are beautiful!! also, it's looks like you might be my hair twin:)

hairspan

i've had my hair pressed with a pressing comb and straighten with a flat iron and have had no problem, you just need to make sure you use good pressing oil or heat protectant.

TropicalRose

see, i dont want to put the hot iron to my hair because of the stories. however when i did perm my hair, i used to stretch my relaxers by blow drying with john frieda's wind down cream. the nappy parts ended up straighter than the relaxed and only lasted to the next shampoo

ive used the wind down cream once since being a nappy. it didnt work well because i was afraid to use my blow dryer on a hotter setting (so it turned out being a fro that pointed down). i think one day i will use the dryer on a higher setting and follow it with a flat iron (light setting of course)

i want straight looks, but im scared!!

hopeg80

:creatures Wow, thanks everyone for the responses!!:clap:

My mom is a beautician and presses hair everyday, but I still fell uneasy with her hot combing my hair. I guess I wanted to try to convence myself to do it because I have been really curious to see the lenght of my hair stretched. Plus I have been watching her press all of these little girls hair over the past few weeks and there hair seems to have no problem with reversion. Even though my hair has a very tight coil (very nappy) I still think that it is too soft at times and will have problems reverting back.

She did inform me that if you regularly press natural hair over a certain length of time your can train your hair to hold a press longer.***** I thought that was interesting and just wanted to share.****:lol:

I want to know more about the maxglide though. Is it expensive and hard to find?

I still want to know more of the hot comb horror stories though!!!:violin:

Last edited: