NATURALS COME IN HERE! trying to make an afro puff!

renee08

I just recently BC'd and I don't have many accessories. I'm trying to make an afro puff but whenever I do it, my hair in the front is never slick and the puff looks more like a ponytail. What do you all use to make a puff? I can't think of anything looser than a hair band and tighter than a headband....

Mook's hair

Cut the elastic part of some pantyhose and try that.
Also, I use those ouchless goody head bands and I feed one end through the other. Pull rather taught and then pin the end with a hair pin.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
My first puff was made with elastic headbands. I wrapped them around twice and it would push up on my head and make a fake puff.

Libra08

I still don't know how to make a puff but there are a lot of youtube videos that are really helpful and give good demonstrations.

Pandora1975

I found REALLY LARGE ouchless ponytail holders. They stretch out and are perfect. I think they were scunci. They are like rolled jersey knit fabric.

dany06

I tried the knee high thing and it never really worked for me, but it may work for you. I recently discovered a few weeks ago that using a very thin hairband/headband with no metal pieces on it works very well. I found the perfect one a the dollar store the other day. Its like an exteremely large ouchless rubberband. I only wrap it twice and it is the perfect fit. It keeps my puff a nice size without looking flat. Make sure that what you use is not too tight. So look for a really stretchy band or something.

Kirei

I just recently BC'd and I don't have many accessories. I'm trying to make an afro puff but whenever I do it, my hair in the front is never slick and the puff looks more like a ponytail. What do you all use to make a puff? I can't think of anything looser than a hair band and tighter than a headband....

I cut my headband (the goody one, they're black) and wrap it once around my head, push it where I want my puff and then wrap it again and tie it. If I can't wrap it again, I just tie it.

HTH!!:yep:

Oh and to slick down your edges try water and a little condish.

ToyToy

Scunchi Headbands.
I don't know if that helps, but over here Accesorize sells these satin bra strap bands, that are made for the head, rather than the bra. They come three in a pack. They are really cool. You may find something similar in any shop that sells hair accessories.

Lyoness

I cut the leg of a pair of old tights. I cut a thickish strip I open that stip to form an O. I then put that O over my head to my neck. I'll smooth the perimeter of my hair and then holding the top of the O and place the puff at the height I like and then twist and double the O.

That's the only method that has worked for me, any other way and it looks like a regular pony tail.

Qurlyqt

When I first went natural, I would double wrap head bands and push them up but they began to take a toll on my hairline.

Now the key for me is to fluff my hair prior to making the bun. Then I smoothe it up like I'm going to make a ponytail. I take the scrunchee, elastic, whatever I'm using to hold my hair and only wrap it around my hair ONCE. Then I spread my hair out and fluff some more until its as big as I like.

As far as smoothing your hair so that it lays down, I always apply a moisturizer FIRST, then gel. HTH

bnatural

I use the really stretchy headbands and IC fantasia gel (the clear kind). I have also used a knee high but for some reason I can't get it just right anymore. The headbands work well and its quick and easy.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I use a knee high. I used to use those ouchless headbands but they don't work as well anymore.