Naturals... How many of you went from BC to Shoulder length in about a year?

glamazon386

Naturals...How long did it take to get from BC to Shoulder length stretched?

I see some ladies here on the board reached shoulder length (stretched) in about a year (give or take a some months) Is that normal growth? How long did it take you? Did you BC or transition? How long was your hair when you chopped? And what was your regimen? TIA...

ETA: I'm gonna rephrase my question...

Last edited:
It took me closer to about 18-24 months to reach shoulder length when stretched. I have been natural for almost 10 years and my hair is nearly waist length when stretched but still barely grazes my shoulders in shrunken state.

Hmmm... What's your normal growth rate? I feel like my hair is growing way faster now than it did when I was relaxed.

When I did the big cut in August, my hair was at my earlobe stretched and now, its actually a little past my shoulders stretched :D . I'm telling you girl, my hair is in much better condition now than its ever been relaxed and is growing at a much faster rate.

I transitioned for 11 months and then did the big chop. My hair is touching the top of my shoulders in the back and my sides are 1 1/2 from touching my shoulders stretched. My bangs grow the fastest and is almost touching my chin. With that said, my hair definitely grows best in its natural state. Its been three months since my chop and I am looking to reach my goal of full shoulder length around March or April.

I did the bc in July 2004. My hair was about 3 inches stretched. A year and two months later my air was about 7 to 12 inches stretched depending on the area. I wasn't really taking care of it seriosly the first year. I was just washing and conditoning it every few days. However after it started getting longer, i was experiencing breakage because I was getting split ends from not wrapping at night and not doing any protein or deep conditioners (Bad Ntrlmystik!) I've gone to the hairdresser twice for haircuts (December 2005 and April 2006) and both times he had to take of about two to three inches both times) Not to mention every once in a while I clip the ends of my twists or box braids cause they look ragged. I have challenged myself to grow healthy hair so I am deep conditoning weekly, alternating between moisture and protein, aphogee every 6 weeks. Also I am doing more protective styles. I am working my way towards the baggie method! I will let ya'll know how that works for me in June! So far its a huge difference. My growth rate depending on how I am eating 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch. My hair has always grown at the same rate. Although certain months my hair is like a weed.

Last edited:
It took me 7 months to reach shoulder length after I chopped.

This is how much hair I had after chopping on 1-3-2006:

bigchop132006pic17-vi.jpg

And this is some random comparison shot I made which shows my twists @ shoulder length when stretched:

comparison1-vi.jpg

To answer your question, I transitioned for a year (with the intentions of going until I could make a low puff w/ natural hair), chopped after that year was over (actually when I got sick and tired of looking @ my raggedy ends), and I was left with about 3 inches of hair --- I think :confused: .

It didn't take too long for my hair to grow because I was treating it right, and I wasn't length obsessed. It just so happens that one day I was twisting my hair and after I let go of the twist, it stayed at shoulder length for a minute --- before shrinkage took over and took it up and inch or two.

With that said, I have below shoulder length hair if you pull my twists, but my twists don't hang @ shoulder length yet. I'd give it another year before they do. In the mean time, I'm having fun with my hair.

If you want accurate measurements I can't be of any help because I don't measure my hair. I kind of 'guesstimate' by pulling it.

Last edited:
PROTECTIVE STYLES, PROTECTIVE STYLES, PROTECTIVE STYLES :) For me that's the key to retaining length. Last yr over about 5 months, I did a "big chop" due to the lovely blonde color you see in the avatar. I was put why back in my growth, but it was well worth it. I am thinking that I grow about 7-8 in per yr or more. it's a question of how much you retain, not really one of how fast does it grow. I am almost back at the length that I had before the cut and I am retaining a lot of hair. I baby it, deep conditioning 2x per month. Aphogee protein tx 4 times per yr, and trims 3-4 times per yr or as needed. Wrapping up my hair at night, not using heat and using products that are more natural (shea,coco butter) has helped my hair and it's appearance over all. It's a matter of patience as well. When you are constantly thinking about it, it never seems to grow, but the moment taht you concentrate on everything else, your hair seems to sprout like magic. Hang in there. :)

I transitioned for 14 months and then chopped in July 2005. I have layers in my hair, the shortest one being below shoulder length and the longest at the bottom of my brastrap. I wear protective styles every day. :)

It took me a year i big chop by the end of june 2005. i havent updated my sig its a august 20 pix , but my hair is past shoulder length its now in braids so i cant see. For me it was the regimen, vitamins and topical products and sticking to protective styles like braids and cornrows and cowashes and baggy method daily with mtg and eating pro sulfur/protein diet. I just shaved the whole thing when i big chop cause my transitioning head had too much scab hair :lol: the hair was harsher than a brillo pad THat was before i found out about the beauty of carlson msm sulfur powder which keeps my 4b hair soft like cotton:grin:

Last edited:
I think I was almost at shoulder a year after I did my BC. I BC'd in July 2005 down to about 1 inch stretched.

errmm...i transitioned for 10 months, and i think i was shoulder length in less than 6 months. i'd have to check my album to be sure tho.

I've since texturized my hair, but it took about 11 months to get to shoulder length. I really didn't do anything special but phoney ponies....and that was because I am way too lazy to style my hair! :lol: I washed and deep conditioned my hair only about every other week and kept it oiled. Not the best prescription for growing hair, but it worked....

I went from bald to where I am now in 2 years. I get a half an inch w/o any growth aids but with using my product I get an inch a month. Since I dont use heat at all and I have been doing protective styles for 9 months strait I havent had to trim in like...9 months! LOL! I am at sholder lengnth streached. HTH!

WhipEffectz1 said:
I transitioned for 11 months and then did the big chop. My hair is touching the top of my shoulders in the back and my sides are 1 1/2 from touching my shoulders stretched. My bangs grow the fastest and is almost touching my chin. With that said, my hair definitely grows best in its natural state. Its been three months since my chop and I am looking to reach my goal of full shoulder length around March or April.

WhipEffectz1 do you have pics of your hair after your BC? I'm in my 11th month of transitioning and want to BC in 2 weeks. i just wanted to know what kind of length you had when you cut. TIA

transitioned: 5-6 months
bced: to 3-4 inches

im at 16 months and my hair is to my collar bone and below my shoulders (see avatar). i think it reached my shoulders last spring (about 9 months). growth rate should remain constant unless you drastically change your diet. my growth rate? i cut my hair in march of this year. my bangs reached the tip of my nose then. about 2 months later, my hair reached the middle of my lip (thats about 1.25- 1.5 inches in 2 months). i trimmed it again in late september to the tip of my lip. it was to the bottom of my lip again in late oct (about 1 inch in 1 month). i dont know how long my bangs are now because i have my hair in fat twists (in a pony tail).

up until a few weeks ago, i no pooed EVERY morning. i started twisting at night because my hair is getting to the point where shake and goes arent practical (too much hair= too many knots). now im paying special attention to it.

i dont think protective styles is key. its all about keeping your ends healthy and moisturized. even in protective styles can your hair break off. i make sure to rub some oil or curl activator (glycerin) on my ends every other night

Me, last year I had about 3 inches now I am past my shoulders and it made a year in October. I wear braids a lot which allows me to do more frequent washings and apply aids directly to my scalp. Right now I need to take my cornrows out and I think I have at least an inch and they have been in a little over a month. I will measure this weekend though. I will wash, protein, rock a fro for a week or 2 and get braids again. I can't mess around with all this hair, 3 little heads, and deal with the cold. HTH Q

It took me and my sister about a year to be at shoulder length. She cut all her hair down to less than an inch. I grew my hair out for a year and then chopped. When the relaxed ends were cut off, I was at shoulder length.

ThickHair said:
It took me closer to about 18-24 months to reach shoulder length when stretched. I have been natural for almost 10 years and my hair is nearly waist length when stretched but still barely grazes my shoulders in shrunken state.

Don't mean to hijack thread but at what year did you reach waistlength?

I've been natural for 1 yr. and 3 mths. I transitioned for 5 mths and my hair is past my shoulders when stretched. Not ALL of it, of course, because hair naturally grows in layers. :)

I plan to chop after about 14-15 months. my hair when stretched is about shoulder length now, it's been 11 months since I've last relaxed. My hair does appear to be growing faster now that it's not being permed--or maybe I'm just thinking it does.:)

I have about five months to go before its a year since I BC. I transitioned for six months but the stylist cut that and everything else off to 1/4 inch. My hair in the back is just touching my back. I figure I should be at shoulder length in 5 months. I hope. Great question.

This is my seventh month, and I would say I'm about 3 inches from shoulder length. I definitely believe I will be there by my 1 year nappiversary! I have faith in my new regimine (which is, uh, still being developed) and in Naturallady's Boundless Tresses!!!

i think its just about right.
ive been transitioning since july 05, 19 months and right now my natural hair in the front reaches neck length and the back is underarm length.

my natural hair is about 10-11 inches long

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses ladies. I think I'll make it by June. My hair in the back is reaching onto my collarbone. The front and the sides are at about the ears now. On the 21st I will have been natural for 5 months. And April 15th marks one year since my last relaxer. Melodee when are you planning to chop? Have you set a date?

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks for your responses ladies. I think I'll make it by June. My hair in the back is reaching onto my collarbone. The front and the sides are at about the ears now. On the 21st I will have been natural for 5 months. And April 15th marks one year since my last relaxer. Melodee when are you planning to chop? Have you set a date?

Bmore.... please share where you got that puff and/or how you constructed it.... It's very cute!

RelaxerRehab said:
Bmore.... please share where you got that puff and/or how you constructed it.... It's very cute!

Thanks! It's just a phony pony with a 2 combs and a drawstring. It's synthetic and I got it from the bss for 9.99 back in July. I just brushed my hair back with fantasia gel while it was wet and clipped it on.

Back