Naturals, how do you take care of your scalp?

ScorpioBeauty09

I'm curious, how do my fellow naturals keep flakes, the itch and other scalp problems away? Do you wash your hair enough times that you don't have to deal with it, or is there a product you use? Thanks!!

lovegymnasts

Since going natural, I have had none of these issues.
Relaxers caused these problems for me.
Also, had these problems when I wore synthetic braid extensions for about a year.

I have always washed my hair once a week. My mom would have killed me if I did not.

Pompous Blue

I do not have a scalp problem. I think what keeps itchies and flakes away for me are -

1) I detoxify and exfoliate my scalp once a wk by doing a bentonite or rhassoul clay hair mask. Sit under the steamer for 30 minutes.
2) I use brownbutterbeautyshop.com's Mixed Greens. It purports to nourish your hair and scalp with an herbal blend. I use it every other day on my scalp. It turns to oil when applied to the scalp.
3) I do a kalpi-tone treatment once or twice a month. It's a mixture of ayurvedic blends some which are nourishing to the scalp and follicles.
4) I do nettle (stops itches) tea and horsetail (promotes healthy skin) tea rinses after each wash or co-wash.

I have been doing this for over 8 months and my scalp has been the healthiest it's been in a long, long a time. I made it through the dreaded once-a-year Fall shedding with no excessive shedding at all. This month I just incorporated black tea in with my tea rinses.

HTH

P.S. Combine nettles, amla, aritha, shikakai and aritha for an effective hair wash tea for dandruff.

ajargon02

I take care of my scalp by cleansing it with shampoo every time that I wash it.

YUP! When I wash my hair, I make sure to use the pads of my fingers to gently cleanse my scalp. Although scratching my scalp with my nails does feel nice, it can traumatize the scalp, and cause problems, so I don't do it. Whether co-washing or pooing, I ( as mentioned ) gently massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers, then work the shampoo down the shaft of my hair with a smoothing method, so that I also get my hair clean.

LuvlyRain3

I haven't had any flakes in over a year. Since I started washing my hair every week. Plus I stopped putting unnecessary crap on my scalp. I might get a random itch once in a blue moon but that's about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

lovegymnasts

I haven't had any flakes in over a year. Since I strayed washing my hair every week. Plus I stopped putting unnecessary crap on my scalp. I might get a random itch once in a blue moon but that's about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I don't put anything on my scalp either. My moisturizer gets on my scalp when I moisturize my hair but I don't deliberately put any products on my scalp or "grease" my scalp.

I also rinse my hair and scalp every morning with water before I moisturize (my hair loves water); but my scalp issues stopped before I added rinsing to my regimen.

My scalp was just fine once I stopped relaxing.

trackstar

bump. I'd like to know too. I'm having scalp problems even though I haven't used a relaxer in a year. I stopped oiling my scalp (with JC nourish and shine or coconut oil) because of recommendations on here. However, now I don't know what to do when it gets dry. Anyone have any suggestions?

darlingdiva

bump. I'd like to know too. I'm having scalp problems even though I haven't used a relaxer in a year. I stopped oiling my scalp (with JC nourish and shine or coconut oil) because of recommendations on here. However, now I don't know what to do when it gets dry. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe your scalp needs oil. I lightly grease my scalp with the Growth Specifics Revitalizing Hair Balm & it works for me.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Flakes and itchiness both went away when I stopped massaging conditioner and sulfate-free shampoos in my scalp. Also when I apply conditioner using the relaxer method, I'm very sure not to get any on my scalp. The only thing that my scalp tolerates without itching or flaking is a sulfate shampoo, SOME oils, and this isoplus tea tree oil grease I have. Eucalyptus oil also caused my scalp to itch something terrible so there may be other oils that my head doesnt like as well.

Ever since I stopped doing that, my scalp stopped itching and flaking no matter how often I shampoo. I currently shampoo once a week but for about 4 months, I co-washed only (only rinsing and scrubbing my scalp with water) and I did not have itching or flaking problems.

Vashti

Yeah. Some of us do oil our scalps. I use olive oil/castor oil blend to oil mine every other day and massage my scalp. I feel that because of this I no longer have flakes or dryness and other issues. If you decide to do this use a pure oil instead of a mineral oil based product so your pores don't get clogged.

I also wash my hair once a week.

Nonie

• I keep my scalp free of products.
  • I shampoo twice a week, applying undiluted shampoo directly to my scalp and focusing on cleaning it well by doing a thorough massage. I prefer gel shampoos because the cream ones feel as if they are just coating my scalp.
  • When I apply conditioner to my scalp, I skip an inch or so of my hair closest to my scalp.
  • When I rinse off the conditioner, I rinse forever massaging my scalp to ensure I remove any traces of conditioner that might be on my scalp.
  • I finish my wash by dunking my head in a solution of ACV where I massage my scalp to my heart's content, further making sure no residue is left on it that might cause itches. The massage is good for blood circulation to nourish my scalp.
  • I baggy every night to encourage sebum production to keep my scalp happy and I usually baggy bare hair so again no products get on my scalp. I am slowly trying to introduce using S Curl on my ends and I haven't quite mastered how to so this while keeping my scalp product-free. Baggying my ends separately in pony tails and then wearing a cap so far is the only way I've been able to achieve this.

I believe flakes can be caused by excessive oil production (sebum) or by product residue (like if you don't rinse conditioner off) or if you've got a type of dermatitis. I do believe that leaving your scalp bare is one way to let it go back to normal.

~~HoneyComb~~

I cowash my hair weekly, and I use shampoo for the scalp on 2x a month.

Like other ladies I have not had any scalp issues since going natural--with my relaxed head, 2 days after I washed my hair I'd get flakes.

Ms Lala

I think scalp care is so important. I have a type of dermatitis so it is particularly critical for me. When I was relaxed I had problems w/my skin and scalp but they have greatly improved. I have found that shampooing less works for me. When I shampooed to much my scalp responded horribly. Tea Tree Oil Poo and ACV rinses are really helpful for dandruff issues IMO. I also use over the counter medicated products for my psoriasis. Oddly enough my scalp likes mineral oil based products, they are the least irritating so far that I've tried. In the winter I actually use a light grease on my scalp, it's not something I do daily but it works well.