Natural tutorial for blow drying?

zzirvingj

Does anyone have a tutorial for blow-drying natural hair? I'm in need of one BAD. Although I don't plan on pressing again for a while, a weakness of mine is getting my hair straight using the blow dryer. It's usually a big poof ball. If I could get it straighter with the dryer my presses would come out better. I notice that in the salon they get it super duper straight with the blow dryer.

But when *I* blow dry my hair, it just doesn't wanna come out that straight :perplexed. I think one problem for me is my "hand/arm coordination". I use a paddle brush with my blow dryer to blow out my hair. It's HARD to maneuver both at the same time!

Please help!

Last edited:

Mystic

i know what you mean because the same thing happens to me. I think the technique at the salon is that they seem to use the highest heat!! and they put the dryer so close to the hair while brushing it out. They also seem to concentrate long on one spot before moving to the next.

Bumping for more responses.

Keedah

When I blow dry my hair it helps to seperate it into 4 sections and focus on one section at a time. I use a paddle brush and make sure I detangle well before drying. I never get my hair salon straight but usually my goal is a blown out fro.

dlove

I would like to hear from you recent big choppers. I have a 4b thick tightly coiled and compact 1/2 in. afro with major shrinkage (when wet its 4 inches) and I would like to wear it straight. How do you blow dry?

Wow I need to get one of those blowdrier/brush combos. I cringed a little bit at the smoke from the flat iron but other than that it looked pretty good.

It did look good right? When I first saw that video, I was soo convinced. I knew there had to be a way to get 4a/b natural hair as silky, bouncy and flowy as the dominicans do it. I guess I had found my answer. :grin:

glamazon386

It did look good right? When I first saw that video, I was soo convinced. I knew there had to be a way to get 4a/b natural hair as silky, bouncy and flowy as the dominicans do it. I guess I had found my answer. :grin:

Yeah my hairdresser can do it but I doubt I could do it at home. But with that brush I might be able to :scratchch And it's all in one step. He blowdries with a paddle first and then flat irons. I wonder what setting she put it on?

SweetMarshCrystal - where'd you buy yours and was it expensive? I think I'm gonna go to Target and see if I can find one. I said I was gonna try and straighten my hair this week since it's finally cool out.

Last edited:

PinkSkates

Also, remember the perfect blow dryer means very little without precise technique. When a hair stylist is blow drying your hair they are in a better position to get to the right angle, pressure, and heat direction on your hair. Standing over your own head is something we simply can't do. I think that's why a salon style can have lots of movement and durability versus an at-home effort that falls out or is still frizzy after you're done. So once my friend who is a pro hair stylist (he works on different movie sets as a hairdresser) broke it down to me like this. My hubby video taped him blow drying and styling my hair. And he gave step by step instructions as he did my hair. I've been able to come pretty close to styling my hair just as well as he could.

Yeah my hairdresser can do it but I doubt I could do it at home. But with that brush I might be able to :scratchch And it's all in one step. He blowdries with a paddle first and then flat irons. I wonder what setting she put it on?

SweetMarshCrystal - where'd you buy yours and was it expensive? I think I'm gonna go to Target and see if I can find one. I said I was gonna try and straighten my hair this week since it's finally cool out.

I bought mine online on ebay.com for as little as $40.00 - new in the box!!! Which included both the blowdryer and flat iron. There's both a hot and cool setting. The hot setting gets ur hair reallly really straight without the need of even flat ironing. But the flat ironing gets ur hair soooo silky! I love it!

kweenameena

that was a good video. I might have to buy the set for myself (once I get a job)

eta: did ya'll hear the little girl say "ouch" with all that attitude in the beginning. It reminded me of when my mother used to do my hair when I was younger (and older:look:):lachen:

dlove

My hair is too short for that brush. I guess I'll be trying the paddle brush technique until my 4 inches grow longer:ohwell: