Naturals considering TexLaxing??

theNaturalWonders

great thread and lovely pictures!! kudos to you all for taking the leap of faith!!

stalking this thread and def taking notes from the sidelines:yep:

i am natural (cottony, low porosity, fine-medium, dense OS) and it will be 4 years this month (2/17) and it has been a journey. i am wigging it for fear of doing anything drastic out of sheer fustration with it being out. i am exploring my options this year when my 5 year anniversary comes up next year and texlax/texturizing is at the top of the list:grin:

femmedusiecle

I've been checking out the 'Just Grow Already' blog a lot lately. She's texlaxed with lush looking hair. Reeeeealllllly getting the itchies to do something soon!

StarBunny

This is the right thread at the right time for me!

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, but I finally decided to join up.

I've been natural for about 5 years now, but I'm not really good at being natural at all. I usually just keep my hair in braids all the time because I don't have time to spend hours each day doing it. I BKT'ed my hair for a bit, and really loved it, but the non formaldehyde formulas don't work for me. The last time I did it, so much of my hair was in the drain instead of my head that my landlord had to come unclog my drain because it was flooding the downstairs apartment.

So, I've been considering texlaxing it because I would love it to be like when I first BKT'ed my hair. Curly, frizz free and no more single strand knots!!
Still, I've very scared of it as well, I know how easy it is to over process and that is something I want to avoid.

I haven't completely made up my mind yet, I might still have to try a few things to remain natural first, but when I used to relax my hair I used Phytospecific 2 and it worked really well, I was wondering if anyone texlaxed with phytospecific 1 and how were the results?

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Oh wow!! Congrats!!SweetSunshine Your hair looks great!! I'm so happy you are happy with it :)

I have a few questions pretty please!! When you did the strand test, did you also neutralize the strands too, or did you just rinse it out?

I have found a stylist I'd like to work with, but I really need to do the strand test first so I can explain exactly how I'd like it done! Also, did you smooth with fingers when you did the whole head?

xx

Last edited:

theNaturalWonders

i know i have read that there is a difference between texlax and texturize-for the ladies that have had both which one did you prefer and why? also this may be a dumb question but if you have a cottony/low sheen texture does it become silkier with a texlax or texturizer?

isawstars

I just made an appointment to get texlaxed. I'm kind of nervous but I am so excited. I was texlaxed for 2 or 3 years before being natural and I loved my hair. There were of course a few things I didn't like about being texlaxed but after being natural for 2 years, I've decided that I like texlaxed best.

I can't wait. My appointment is Friday :grin:

isawstars

Update please? isawstars

xx

CharUK

I am extremely happy with going back to texlaxing! I now wash my hair 2-3 times a week after working out and it is a breeze after dealing with Natural hair.

My stylist told me she didn't want to texlax my hair but I think she could tell my mind was made up and no one could change it. :lol:

If my memory is correct, when I texlaxed in 2008-2010 my former stylist had the relaxer in for 5-8 minutes... giving the texture that is in my siggy. The woman I saw for my virgin texlax was FAST. She left it in 5 minutes... or maybe even less. She told me in advance she was afraid of making it too straight, plus she wanted me to keep my texture lol...

Initially I was bummed out that she didn't leave in longer... but...I can still do puffs! In fact that's my go to hairstyle now. Surprisingly, flat ironing is a BREEZE! It was absolutely hell as a natural but now it's a lot easier to get straight.

Attached is a photo to compare to my old texlaxed hair in my siggy. I suppose I should change it now.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 183

SweetSunshine

isawstars

Your hair is beautiful!!! We have a similar textures after our texlax:grin:

I'm currently almost 14 weeks post, and I will be doing my next texlax on June 1 at 17 weeks post. I love my texlaxed hair, and most people still thinks its natural, but longer lol.

So many people say that you can't grow hair that has chemicals in it, but that is simply not true. If we are taking care of our hair, finding the right moisture/protein balance, protective styling and doing those other things that cause retention, then our hair will flourish too!:yep:

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Hi all, I know I'm super late! Just to let you all know I went ahead and texlaxed the back of my hair, so not a small patch, the entire back. I used Just for me texturizer and I left it on no longer than 11 minutes and it was almost completely straight. I HATE it!!

I recorded it and have been lazy to edit, but when I do, I will send a YouTube link...

xx

SweetSunshine

Hi all, I know I'm super late! Just to let you all know I went ahead and texlaxed the back of my hair, so not a small patch, the entire back. I used Just for me texturizer and I left it on no longer than 11 minutes and it was almost completely straight. I HATE it!!

I recorded it and have been lazy to edit, but when I do, I will send a YouTube link...

xx

Oh no CharUK, :nono:

I'm so sorry to hear your hair came out mostly straight. You can do a protein treatment on the texturized portion ASAP to bring back some of the curl pattern. Also, most texturizers are no-lye which tend to be harsher on the hair and work faster. Perhaps that's why your hair straightened in such a short period of time. I hope you are able to regain some of your curl pattern. Hugs

LadyPBC

I intend to self texlax and to touch up every 12-16 weeks. I'm afraid of the two different textures and how to manage them. I have about three different textures already and I'm ALL natural. .How has your return to the natural side been going @yaya24 ?

CocoGlow

Bumping this thread cuz I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of tex-laxing. Just wanted an update from you ladies please!
tagging @SweetSunshine @CharUK @isawstars @yaya24 @CocoGlow

Hey Sis,

Wow I forgot all about this thread. The main reason I texlaxed was for ease of detangling (the bane of my existence LOL) but unfortunately I only enjoyed this for a short period of time. The first few weeks after touch ups were blissful as I had little new growth but as soon as my new growth started to really come in detangling became a chore again. It would seem as if the relaxer was wearing off a bit all over too.

Touch up time was difficult for me as I believe my hair was resistant to the mild relaxer that I used (Linage Shea Butter) so I would have to leave it on for a long time and then the results were not consistent all over as I have various textures. I didn't want to move on to a stronger relaxer because I can't deal with a burning/stinging scalp and didn't want to end up with straight pieces (I was going for a slightly looser curly/coily afro look). Overall to be honest I really wanted to be natural again and not deal with chemicals at all. So I cut it off after a year and grew my hair back out.

ETA: Sorry I forgot to add that I had issues maintaining the proper moisture/protein balance too. My hair would start shedding like crazy and feeling limp so I knew I had to do protein treatments but even mild treatments would make my hair revert tighter which did not help my detangling issues either.

Now I'm on a Water Only/Sebum Conditioning regimen that gives me everything I was looking for all along. Detangling is so easy, my hair is soft, hydrated, the regimen is inexpensive to maintain & still all natural!

Even though I'm no longer texlaxed, I hope my experience helps sis!

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I wish I knew how to self texlax I would not have went back natural. The problem was inconsistent results at the salon.. and I forgot how much I HATED that dreaded moisture/protein balance life..

Sometimes I would have straighter results vs. true texlax. We just could not get it right lol.

Natural round 3 has been a breeze.

Its flat twisted 90 percent of the time under a wig. Washed every 2 weeks and moisturized 3-4 times a week.

Maximum K.I.S.S regimen.

I intend to self texlax and to touch up every 12-16 weeks. I'm afraid of the two different textures and how to manage them. I have about three different textures already and I'm ALL natural. .How has your return to the natural side been going @yaya24 ?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@LadyPBC Have you considered trying a keratin treatment?. I had mine done in beauty school around April and did a touch up at 4 months at home and I just love the result. The key for me is to not crank up the temperature so I can keep my curls.

Usually the keratin treatments I have been using prior are temporary and wear off. This one has lasted several months and I could have easily gone longer

It doesn't give my hair a processed and inconsistent look either imo. It just looks like I have looser curls. Here is a thread I made about it.

https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/i-wasnt-expecting-this.786941/

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I texlaxed (from 4a to 3cish) for years but, detangling wasn't that much easier. My touchups were never truly consistent. If the texture was close, I considered it a win. For the most part, I still had the natural hair struggles but with relaxer maintenance.