Natural Ladies, How Do You Bun?

Carrie A

I've always worn buns, however I haven't done one since my BC. During the transition I had relaxed ends that were easy to pin. Now a have a big spongy pony puff. How do I bun it? Seems like I should know this, but mine looked like a scraggly bees nest with a flap folded over. Coils are popping out here and yonder. My hair is difficult to twist like when you do a bun with relaxed hair.

msa

I only do it if my hair is already stretched (in twists or an out style) because it causes too much tension on my hair any other way.

This thread may help you come up with some ideas...natural bun pics.

Kurly K

i cowash then reapply a little conditioner and turn my head upside down and fingercomb and pull it into a bun folding the hair to the front. HTH

RMichelleM

i put my hair into a pony and tuck the ends under like a donut/sock bun without the donut/sock. my hair has enough volume on its own lol.

TCatt86

I rarely bun in the traditional sense, but I do the southerntease bun often. I don't really like the look of buns but her bun is an elegant twist to bunning.

Whimsy

maybe put in a ponytail and roll it under and pin. it's not a round circular bun, but it's up and curved and ur ends are safely hidden away.

Jazzmommy

Me too. I do mine however on wet hair. That is the only way, I would be able to put it in a ponytail holder

Same here... I have to wet my hair, gel it, and tie it down with a satin scarf in order for it look neat. I asked this question in another thread about co-washing/wet bunning. I need water and gel to hold my 4a/b tresses down.:nono:

Hairsofab

I've been natural for a little over two years and I can't fit my natural hair into a bun. The only way I can get it into some sort of bun is if I straighten it.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I was only able to bun my hair when I flat ironed it, I tried it in its natural state, didn't go too well:nono:.

Attachments

• DSC01803.jpg
    DSC01803.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01804.jpg
    DSC01804.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 16
My 'bun' isn't a bun in the sense of a donut or other with the hair tucked aroud it. I prefer a less-structured, more impromptu look (I've never been one for neat, sleek styles - probably because my character is so unorthodox to begin with).

Now, I just put my hair in a ponytail with a scrunchie, double it up, twist the length of the 'tail' and then on the triple-loop, don't pull the hair all the way through.

And like someone else said, I like the southern tease bun on natural hair, done loosely.

I'm JUST able to really do a good bun. As long as my hair is, it has just been tooooo thick to really do it without having a major headache at the end of the day.

half.cadence

Most of the times I do it wet. Sometimes I do it on dry stretched hair..

I usually use a sock or a couple of hair pins.

On dry hair I just cowash (or just spritz my hair with water) the morning before, put a little coconut oil or olive oil on, and plait it up in about 4-5 plaits. I pull it back finger combing then pin the front some kinda way (my hair is really short in the front..) Then use a scrunchie and a sock pin my hair around the sock.

wet I have to use my Jilbere or Denman to get it back. I cowash or wet my hair in the shower. Seal my hair with a little oil, Pull it back and gather it to my nape then apply the sock.,and tuck the ends under. Clip whatever short layers are sticking up. I'll sometimes use aloe vera gel in the front for it to be neat; other times I dont.

first pic done on dry hair..second on wet.

Attachments

• bun-vi.jpg
    bun-vi.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4741-vi.jpg
    IMG_4741-vi.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 24

Tinkerbell19

i guess it depends on the look like most times i put it in a ponytail then i roll it around my finger in 4 little sections and bobby pin or other times i just leave it in a curly puff and bobby pin the ends or just tuck it.

LovinLocks

Cowash (more often than not), get my donut and get busy. Learned how to make it from one of our member's tutorial on You Tube. It's made with socks (how ingenious). I love it.

After I get her all bunned up, I use Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair Butter and an old toothbrush and smooth out the front and sides (really I just love the smell of this stuff; it has Ylang-Ylang, sage, patchouli, bay and cedarwood, mmmmmmmm good). It makes my silver hair pop with shine too.

Oh, regarding pins and such; don't use 'em. The tutorial I saw said to take the top of a knee high (I cut the stocking part away) - after I make a ponytail with a knee-hi top I slide the donut on and against my head, spread my hair around the donut, take another knee-hi top and slide it over my hair at base of the donut bun, then I take my loose ends and wrap it around the base of the donut and tuck it under the knee-hi thingy. Voila! No pins, ends protected, moistured and happy all day.

Everytime I look at this bun me thinks it looks fake (the one above; not below). I have no perm, no texlaxing or nothing. I have since made a smaller donut though.

I need to remember to take updated pics with the donut bunner I have now.

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

I just pull it back when it's wet and kind of tuck in under as I pull it through the ponytail holder.

This is what I do on wet and dry hair except for the one time I tried the Southerntease bun.

My 'bun' isn't a bun in the sense of a donut or other with the hair tucked aroud it. I prefer a less-structured, more impromptu look (I've never been one for neat, sleek styles - probably because my character is so unorthodox to begin with).

Now, I just put my hair in a ponytail with a scrunchie, double it up, twist the length of the 'tail' and then on the triple-loop, don't pull the hair all the way through.

And like someone else said, I like the southern tease bun on natural hair, done loosely.

I'm JUST able to really do a good bun. As long as my hair is, it has just been tooooo thick to really do it without having a major headache at the end of the day.

I just wanted to say your hair is really beautiful.

prettywhitty

Cowash (more often than not), get my donut and get busy. Learned how to make it from one of our member's tutorial on You Tube. It's made with socks (how ingenious). I love it.

After I get her all bunned up, I use Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair Butter and an old toothbrush and smooth out the front and sides (really I just love the smell of this stuff; it has Ylang-Ylang, sage, patchouli, bay and cedarwood, mmmmmmmm good). It makes my silver hair pop with shine too.

Oh, regarding pins and such; don't use 'em. The tutorial I saw said to take the top of a knee high (I cut the stocking part away) - after I make a ponytail with a knee-hi top I slide the donut on and against my head, spread my hair around the donut, take another knee-hi top and slide it over my hair at base of the donut bun, then I take my loose ends and wrap it around the base of the donut and tuck it under the knee-hi thingy. Voila! No pins, ends protected, moistured and happy all day.

Everytime I look at this bun me thinks it looks fake (the one above; not below). I have no perm, no texlaxing or nothing. I have since made a smaller donut though.

I need to remember to take updated pics with the donut bunner I have now.

I do this as well and it's very comfortable.