I CANNOT blow dry my natural hair

zzirvingj

Please tell me someone has a tutorial on blow drying natural 4a/b hair? I am kind of awkward with my hands and have a VERY hard time holding the blow dryer AND paddle brush at the same time. I just don't see how ya'll do it!

I feel like I need a blow dryer that has some sort of comb attached to it....do any naturals own and use such a dryer?

Any tips on techniques for blow drying natural hair would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Last edited:

Nola Darling

You can come out a section, put on your heat protectant, and then stretch you hair out straight as you blow dry.(Pink skates does this and has it in her fotki) Let it get half way dry, then use your brush. Hope that helps. I only use my brush when I want it super straight. Other wise I feel like I'm pulling out too many strands.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I can't blowdry with a brush in one hand and a blowdryer in the other hand either. I have to use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I just take a section of hair, hold it taut at the ends, and begin blowdrying that section starting with the ends and then running it from root to ends. I blowdry the section until it is stretched out and dry. Hope that helps.

basketballbabe03

I can't blowdry with a brush in one hand and a blowdryer in the other hand either. I have to use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I just take a section of hair, hold it taut at the ends, and begin blowdrying that section starting with the ends and then running it from root to ends. I blowdry the section until it is stretched out and dry. Hope that helps.

I use the same technique. I can't use a brush when blow drying because I feel like I'm ripping my hair out.

zzirvingj

For those that are using a dryer with a comb attachment, which one are you using and would you recommend it?

I need some suggestions :drunk:

MJ

For those that are using a dryer with a comb attachment, which one are you using and would you recommend it?

I need some suggestions :drunk:

I have this one.

Country gal

I use the revlon blowdryer with a brush. It helps to straighten the hair while drying it. Black cardinal uses it too.

hrtbndr21

Yep comb/pick attachment is the way to go. When I was relaxed I could blow dry my hair using the two handed comb dryer technique but now that I'm natural "fahghetaboutit" :lachen:. I can't recomend any specific brands but getting a blow dryer with a pick attachement included or a pick made for the model dryer you have instead of purchasing those universal ones would be best. I find that combing through my natural very thick 4a hair the pick would fall off a lot with the one size fits all comb attachement.

Use your heat protectant of choice and hit the ends of a section first before running the comb through the length.

strawberry-jelly

I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I also let my hair airdry in a bun or a few big braids about 80% of the way to stretch it out some, so I'm not using so much heat. This is the blowdryer I have and I LUV it. Also, it's a ceramic blowdryer by Andis. Costs about 25 bucks.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

I am not completely natural yet... I have 7 months of natural Rudy roots.

I do the same as poobear. That paddle brush thing is never gonna happen for me.:nono:

stargazer613

Co-signing on the blowdryer with the comb attachment....I section my hair starting from the back, and blowdry from the roots down, and this gets my hair semi-straight and makes it easier for me to press and flat iron. I have the Conair Gold Pro that I purchased from Sally's Beauty a few years ago; I think I paid about $20 for it. HTH :)

meaganita

I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I also let my hair airdry in a bun or a few big braids about 80% of the way to stretch it out some, so I'm not using so much heat. This is the blowdryer I have and I LUV it.

I used to have one similar to this; but I broke the comb attachement.:look: So now I just blowdry without one. My next blowdrier is going to be an ionic one...That way I can blowdry my hair straight, but on the "cool" setting. Less damage, same results!;)

strawberry-jelly

I used to have one similar to this; but I broke the comb attachement.:look: So now I just blowdry without one. My next blowdrier is going to be an ionic one...That way I can blowdry my hair straight, but on the "cool" setting. Less damage, same results!;)

Yes I love it. I also edited my post to add that it's a ceramic blowdryer. That may make a difference to some I guess. All I know is that it works great. Since getting this, I now flat iron on a lower setting.

zzirvingj

I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I also let my hair airdry in a bun or a few big braids about 80% of the way to stretch it out some, so I'm not using so much heat. This is the blowdryer I have and I LUV it. Also, it's a ceramic blowdryer by Andis. Costs about 25 bucks.

Ooo! This looks like something that would work on my hair!

zzirvingj

Yes I love it. I also edited my post to add that it's a ceramic blowdryer. That may make a difference to some I guess. All I know is that it works great. Since getting this, I now flat iron on a lower setting.

I saw that...which is great :drunk: Quick question...what is the difference between ceramic and ionic?

basketballbabe03

Yep comb/pick attachment is the way to go. When I was relaxed I could blow dry my hair using the two handed comb dryer technique but now that I'm natural "fahghetaboutit" :lachen:. I can't recomend any specific brands but getting a blow dryer with a pick attachement included or a pick made for the model dryer you have instead of purchasing those universal ones would be best. I find that combing through my natural very thick 4a hair the pick would fall off a lot with the one size fits all comb attachement.

Use your heat protectant of choice and hit the ends of a section first before running the comb through the length.

ITA. Some of the universal attachments aren't that great. One that I had was kinda cheep and my hair would get snagged. Another one I had wasn't strong enough and the teeth kept breaking.

glamazon386

I have one like this too. But the damn combs kept breaking. Even when I was relaxed. I still use it but I use the paddle brush. I tried using my roommates last week with the comb attachment and it worked pretty good though. I just had to make sure I combed through my hair good before blowdrying.

Countrygal, what kind of blowdryer/brush combo are you using? I saw one on a youtube tutorial last week and I'm thinking about buying one.

Last edited:

Bubblingbrownshuga

Why not? :perplexed

I think I know what she means. I have a hand dryer similar to the one she posted and girl, just put it like this...it was a waste of money AND time. She's still texlaxed so that dryer would give her a sleek look, but honestly, not with natural hair :nono: Talk about poofarama!!

strawberry-jelly

I think I know what she means. I have a hand dryer similar to the one she posted and girl, just put it like this...it was a waste of money AND time. She's still texlaxed so that dryer would give her a sleek look, but honestly, not with natural hair :nono: Talk about poofarama!!

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm 6 months into my transition, so I have a lot of newgrowth. haha The blowdryer works great. I mean, it gets it pretty straight so that I don't even have to flat iron on as high of a setting as I use to.

glamazon386

I haven't had any problems. But I blow dry with damp hair that has been stretched from airdrying partially in a bun or a couple braids. So that makes the comb run through my hair easier.

It broke a long time ago when I was relaxed. I've had the dryer for 5 or 6 years. I haven't used the original combs that came with the dryer on my natural hair at all. Mines was a Conair dryer. But it was ionic and shaped like that. I think the combs were just cheap. My roommate said she used to have the same one and she sent in for replacement combs and it broke too.

strawberry-jelly

It broke a long time ago when I was relaxed. I've had the dryer for 5 or 6 years. I haven't used the original combs that came with the dryer on my natural hair at all. Mines was a Conair dryer. But it was ionic and shaped like that. I think the combs were just cheap. My roommate said she used to have the same one and she sent in for replacement combs and it broke too.

Oh wow. Well, hopefully the difference in brand will make a difference. Don't scare me! haha But then again at 25 bucks, I'd buy new one a couple times a year and not really sweat it. That's how much it's made blowdrying easier for me.

glamazon386

Oh wow. Well, hopefully the difference in brand will make a difference. Don't scare me! haha But then again at 25 bucks, I'd buy new one a couple times a year and not really sweat it. That's how much it's made blowdrying easier for me.

Yeah I think that's about how much I paid. I never really cared because even when I was relaxed I rarely blowdried my hair. I went to the salon and got it done every 2 weeks. And if I did wash my own hair at home I always let it airdry because I was lazy. I had only bought the blow dryer when I went to college so that I would have one just in case. I just recently pulled it out again and decided to try and use it. I always airdry my hair. I think I'm gonna buy one of those brush blowdrier combo things though. I was looking at one in the store yesterday.

pattycake0701

This was my problem that I had this past weekend. My hair was about 75% dry and I wanted to smooth it out some with the blow dryer. I had a brush in one hand and the blow dryer in the other. It was too tiresome, awkward, and time consuming this way. I was thinking about getting one of these...

Jilbere Ceramic Tools Hot Air Brush from Sally's....$19.99 (or $17.99) w/ card.

I tried using the pick attachment for blow dryers back in the day when I was relaxed in the teeth would break off in my hair.

If I don't get the hot air brush, I'll get something like this to hold my dryer while I use the brush...

Last edited: