Naturals: Color/highlights Question

How did you color/highlight your hair?

• In it's natural (kinky, coily, curly) state

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Straightened

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

RubyWoo

For those of that you colored your hair in the salon or at home, was your hair colored or highlighted in it's natural state or was your hair straightened?

If your hair had to be straightened, was it done with just a blow dryer or blow dryer and flat iron? Were there any problems with reversion after washing out the color?

glamazon386

I had mine done at the salon and he did mine while it was natural. He blowdried and flat ironed it after the color was done. Then he trimmed it dry.

Twisties

I always dye/color my hair in its natural state. I've been tempted to color while it's in twists but was scared it wouldn't rinse out properly so I apply color on loose natural hair.

Ladies,

I would like to know how having color has affected your natural hair. My current color is black and I was playing with the idea of going lighter. I recently did a big chop. I know of a natural salon that specializes in Aveda coloring. Do you have any regrets?

RubyWoo

^^^I colored with demi permanent (Natural Instincts) 3 weeks ago and my hair is doing really well. No change in my hair except the color..lol! No dryness, breakage or texture change. I make sure to shampoo and deep condition weekly.

I'm considering getting highlights in addition to another demi-permanent in December and wanted to know if I would get better results straightening before coloring. I colored in my natural state before and there weren't any problems. However, I saw a you tube video where it looked like the person blew out the section that was being colored.

Last edited:

Netta1

I recommend Aveda (sp) Salon for hair dying..in my second natural year I got chunky highlights.....The highlights were done w/o heat...As you can see my texture did not change. My hair was not dry afterwards either...

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

I colored my hair in its natural state and I used Textures & Tones, I use to always color my hair Jet Black no other color, the last time I colored it Jet Black I felt like it looked fake on me, I have been jet black for the past 20 something years, I tried other colors but they didn't go with my skin tone and I didn't like it.

So now I am not coloring anymore just letting it be.

momi

For those of that you colored your hair in the salon or at home, was your hair colored or highlighted in it's natural state or was your hair straightened?

If your hair had to be straightened, was it done with just a blow dryer or blow dryer and flat iron? Were there any problems with reversion after washing out the color?

Ive done it both ways - the last few times my stylist colored it and it happened to be on the last leg of a straight style.

Problems with reversion? If it gets wet it is reverting.:look:

momi

My split ends are always more noticable on the colored part of my hair. I just chopped off about 2 inches - but I am having a hard time imagining my hair without any color at all.

blackbarbie

My color was done at the salon and it was done on my natural hair.

The difference I notice is that the highlighted portions of my hair never seem (or will really never be) as moisturized as the sections of my hair that don't have highlights at all. Mind you, I keep my hair moisturized very well but you can truly tell the difference between the texture of the highlighted portion and the non highlighted portion.

Also, what do you mean about having problems with reversion when washing out the color. Are you talking the hair reverting or the color reverting (although I have never heard of color reverting). When you go to wash the color out, whether your hair is straight or in its natural state, you will definitely see your natural hair because it will curl up once the water hits it. If I didn't answer that part correctly, can you elaborate on it?

BB

Last edited:

chocolate01

My highlights were done when my hair was straight. I had gotten my hair flat ironed the week before and didn't bother to wash it because I knew I was going to the salon.

RubyWoo

My color was done at the salon and it was done on my natural hair.

The difference I notice is that the highlighted portions of my hair never seem (or will really never be) as moisturized as the sections of my hair that don't have highlights at all. Mind you, I keep my hair moisturized very well but you can truly tell the difference between the texture of the highlighted portion and the non highlighted portion.

Also, what do you mean about having problems with reversion when washing out the color. Are you talking the hair reverting or the color reverting (although I have never heard of color reverting). When you go to wash the color out, whether your hair is straight or in its natural state, you will definitely see your natural hair because it will curl up once the water hits it. If I didn't answer that part correctly, can you elaborate on it?

BB

Hi BB,

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on the last question. What I meant was there a permanent texture change after coloring? Were their challenges with your hair reverting back it's original curly/coily state? I've read that some naturals curls were loosened after coloring while others haven't had that experience.

Update:

I ended up coloring the front of my hair red w/Textures and Tones about 4 weeks ago and I experienced zero texture change. I colored my hair in it's natural state. I haven't had any problems with breakage or dryness. I've been pretty diligent in deep conditioning weekly and moisturizing daily. I plan to color again next year.

Last edited: