natural/organic product users post your staples and reviews

blessedandlucky

this is an update for an older thread that didn't have that many entries a few years ago. when i started building my reggie, i wanted to use natural/organic products and did a ton of research. thought it would be helpful to have this here for others who may be looking to do the same thing..

here are a few of my staples and thoughts:

abba pure moisture shampoo - very gentle shampoo. sometimes it even tingles. don't expect lather.

abba pure moisture conditioner - i really like this conditioner. pretty good slip. it does have a soy protein, i believe, but it's pretty far down on the ingredient list.

the combination of the shampoo and conditioner eliminated my dry scalp issues.

aubrey organics gpb conditioner - i started using this recently. so far, so good although i do choose to use a conditioner after it.

just picked up: mod extreme moisture to use as a deep conditioner and will review later.

natural product users, chime in please! :look: oh, and be sure to include your hair type - i'm relaxed 4a/b.

*Muffin*

I love:

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Replenishing Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner (before the ingredient change)
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner
Red Clay*
Virgin Coconut Oil*
Coconut Milk*
Cocoa Powder*
Safflower Oil*
Green Tea*
Honey*
Lemon Juice*

*These aren't really product brands, but my hair loves them and I use them regularly :yep:.

Babylilac

I love:

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Replenishing Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner (before the ingredient change)
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner
Red Clay*
Virgin Coconut Oil*
Coconut Milk*
Cocoa Powder*
Safflower Oil*
Green Tea*
Honey*
Lemon Juice*

*These aren't really product brands, but my hair loves them and I use them regularly :yep:.
Hey Muffin
Tell a newbie here what do you lemon juice for?In a conditioner/shampoo or what I am lost here

Divine Inspiration

J/A/S/O/N's Sea Kelp poo and con - great products; the poo doesn't strip my hair and contains no siufates

J/A/S/O/N's Biotin poo and con - these leave my hair feeling very "conditioned"...strong but elastic

Aubrey's GPB - great protein treatment, especially for natural hair that doesn't need a lot of protein

Aubrey's HSR - great moisturizing DC

Nature's Gate Revitalizing Hair Masque - tons of moisture, decent slip, super soft hair

Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner - great for weekly use, infuses hair with moisture

Organic coconut oil - a must have, great for wet and dry hair

Organic olive oil - perfect addition to DC

Castor oil - great for prepoos and DCs, keeps hair thick and supple

V05 Strawberries and Cream isn't considered "natural" per se, but it's paraben free and my hair loves it.

*Muffin*

Hey Muffin
Tell a newbie here what do you lemon juice for?In a conditioner/shampoo or what I am lost here

Lemon juice is good to use as a final rinse for your hair. It's acidic so it seals the hair cuticle, making it lie flat and gives your hair great shine. It's also good for eliminating product build-up. I use about a tablespoon full when I rinse my hair (you don't want to use too much of it because it's strong). I used to do lemon rinses with plain water before, but now I add the lemon juice to my tea rinses (I brew a cup of green tea, put about a teaspoon of honey in with it, and then about a tablespoon of lemon juice and add it to approximately a quart of cool water). It should always be diluted before rinsing your hair with it.

letitgrow0702

Lemon juice is good to use as a final rinse for your hair. It's acidic so it seals the hair cuticle, making it lie flat and gives your hair great shine. It's also good for eliminating product build-up. I use about a tablespoon full when I rinse my hair (you don't want to use too much of it because it's strong). I used to do lemon rinses with plain water before, but now I add the lemon juice to my tea rinses (I brew a cup of green tea, put about a teaspoon of honey in with it, and then about a tablespoon of lemon juice and add it to approximately a quart of cool water). It should always be diluted before rinsing your hair with it.

I have a question about the bolded. If your cuticle does not flat, can this be noticable when you flat iron your hair? I notice that when my stylsit does my hair the hair strands seem so smooth. However, when I do it it doesn't. Its like I have these hairs sticking up. I tried to take a pic but couldn't get a good one. TIA.

sydwrites

Trader Joes Nourish Spa
I just receive some Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea and Moisture plus conditioner that I cant wait to try so i'm hoping it does well.
I also do herbal oil infusions for hot oil treatments that I'm having success with thus far

covington

Milcreek Bontanicals( Natural organic Ingredients)

Jojoba shampoo
aloe vera condition
Biotin contioner

Nature's Gate Organics
Tea Tree & Blue Cypress Conditioner
Jojoba Revitalizing Conditioner

Evoo
coconut oil
castor oil
fish oil
honey

msa

I use all natural products. My biggest staple is water, I wet my hair everyday and water is my only moisturizer.

Castor oil...use this everyday. I add it to my wet hair out of the shower. Once my hair dries it's so soft. I think it keeps my hair protected since I air dry in a puff/fro every day. It's such a thick oil but it spreads easily on wet hair.

Baking soda...use this about once a week. I dilute about a palmful in 16oz of water. It's the perfect shampoo. Doesn't dry my hair out, gets rid of any build up, and it's cheap. One box lasts forever and it's only 89 cents.

Rose water...use this everyday to make my hair smell good. Just spray it on.

Coconut milk
...use this whenever I do a baking soda wash...or just when I feel like it...great conditioner for cowashing...light protein...smells yummy...probably has some of the same properties as coconut oil...always leaves my hair feeling strong...less than a dollar per can...I just pour it all on in the shower and leave it on till the end and then rinse.

Caramel treatment (honey, bananas, blackstrap molasses, olive oil, acv, wheat germ oil)...use this about once a month, though I should do it more, I'm just lazy. Great DC, super moisturizing, easy to find ingredients, easy to make.

Other things I have used...

castile soap...great shampoo...needs to be diluted...made my hair dry but lots of other people love it.

olive oil...good for detangling (and shaving your legs).

coconut oil...at one point I couldn't live without my virgin coconut oil...I don't use it much now because I just wash and go every day. But it really does nourish the hair. Sometimes I just use it overnight as a conditioner and it absorbs completely. It's great to do before washing.

Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner...great conditioner...can be used as a DC...perfect for rinsing out, really moisturizing, can also be used as a leave in. I used it a lot when I was in braids, just left it all in.

Oyin Juices & Berries...I just used this as hair perfume, didn't find it especially moisturizing or anything.

Oyin Whipped Pudding...great moisturizer for my hair and scalp while in weaves.

AO GPB...good for protein...wasn't too excited about the smell.

Giovanni 50:50 conditioner...good for cowashing...not great, but good.

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture conditioner...loved this as a DC...I used it overnight....great moisture and I liked the way it smelled.

I dropped Oyin, AO, and Giovanni because they weren't 100% natural.

Things I want to try...

tea rinsing...seems like a good idea...muffin I might steal your tea/lemon/honey recipe

aloe vera juice...didn't really like aloe vera gel (but it wasn't all natural so that may have been why)...hoping this will be moisturizing.

acv...have never done an acv rinse but Nonie swears by them so they must be good.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

I have a question about the bolded. If your cuticle does not flat, can this be noticable when you flat iron your hair? I notice that when my stylsit does my hair the hair strands seem so smooth. However, when I do it it doesn't. Its like I have these hairs sticking up. I tried to take a pic but couldn't get a good one. TIA.

Yes. If your cuticle does not lie flat then your flat ironed hair won't appear as shiny or feel as smooth. It also depends on what kind of plates your flat iron has. The best kind of plates contain tourmaline(like tourmaline/ceramic flat irons) in it, which gives off a negative charge. The negative ions react with your hair's naturally negative charge and repel the cuticle, making it lie flat and givng your hair a smoother look. Flat irons that contain ceramic alone are good and less damaging than metal flat irons, but they won't make your cuticle lie flat if it already doesn't.

letitgrow0702

Yes. If your cuticle does not lie flat then your flat ironed hair won't appear as shiny or feel as smooth. It also depends on what kind of plates your flat iron has. The best kind of plates contain tourmaline(like tourmaline/ceramic flat irons) in it, which gives off a negative charge. The negative ions react with your hair's naturally negative charge and repel the cuticle, making it lie flat and givng your hair a smoother look. Flat irons that contain ceramic alone are good and less damaging than metal flat irons, but they won't make your cuticle lie flat if it already doesn't.

Thank you so much! This drives me crazy about my hair. I am going to invest in a new flat iron.

Healthb4Length

I've been phasing out alot of my non natural products. I use the following and my hair is in love!

Shampoos

1. ABBA Moist shampoo---love love love! Detangles, softens and lots of slip!
2. Mastey creme moisturizing shampoos--low lather but provides alot of moisture
3. J/A/S/O/N Sea Kelp Shampoo--great shampoo

Conditioners

1. AO White Camellia conditioner--so much moisture and slip!
2. AO Island spice-same as above
3. AO J.A.Y.--great moisture
4. Yes to Carrots Pampering mud conditioner
5. Ojon Tawaka conditioner--LOVE this stuff!!! Perfection!
6. Ojon Ultra Hydrating conditioner--loads of moisture!
7. Ultra Black Hair Conditioner--not 100% natural but pretty close! It STOPS breakage! I'll never be without this stuff!

Oils

1. Avocado
2. Castor
3. Shea

Moisturizers

1. Jane Carter Solutions Nourish and Shine

Misc.

*I want to try Wen products
*I wish I could find a natural alternative to Aphogee 2 step treatment that's not as expensive as Aveda products
*I enjoy mixing up conditioners with oils and making various mixes with coconut milk and honey.
*Ayurvedics does not work for me.

KizzieNapps

Cant live without my Shikakai Shampoo Bar also Coconut milk works really well when mixed with my conditioner. Staple oils are Jojoba, Castor and Almond

Soul♥Flower

DuDu Osun Black Soap
I just recently discovered this as a shampoo and I have since thrown out/ given away all my shampoos. Now when I wash my hair it doesn't take like 2 and 3 days to "recover". I lurve it :)

Castor oil and molasses
I use this as a pre-poo and it allows me to smooth/stretch my small coils into big curls if I want, I guess it's b/c of the castor oil.

Lucky's Mom

Shampoos

Homemade shampoo with castile soap, Oils, Tea, and EO's
Baking soda and water

Conditioners

DC's - Caramel, coconut & lime, eggs
Homemade Condish
Indian powders.....

Oils

1. Avocado
2. coconut
3. Olive

Moisturizers

Aloe vera mixes of all sorts

adw425

Coconut oil bar by Earth's Soap; shikakai bar or Grandpa's pine tar oil bar - shampoo weekly or Nature's Gate herbal shampoo; Trader Joe's REFRESH citrus shampoo for clarifying

Mill Creek keratin - use weekly overnight; after rinsing strong hair with tremendously loosened texture

Nature's Gate jojoba revitalizing conditioner - weekly final moisturizing conditioner; soft, silky hair

Yogurt, buttermilk powder, aloe vera, avocado, honey, coconut milk - weekly DC

Aloe vera, Liquikelp, ACV, liquid MSM, coconut, tea tree and jojoba oils, neem and bee pollen powders - scalp concoction - use five times a week

Nettle, horsetail and aloe vera CO washes three times a week - spray hair with the nettle/ht/av mixture and layer conditioner over; leave on for 20 minutes and rinse -- soft, strong, detangled hair. This combats breakage and shedding for me and is a master detangler.

Tea rinses - Nettle, rosemary, kelp, irish moss, burdock, chamomile, tulsi, oatstraw twice a month after shampooing and conditioning

Myhoneychild buttery soy cream moisturizer

MOP (Modern Organic Products) leave-in; Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic gingko leaf and ginseng root moisturizing jelly, which I use as a leave-in and gets two thumbs up. When I need a gel, which is rare, I use Aubrey Organics b5 designing gel, which is conditioning and moisturizing with a soft hold.

Coconut oil (80%) mixed with camellia, castor, almond, grapeseed oils and shea butter (20%) infused with marshmallow, neem, shikakai, chamomile, calendula, wild cherry bark, cornsilk, hibiscus and nettle for sealing nightly (as evident, I have alot of herbs at my house so I am a prolific infuser...) - satiny-smooth feeling hair that does not dry out the next day and for pre-poos, oil rinses and hot oil treatments. This gives my hair the same feel as monoi oil, which is great because I love monoi oil, but not the price...

Other products in rotation: Nature's Gate aloe vera moisturizing; NG chamomile replenishing; Mill Creek aloe vera; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture and Triple Treat/Tea Tree; Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioners.

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
Dr. Bonners peppermint soap diluted is probably my best shampoo right now, I like AO island naturals conditoner I hate the shampoo, I do like JBCO and Peppermint oil, ACV rinses are the bomb! I havent tried baking soda yet but its on my list along with many other, I have many of the usual suspects when it comes to oils but I'm not terribly big on them, I use them sparingly, and so far shea butter hasn't let me down.

blessedandlucky

let me also add:

* sweet almond oil - i use this to prepoo. i buy it from the grocery store not from the health food store.
* jane carter nourish and shine - love this. a dab will do you, otherwise you'll end up with a greasy mess. i find it works really well after i use ntm silk touch leave-in (non-natural product but works so well i can't give it up!)
* mod extreme moisture seems promising. i just used it last wash and it left my hair very soft and moisturized.

thanks for participating, ladies!

youwillrise

i'm only using 2 products right now

aubrey organics white camellia conditioner and avocado butter.

i'm loving them both.

baddison

natural for good
I've been phasing out alot of my non natural products. I use the following and my hair is in love!

Shampoos

1. ABBA Moist shampoo---love love love! Detangles, softens and lots of slip!
2. Mastey creme moisturizing shampoos--low lather but provides alot of moisture
3. J/A/S/O/N Sea Kelp Shampoo--great shampoo

Conditioners

1. AO White Camellia conditioner--so much moisture and slip!
2. AO Island spice-same as above
3. AO J.A.Y.--great moisture
4. Yes to Carrots Pampering mud conditioner
5. Ojon Tawaka conditioner--LOVE this stuff!!! Perfection!
6. Ojon Ultra Hydrating conditioner--loads of moisture!
7. Ultra Black Hair Conditioner--not 100% natural but pretty close! It STOPS breakage! I'll never be without this stuff!

Oils

1. Avocado
2. Castor
3. Shea

Moisturizers

1. Jane Carter Solutions Nourish and Shine

Misc.

*I want to try Wen products
*I wish I could find a natural alternative to Aphogee 2 step treatment that's not as expensive as Aveda products
*I enjoy mixing up conditioners with oils and making various mixes with coconut milk and honey.
*Ayurvedics does not work for me.

I am also in search of a solution for natural protein products. I have just purchased two products to try:
1) Aubrey Organics, Hair Rescue, Blue Green Algae Conditioning Mask
Suggested Use Stir contents before using. Apply this protein-rich mask to dry hair, distributing from scalp to ends. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse and shampoo remaining mask out of hair with your favorite Aubrey Organics shampoo. Use once a week or as often as needed.

Supplement Facts Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Aloe Vera, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Red Algae Extract, Lavender Water, Organic Blue Green Algae

2) Aubrey Organics, BGA Protein +, Strengthening Cream Rinse
Health food for your hair. Nourish and rebuild thin or damaged hair and prevent breakage with this protein-enriched cream rinse. Lightweight but effective formula loaded with vital nutrients strengthens damaged areas and leaves hair naturally shiny and full.
Suggested Use Shake well before using. After shampooing, apply to damp hair and work through, concentrating on the ends. Leave on for 1 or 2 minutes, then rinse.

Supplement Facts FeaturesBenefitsOrganic Blue Green AlgaeHigh in protein & amino acids; strengthens hair fiber & tones scalpOrganic AloeReplenishes moistureMilk ThistleAntioxidant; protects and soothes hair & scalpDeionized Water, Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Almond Protein, Organic Blue Green Algae, Milk Thistle Extract, Organic Lavender Oil, Rosewater, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Once I get it, I wil give a review.....

blessedandlucky

also wanted to give a thumbs up to the mop leave-in conditioner. detangled like a dream last wash. hopefully this will continue as i get deeper into my stretch - only 3 weeks post now. going for 11-12 weeks.

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

I am also in search of a solution for natural protein products. I have just purchased two products to try:
1) Aubrey Organics, Hair Rescue, Blue Green Algae Conditioning Mask
Suggested Use Stir contents before using. Apply this protein-rich mask to dry hair, distributing from scalp to ends. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse and shampoo remaining mask out of hair with your favorite Aubrey Organics shampoo. Use once a week or as often as needed.

Supplement Facts Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Aloe Vera, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Red Algae Extract, Lavender Water, Organic Blue Green Algae

2) Aubrey Organics, BGA Protein +, Strengthening Cream Rinse
Health food for your hair. Nourish and rebuild thin or damaged hair and prevent breakage with this protein-enriched cream rinse. Lightweight but effective formula loaded with vital nutrients strengthens damaged areas and leaves hair naturally shiny and full.
Suggested Use Shake well before using. After shampooing, apply to damp hair and work through, concentrating on the ends. Leave on for 1 or 2 minutes, then rinse.

Supplement Facts FeaturesBenefitsOrganic Blue Green AlgaeHigh in protein & amino acids; strengthens hair fiber & tones scalpOrganic AloeReplenishes moistureMilk ThistleAntioxidant; protects and soothes hair & scalpDeionized Water, Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Almond Protein, Organic Blue Green Algae, Milk Thistle Extract, Organic Lavender Oil, Rosewater, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Once I get it, I wil give a review.....

I use the Blue Green Algae mask from time to time but that little bitty thing is so expensive! $13 for 4oz, I often mix it with other conditioners to stretch it.

baddison

natural for good
I use the Blue Green Algae mask from time to time but that little bitty thing is so expensive! $13 for 4oz, I often mix it with other conditioners to stretch it.

Yeah...that's a bit pricey. I get it from VitaGlo.com for only $8.94, and I get the BGA Protein Creme Rinse for only $7.96:yep:

*Muffin*

I am very interested in Shampoo bars. I really don't like shampoo or liquid soaps much for my hair (seems like they spill a lot or otherwise get used up quickly). What shampoo bars are out there that work well and are affordable?