From Natural to Self Relaxed LAdies HELP!!

sashaa

Ok here is my story- I was natural for about 2 years. Got tired of it and in November 0f 2008 I decided to relax. I used Silk Elements Lye Mild. It did ok, but I have not relaxed since then, and today I want to! The relaxer took ok- it was much like a tex lax which is what I wanted, however I noticed my ends were not that straight. Still somewhat frizzy, but when I put heat on them they behave somewhat. IF you look at my hair wet, you see new growth, then straight hair till you get to the end then it is kinda curly. I dont think I got my ends straight enough with the relaxer back in November and want to make sure to get them straight today when I relax. Any suggestions on how I should do this? Do I just hit the new growth and then apply to my ends? Or should I pull all the way through again like a virgin? Should I coat my hair with something that will protect what is already relaxed? Im stuck on how to ensure my ends get straight this time without damaging any hair. By the way- I will be using Mizani BB Mild. This will be my second relaxer in since last November and before then it was 2 years or more since relaxing. Any and all help would be appreciated!!! TA

MummysGirl

Don't run it through the whole length of your hair... I honestly don't think you should put relaxer on yourn ends... how much of your ends would you say is still curly?

Maybe while you are rinsing out your relaxer, it'll straighten your ends...

Last edited:

Denise11

Comb the relaxer through during the last 10 minutes of the relaxing. It'll get straight and you won't be overprocessed. If you leave those ends like that, they'll break from the rest of the hair.

lonei

I have my half half self relaxer guide in my fotki. I too have under processed hair from a mishap a few years ago but havent learnt to live with the texture and work with it rather than against it. I rollerset which straightens it quite a lot and then clamp the flat iron on the roots only. I wouldnt suggest applying the relaxer to the rest of the hair either, maybe rollersetting as i do may help.

God bless

MarieB

I think you should apply oil of conditioner to the previously relaxed sections and if you're set on straightening the ends, make sure you wait until the final 5-10 minutes of your processing time. Make sure you do a protein step (Aphogee 2-minute is good) before you neutralize, thoroughly neutralize, and DC right after. I also use Porosity Control for a few minutes after the DC. And I co-sign on the rollersetting...it makes a huge difference. I hardly ever use my flat-iron anymore.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Lye relaxers are sometimes the culprit. I've tried all brands and none of them get my hair strait.:nono: If you are going bone strait, you can try to smooth the relaxer on the ends a little, don't use a comb! Maybe during the rinse out it can make your hair and ends more strait. On second thought...don't listen to me on this. Better off asking an expert.:blush: Are you sure you want to mess with your ends? Can a flat iron make your ends more strait until your next touch up?

sashaa

thanks all. I finished. I relaxed all my hair and then the last 10 minutes slapped some relaxer on my ends and guess what- still curly :ohwell:...I am not going to worry about it, for they are only curly when the hair is wet. So I am not going to worry about them anymore. Thanks for all your input!