Natural SISTAHS...How do you wear your hair???

oooop2

If you normally wear it in twist, how do you JAZZ up your style so it's not boring or (in some peoples opinion) looking like a childs hairstyle?

If you wear a wash-n-go ponytail, how are you preventing those little knots from forming on the ends of your hair? And if you aren't doing anything to prevent them, do they bother you?

If you wear a fro, how are you preventing it from looking dry or getting matted?

If you flat-iron often, what are you doing to you hair in the bath/shower or while working out to prevent it from frizzing back to its normal state.

I'm at a crossroads with my hair at present. I'm not into braids, wigs, or weaves, so that's not an option. I'm just tired of my twist hairstyles, I really don't like wearing a fro, and it seems like when I wear a wash-n-go ponytail a lot, I get an increase in knots at the ends of my hair. Right now, my beloved effortless boycut hairstyle is very appealing....

Thanks in advance for the input :)

Any loose hair can spell trouble for me (while natural)

I really only wear a contained pony tail or a bun

have you tried twist outs or braid outs?

I cant do it much , but it might be another option for you

This is the crossroad many face with natural hair

its full of its own limitations, but when you really think about it , there are always limitations, and there will be a new set of them if you should cut (just something to keep in mind)

sometimes we just need a change:spinning:

when i wash n go piny tails i don't think i get them balls but i don't do wash n go pony tails

with fros i find getting a good moisturisers and using my hands to stretch out my fro by lightly pulling make it look better when it start looking a bit matted

i barely flat iron so idk

because it's winter styles go out the winter the cold just drys out and make it crispy so i have to bun the only way my hair doen't tangle in winter.i try to jazz it up by doing different protective styles and adding colourful scarfs and accessories so it's still cute

oh but to answer the question about flat ironed hair

When I press I usually do have to do touch ups/run through it again to keep it going.

I wear buns most of the time. It's just easier for me.

When I do twists, I just wear them down, or in a ponytail.

I mostly wear my hair in a ponytail, bun or wash n' go. I never noticed that I got the single strand knots till I flat ironed my hair yesterday. But the knots were only in the nape section of my hair (where I sometime don't moisturize as well). I think keeping th hair well moisturized can prevent these.

As far as jazzing styles up, I am horrible at this (I feel most of the natural styles I wear make me look way younger than I am--which for me is bad). That's why I decided to flat iron my hair, I needed a change.

When my hair is out, it's in a wash and go or a bun. I wear the occasional twist or braid out. I don't really have problems with knots or tangling but I've noticed that if my hair in the nape gets dry it will get those pixie knots. As long as I keep it moisturized, I won't get them.

When I wear my hair flat ironed I wrap it and wear a scarf, then a bonnet to bed. When I shower I put a showercap on top. That keeps it from reverting.

Last edited:
I mostly wear my hair in a ponytail, bun or wash n' go. I never noticed that I got the single strand knots till I flat ironed my hair yesterday. But the knots were only in the nape section of my hair (where I sometime don't moisturize as well). I think keeping th hair well moisturized can prevent these.

As far as jazzing styles up, I am horrible at this (I feel most of the natural styles I wear make me look way younger than I am--which for me is bad). That's why I decided to flat iron my hair, I needed a change.

I've seen a few throughout my hair when it's straight too. It's like where'd they come from? I rarely see them when it's in it's natural state. And if so, it's only in the nape. I think that part gets wet when I shower and it draws up.

Most of the time, I wear buns or I just clip my hair up. When I have two strand twist in, to jazz it up I either pin it up or even put rollers in my hair to make it super curly. As for the wash and go's with the pony tails, I usually run my denman brush through it so I don't have to worry about knots later on.

Everything for me begins and ends with the braidout. At night, I plait my hair into six to eight big braids. By morning I just shake and go. I don't even have to use any head band to hold my hair in place. I use a comb on the left or right side and have some side bangs.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Here are ways I have worn my hair:

Twists:
CurledTwistsNoFace-vi.jpg

SimpleTwistUpdo-vi.jpg

BraidoutonTwistsJuly2006-vi.jpg

TwistandPhonyPuffCozySept2008-vi.jpg

"Afro":
AnotherPuffDoMarch2007-vi.jpg

ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

Pressed:
BraidsPressedHair120806-vi.jpg

AtWorkwUncombedHair112906-vi.jpg

Picture017-vi.jpg

bitmap54564-vi.jpg

Braids:
FreshlyDoneBraidsDec2003-vi.jpg

Back2BraidsnofaceJan2005-vi.jpg

AirdryingUpdoBraids-vi.jpg

bitmap16571-vi.jpg

bitmap61863-vi.jpg

If you normally wear it in twist, how do you JAZZ up your style so it's not boring or (in some peoples opinion) looking like a childs hairstyle?
When I start off wearing twists, I wear them straight down. To switch up the style, I may take all my twists and put them up into a butterfly clamp in the back of my head. I also may wear the twists half up/half down with the top half in a ponytail holder or clip. With that style, I may leave a couple of twists out in the front to frame my face.

If you wear a wash-n-go ponytail, how are you preventing those little knots from forming on the ends of your hair? And if you aren't doing anything to prevent them, do they bother you?
I don't wear a wash-n-go ponytail because my hair is too shrinky to wear one. Blowdrying after washing, conditioning, and detangling my hair has kept me from having single-strand knots.

If you wear a fro, how are you preventing it from looking dry or getting matted?
I wear my hair in a stretched out afro most of the time. But it's more like a fluffy undefined twistout or braidout. To keep it from looking dry or getting matted, I will twist or plait my hair at night. I know some people are opposed to this product, but I use grease to keep my hair from getting dry or matted.

If you flat-iron often, what are you doing to you hair in the bath/shower or while working out to prevent it from frizzing back to its normal state.
I don't flat-iron often but when I do flat-iron my hair, I just keep my hair wrapped around my head and I wear a scarf over my hair. I flat-iron with Proclaim grease and it keeps my hair from reverting for weeks. If my ends do happen to get frizzy after unwrapping during the third week or so, I'll just touch up my hair with a curling iron or flat-iron (my hair can take a lot of heat without the damaging effects).

I'm at a crossroads with my hair at present. I'm not into braids, wigs, or weaves, so that's not an option. I'm just tired of my twist hairstyles, I really don't like wearing a fro, and it seems like when I wear a wash-n-go ponytail a lot, I get an increase in knots at the ends of my hair. Right now, my beloved effortless boycut hairstyle is very appealing....
Thanks in advance for the input :)

I feel you. I don't like braids, weaves, or wigs either. I get bored easily with hairstyles too, so that's why I'm always switching up styles and routines. But to be honest, if my hair was long enough (like BSL or longer) and big enough to wear a bun, I would wear a bun most of the time like a lot of ladies here with long hair. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
ITA with all the other ladies. I love wash and go's, two-strand twists, puff, and finger coils. I plan to experiment with twist-outs, braid-outs and the twist and curl method in the wintertime. Natural hair is very versatile and offers a lot of choices which include the occasional blow out and flat iron. Be careful of heat though because it can be damaging if done improperly and too often. Switch it up with a roller-set as well.

Most of all, remember to have fun with it!!

how about accessories. do you wear your twists the same way? have you tried flat twists styles, setting them on rollers or rods, wearing twists or braid outs? do you moisturize your hair really well when doing a wash and go? when my hair was a little bit longer like 6 to 7 inches i was doing something different to my hair every week. the options are endless. i would look at some photo albums to get some ideas.

Thanks ladies for all of your input....

how about accessories.
I tend to wear a flower ponytail band. I also have cute silk fabric headbands to jazz up my hair.

do you wear your twists the same way?
Yes, unfortunately I do wear my twist the same way. I have done flattwist 1x.

have you tried flat twists styles, setting them on rollers or rods, wearing twists or braid outs?
Normally I wear my twist for 1wk, then twistouts for about 4 days. But I did twist last Friday and I really hated the way they looked. And I hated the twistouts even more, so I immediately washed my hair. I have no idea what I did differently, as I normally don't have a bad experience w/ my twist or twistouts.

do you moisturize your hair really well when doing a wash and go?
I think I am, but maybe I'm not. When I do my wash and go, I co-wash my hair. On damp/wet hair I apply my glycerin-aloe mix, some Pantene leave in condish and coconut oil. I then work it through my hair and place hair in a ponytail. I then add styling gel along my front and lightly brush to reduce the frizz look. But at the end of the day, I can definitely feel those tiny knots on my strands. I even try to really tuck my hair under, as I have a BAD habit of trying to pick them off, breaking more hair than necessary in the process...

when my hair was a little bit longer like 6 to 7 inches i was doing something different to my hair every week. the options are endless.

i would look at some photo albums to get some ideas.
Yes...I really need to do this before I pull out my husbands clippers.

Right now im in braids w/ extensions because my hair been thriving by doing this. In 2 days exactly it will make a month since I had them in. Ive been starting to look crazy because of my new growth and the ends are starting to look blah. When it starts to get fuzzy I jazz it up by cutting my braids in more layers and clipping the ends of the extensions. ( my braids are braided to my hair than knotted past the ends and let loose) which gives me the option to play around with it changing styles and refreshing it when it looks blah. I miss my hair but its a scarifice not seeing it because im trying to keep it at low manipulation regimen.

I mix it up...I do wear loose styles a lot, but only paritally loose. I braid up the front, then I play with the back...twist outs, bantu knot outs, braid outs.

If my entire head is out, I cowash, put some big twists in (just for sleeping, and it helps to stretch my hair a bit), then I style in the morning.

Hope that helps!

I wear buns...in 2 different forms. One is putting the hair into apony tail and then pinning the hair downward. The second one is the donut or Mwedzi's bun.

I do twists and braids, usually i wear them down. Or I style them like I would loose hair: hair down and up, bun it, flat twists, messy bun...all of those things.

I'm still trying to figure out hairstyles without having to run to the flat iron. I normally wear it in a ponytail, especially now that its getting longer and it has some length to it.

If I wear it in a wash n go I'll sweep a small section in the front to the side, tucked under my ear and wear the rest curly.

Attachments

• CurlyGirl.JPG
    CurlyGirl.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 9
I wear two strand twists in updo's of some sort - my hair isn't long enough to wear them out, just yet.

I wear my hair in twists or finger coils, gelled down in the front puff in the back (like in my avatar) sometimes I'll wear it in a bun or I'll make one large twist and put a octopus clip on it.

Back