For those that started at a TWA, how long until shoulder length?

How long did it take?

• 6-9 months

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • 9-12 months

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • 12-15 months

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • 15+ months

Votes: 19 23.5%

• Total voters

Determined22

I love this poll...I BC'ed in April with about 2 inches stretched and now I'm at 4 inches stretched. This gives me some hope that I'll make it to SL stretched by my BC anniversary next year.

jetbeauty09

WOW to all the ladies that reached true SL in less than 2yrs from a true TWA!
I start at about an inche and I am at 1.5yrs and only grazing SL:perplexed

What are you all doing?

SPILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I reached partial SL in 9 months...I hope to reach full SL by Dec and that will be over 12 months from when I only had 1-2 inches of hair. I think DC & keeping your moisture & protein balanced are the keys to retaining length. I know I could've been full SL probably within 9 months of my BC but I've done some good trims (chops :spinning:) about 3-4 times since then. I'm vowing not to cut anymore until 1/1/10 so we'll see if I hit full SL by the end of the year. Happy growing to you!

honeybuni84

I started at a true TWA.. I went to the barber and left with about an inch of hair all around. I am past SL now and that was about 13 months ago.... I hit SL at about month 9... I am mainly 4a with a few looser textures in the back ( very few)

honeybuni84

What are you all doing?

SPILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly? Nothing

I would cowash every couple of days , maybe use shampoo every 2 weeks. Use conditioner as a leave in then do braid outs, twist outs.. I would get a weave and wear it for 2.5 months, then take it out and let my hair rest for a month.

No heat, nothing.. I hope to be APL by this time next year...

Neith

What are you all doing?

SPILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

My nape is at shoulder length now, but I'm not claiming anything until I get there fully.

Full sl imo is when all your hair from root to tip reaches your shoulder, with either none or not too many layers. It's not something you can rush, and it's not something that most will be able to achieve in a year or less (with the average 6 inches of growth)

So I probably will be partial APL before I claim SL :lol:

It doesn't take very long to just get partial shoulder length though.

AvaSpeaks

Man I think I need to re-step up my hair game AND my patience game AND my consistently game.

My problem is retention :ohwell: What were you ladies doing to retain all of that hair in that period of time?

tocktick

I think I had a "true" twa since I had about 2 - 2.5" of hair. It took me about 10.5 months and that includes a few trims. If I didn't trim, it probably would have taken 8.5 - 9. I do not have a long neck and I am just under 5' 3" though, so SL is about 6" for me.

JerriBlank

The first time i bc'ed,due to a blonde dye job breaking almost all of my hair off,i was left with about 1.5ins of hair.

My hairwas full,thick in less than a year.All i did was wear braids for the whole time.I would take them down and get them re-done within a few days.

I think what contributed was that i had only had a few relaxers up to this point so my scalp was so much healthier.since i had terrible relaxing practices,then taking it out of the equation for so long was extremely beneficial to my hair andscalp.

honeybuni84

My nape is at shoulder length now, but I'm not claiming anything until I get there fully.

Full sl imo is when all your hair from root to tip reaches your shoulder, with either none or not too many layers.

I don necessarily agree with this. I think if more than 50% of your hair is SL then you are SL. By the time my front bangs are SL, I probably will be BSL and my hair grows in layers..

Country gal

My natural hair is not shoulder lenght when it is a wash and go. It is probably more cheek lenght. I didn't start as a TWA though.

Jewell

What are you all doing?

SPILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I washed my hair every 2 weeks and kept it moisturized in the meantime and always wore a bun. I kept my hair up and out of the way...had no time to lavish on my hair with a newborn at home! I just did the bare minimum to look presentable when leaving the house, lol. Sometimes that required slapping on a wig and calling it a day. :look:

I started at about 3-4 inches stretched. Got to SL in about 6 months. End of June 2008 to Dec. 21, 2008.

Neith

I don necessarily agree with this. I think if more than 50% of your hair is SL then you are SL. By the time my front bangs are SL, I probably will be BSL and my hair grows in layers..

That's reasonable :yep:

I know all won't agree, but for me personally, I'd like 100% or near 100%

DivaD04

i have a twa right now. i know i can get 5-6''/yr so it may take until december next year and that's to give me a little more time to reach sl. i have about 1-1.5'' of hair. half of which is colored(what's left n e way)....from b4 bc, i colored my hair for the summer during my short period of transitioning. BUT i cut all my relaxed hair off so i can just be au natural. i consider myself sl when stretched and when my nape hit my shoulders.
i can get it in 10mths (relaxed for sure) but voted for 12-15mths for extra time. i've just bc's on the 1st so i'll have to wait n see with my natural hair.

i personally don't comb my hair everyday. i'm going for less manipulation as possible. all i do is poo 'n co everyday or every other day....depends what i've done during the day and i wear my bonnet (i try to keep it over my ears and off my hairline)....maybe moisterize if i remember to and add olive oil to my hair....i have a 6mth old who doen't give me to much personal hair time......as soon as my products arrive...hoping they'll be long term staples, i'll get back on track with my hair.

Last edited:

jetbeauty09

Man I think I need to re-step up my hair game AND my patience game AND my consistently game.

My problem is retention :ohwell: What were you ladies doing to retain all of that hair in that period of time?

I was previously able to retain a great deal of length but for the last few months I've been dealing with alot of shedding, not sure why. I'm still retaining growth for the most part so I'm doing something right (DCing regularly, I have never flat ironed my hair as a natural or transitioner, protective styles like wigs, especially if I want the straight look, daily moisture and at least one protein treatment a week until shedding is under control, prepooing and shampooing monthly).

Rethinking your patience game is a must b/c I remember when I first BC'd I thought it was going to be forever before my hair grew out and I'm surprised I have any hair left! I was constantly in my hair and worrying about growth & retention. Now, I leave my hair alone and I can't believe how its grown, even with all the trimming! Patience is the key!

song_of_serenity

I'm already shoulder length in the back, but the top has a looong ways to go to catch up since it was the same length all around, but that means layers. lol I bC in july and has aout 2.5 inches of hair.

GreenD

I voted 9-12 months, because my hair was grazing my shoulders at 8 months, but between 9-12 months I became full SL.

Shadiyah

I had about 1/4 inch of hair on my head when I did my bc. it has been 15 months and I am past 6" and that is unstraighten hair. so I have been past my shoulders for a little while now. my hair is even all around with over 6" so I have a ways to go before I will be even all around because there will be no cutting for a long time LOL

brucebettye

It took me between 12-15 months because I was cutting out my mullet, because my nape grows so much faster than the rest of my hair.