Natural Ladies, HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR END LOOKING GOOD?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I was doing a test to see my length. I only did one piece because my ends look like crap!:nono: I'm shocked to see that my ends look damaged. My TWA is finally growing and I do not want to cut anything if I don't have to. I won't be straitening again until the weather gets cold. I hope to have hair long enough to bun by November. I'm really shocked that next Friday will be 11 months since my last relaxer. I've never been without a relaxer this long.:lol: July 9 will be my 6 month post BC mark, since I did another BC in the end of January to rid me of the strait orange hair I got from henna.:rolleyes: I will update my avatar soon to show my length. I'll do it here. No more fotki updates for me.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Well since you asked, I believe in regular dusting. Both Nonie and I use this method to keep our ends looking decent. It basically involves trimming off roughly an 1/8 to 1/4 inch off on a regular schedule (say 6-8 weeks). In between dustings, I make sure I concentrate my moisturizing on my ends along with my conditioner.

empressri

oiling the hell out of them and snipping off any split ends i see. i dont care if it's one inch of split or 6 inches, off it goes. i dont hold onto any of them. and im prone to sit in the sunlight with my shears, having a go at my split ends.

keepithealthy

Well since you asked, I believe in regular dusting. Both Nonie and I use this method to keep our ends looking decent. It basically involves trimming off roughly an 1/8 to 1/4 inch off on a regular schedule (say 6-8 weeks). In between dustings, I make sure I concentrate my moisturizing on my ends along with my conditioner.

Great info^^^^^^ I do the same. My ends look pretty good. I usually straighten my hair because I just don't feel comfortable trimming curly hair. I'm still retaining good growth as well. Hoping to be bsl within the next month or two.

DDTexlaxed

I felt the same way about my ends till I started using wheat germ oil. Do you use ceramide rich oils and products?

I used ceremides when I was relaxed.:ohwell: I am still working on my regimen products. Since I have asked, do you ladies dust in twists? Is it possible to do without straitening the hair? I truly appreciate the advice.

Triniwegian

Bi-yearly trims. If your ends are ragged there is no other way to fix the problem but to snip them off.

I for one do not have the energy to dust, it takes too much time.

Evolving78

i dust/trim in twists. i have yet to straighten my hair. i talk about straightening my hair, but i really don't see it in the future. i am too much of a chicken baby when it comes to that. so, get a straight precise cut isn't what i aim for, but i try to be consistent of how much i cut off of each twist.

Prudent1

DDTexlaxed,
I thanked those who use the same methods I do to keep my ends looking healthy. I do S&D in twists, braids, or on straightened hair. In order to do a true trim though I have 2 cosmetologists I trust with my hair. They do my real dusting. I try to dust about every 3 or 4 months. Sealing and baggying at night have helped me tremendously.

faithVA

I don't dust on a schedule. When the ends of my twist start to tangle then I know its time to dust. I hadn't paid attention before but it probably is around 8 weeks. It is probably time now since I think I dusted the end of March.

I have dusted in twists, but the last time I dusted each section prior to twisting. Since I don't wear my hair straight I don't concern myself with it being even. In natural loose styles 1/4" won't be noticed on my hair.

Fhrizzball

I trim the section I'm going to twist and then after it's trimmed I twist. That way not all of the curls are hidden and you won't accidently cut off too much. Also it helps get my hair as straight as it can get curly without needlessy pressing or froing it out.

DDTexlaxed

I've been unsuccessful in straitening my hair so I'm happy to use different methods to have healthy ends. I'm going to look at you tube also for more visualization.

PJaye

What works for me has been weekly deep conditioning with quality products and the consistent use of oils (I trim approximately once a year).

Leeda.the.Paladin

I always make sure to wear something on my hair if I'm just around the house. I noticed that my head rubs up against a lot of things like the back of my recliner.

Moisturizing, followed by sealing the ends with oil

Search and destroy split ends

Wearing protective styles

alive

i generally snip them every December. i skimped on this last year and i was paying for it dearly in April so once i get rid of the last of my chewed up ends, i'm going back to my annual schedule :yep:

brucebettye

I trim or cut my hair at least every three months. I don't really examine my ends closely, but the way I tell they are going bad is if they tangle badly or my ends don't curl up nicely anymore. I do moisturize my ends at least every couple of days.

CurlsBazillion

I wanna dust one day too but because ima DIY chick w/ short hair I can't really see my ends to accurately dust them so I usually end up with 3/4 in or more cut off. Gonna ask someone I trust to take care of that for me for free.

Mandy4610

oiling the hell out of them and snipping off any split ends i see. i dont care if it's one inch of split or 6 inches, off it goes. i dont hold onto any of them. and im prone to sit in the sunlight with my shears, having a go at my split ends.

i moisturize the heck out of them and seal with castor oil. i dust every 8 weeks.

I always make sure to wear something on my hair if I'm just around the house. I noticed that my head rubs up against a lot of things like the back of my recliner.

Moisturizing, followed by sealing the ends with oil

Search and destroy split ends

Wearing protective styles

All these are methods I am either using or going to incorporate.

greenandchic

Seal nightly and moisturize daily. I trim my hair 2x a year and do S&D missions about every other month.

I generally use butters or pomades to seal ends: Oyin Burnt Sugar, Zipporah Beauty GF Green Tea Hair & Body Butter, homemade butters, etc.

pdiop81

Really interesting girls. I am really afraid of cutting or trimming but I think I will the club besause my ends don't look so good

lilyofthenile

Definitely dust your ends, also protect your ends, you don't want them to rub anywhere. If you have single strand knots, cut them out, don't rip them out. Dust your hair as your hair grows to get rid of the bad ends.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I find rollersetting really has helped keep my ends in check-it straightens them out and prevents knots.
I kinda have a policy with my hair now that I will use the fine tooth comb on my ends at least once every two weeks.