About how long does it take to get from shoulder length to APL?

glamazon386

About how long does it take to get from shoulder length to APL? I was looking at my hair last night and I'm guessing I have about 6 inches to go in the back. So would a year be reasonable? Or is that too long? How long did it take you?

lollyoo

I wonder as well, I am currently almost full shoulder length roughly 2 inches to get there, my next goal will be arm pit length, and ultimately bra strap length.
I want to know many months is needed to go from full shoulder length to arm pit length.

Last edited:

wheezy807

I've been a member here since sept 06 and i made apl april 07. So it took me 7months with maybe 3 or 4 major trims. I've been shoulder length basicly all my life. I think it depends on the person and how their hair grows. Average growth is .5in a month. You can calculate it. What length is your hair now? What length will it be at apl? Subtract the difference, and divide by .5 to see how many months. I hope that helped.

Energee

I'm at full shoulder length right now and it took me less than a year to reach this length from above ear length. However, keep in mind that while I was growing my hair out I used a sewn in weave as a protective style---so my hair was not manipulated in any way at all---no relaxer--no heat--no cutting. It was only taken down every 6 weeks to be washed and deep conditioned and I had my stylist gradually snip off the old relaxed ends. I ended up being 99% natural and my hair was very healthy. I had little breakage. Every time my stylist took it down it was just blooming like wild flowers.

I'm thinking it depends on the individual basically...your genetics (hair grows fast in my family but I damaged my own hair with excessive heat before deciding to give my hair a much needed break/rest), your routine--how you care for your hair...how you care for yourself in general--diet, exercise...stress levels....etc. It may take one person 6 months and another person a year to reach the same goal.

I'm shooting for BSL myself but I'm not going to compare. I know I'll get there eventually...:grin:.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
My ticker is set for one year....that's what I'm aiming for. I'll be very happy if I get there and estatic if I surpass it! :yep:

Blackoutzangel05

I believe it has a lot to do with how you are wearing your hair. Bmore, I know you are wearing your hair in weaves and low manipulation styles a lot so it might not take your hair a full year. However, I would use past growth measurements to get an idea of how fast my hair grows. I believe that in a year my hair will be SL because of the braids that I am wearing and how fast my hair was growing as soon as I became natural. I have back pieces, when stretched touching the top of my shoulder now....so I do believe that its a personal thing....

However, I will say this. I started my journey in Feb. 07 with shoulder length hair and some strands slightly longer and when I cut it in July I was at APL:grin::grin::grin: Hope that gives you hope...

MissFallon

I'm currently just past shoulder length (13 months of growth from nothing) and I believe I will be full apl by december. So I would say no more than 6 months.

Tracy

Depends on your growth rate, the distance from your shoulders to your armpit, and how nice you are to your hair.

For me it took about a year and a half - maybe two. It was about a 5 inch distance, my hair grows slowly, and I wasn't always nice to my hair. :nono:

glamazon386

Y'all are not helping me with these ambiguous answers!! :lol: I'm gonna shoot for next June.

Blackoutzangel - I'm not doing the weaves anymore. I've been wearing my hair out all summer with the exception of the cornrows I had in for about a week and a half. Most days I wash and go. Sometimes I wear a phony pony or a wig. I haven't had a weave since June. And I haven't been to the salon to get one since my birthday the first week of March. The last two I did myself. And I had a set of Senegalese Twists back in March too. Once it gets cooler I might start wearing it straight more often.

Last edited:

SouthernTease

I don't know how long it will take you.
But, I made a chart using a ruler since
I know that my hair grows 0.5" per month,
I think I will reach APL by January 2008.
If you know your growth rate, you can have
a friend hold a ruler like I did on this picture
to see how long it will take for you to reach APL.
HTH!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Yeah this is what I did. I know I get like .5 in of growth a month. So once I knew how many more inches I needed to go from SL to APL, I was able to calculate the month in which I'd reach APL. I calculated how many more months to go for BSL and MBL and wrote them down. If you trim you have to account for the trims as well. After that just follow your regimen consistently. When you know round about which month you were meant to reach a certain goal, you can look forward to reaching it and if you don't you can reevaluate your regimen and progress to see what might have gone wrong and take the steps to correct it in the next few months. This method is quite simple so you always know where you are and where you are supposed to be. This is what I have been doing for the last year. Hope this helps!:yep: