Natural Hair Prep for Ponytail/Puff? What Happened?

PaperClip

(Sigh...) Yes, it's been one of those days...yet I'm still blessed!

I attempted to slick my hair back to make a puff (excuse me, put on a ponytail! :D) and it had been a couple of days since I washed my hair. Here's what I did:

1.Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream (I think I used too much. It lathered up A WHOLE LOT!) My hair felt a little weird, which could mean that it was either really clean or maybe stripped 'cause I used too much?

2. Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal/Honey Conditioner (with a dollop :look: of honey). This felt SOOOO GOOOD! I could run my fingers through my hair with such ease! I could see the curls/coils, too!

3. Rinsed with cold water. Wasn't as curly/coily as I've seen it before, but the coily curls were there.

4. Elucence Leave in while still quite wet.

5. Smooth n Shine Curl Activator w/Aloe. Here's where trying to slick down my hair went WRONG!

My hair just got puffy, so then I started doing all kinds of adding all sorts of products, e.g., Fantasia IC gels, combing it, brushing it. I tied it down so it could wave up but when I took the scarf off, it was still wet and the waves just looked puffy. And my hair has some produced some very neat looking waves in the past, so I know it's possible....

So now, I want to try to do this for tomorrow. So what should I do tonight and/or in the morning to get this working? Do I have to start over with shampoo?

I need help....

MissFallon

Since you have a lot of product in your hair already try adding a bit more gel and tying it down and then making complete sure that it is dry when you untie it in the morning. It shouldn't come out puffy.

Syrah

Lesson number 1 - and i say this because I've done this and had to learn...if you're trying to go for the curly girl look, you should NOT be combing or brushing. Combing and brushing separates the natural curls - and cause volume (aka frizz).

I don't know anything about the curl activator gel that you used - so I want attempt to speak on it.

However - when I do my curly pony days, I slick my hair back using Suave Humectant Conditioner (because I know I'm going to wash that evening or the next morning), add a tiny bit of Fantasia IC to the slick back part... to my pony, I will add some leave in and Fantasia IC Gel (be generous but don't goop) and scrunch with my hands.

Done. :)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
RelaxerRehab said:

5. Smooth n Shine Curl Activator w/Aloe. Here's where trying to slick down my hair went WRONG!

Substitute your Fantasia IC at this step and you will be fine. I really think that people with texturized hair do much better with curl activator. I have yet to find a curl activator that doesn't make my hair go all funky when it's applied. It goes on wet and 5 minutes later it's sucked all the moisture out my hair.

Also, I wash my hair, add my leave-ins and tie my hair down at night so when I take the scarf off the next morning, the hair is laying flat and wavy. I just add some product to the puff to 'wake it up'.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have found that putting a scarf around my edges makes the my edges look frizzier instead of smoother. Here's what you should do: After washing and conditioning, apply your products FIRST (smooth with your fingers or gently with a soft brush), apply your headband, and then LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE. Don't touch it or put anything else on it after you have formed your puff. Leaving your hair alone after you have put on the headband is the key to having smoother/less poofier hair.

Hope that helps! ;)

PaperClip

Hi, ladies.... Thank you for your helpful hints....

I followed you all's recommendations. It's still frizzing! :confused: Am I asking too much of my hair? It's more fine than thick, so it would seem that it would lay down easier.... Is it that I need more length?

I'm at a point where I don't know what to do with my hair. I'm trying to dodge a rough patch here, y'all....

Poohbear

RelaxerRehab said:
Hi, ladies.... Thank you for your helpful hints....

I followed you all's recommendations. It's still frizzing! :confused: Am I asking too much of my hair? It's more fine than thick, so it would seem that it would lay down easier.... Is it that I need more length?

I'm at a point where I don't know what to do with my hair. I'm trying to dodge a rough patch here, y'all....
So you're trying to get rid of frizz COMPLETELY? I don't think that's possible and you may be asking for too much of your hair. My hair still frizzes up after styling it. Its just the nature of our hair.

PaperClip

Poohbear said:
So you're trying to get rid of frizz COMPLETELY? I don't think that's possible and you may be asking for too much of your hair. My hair still frizzes up after styling it. Its just the nature of our hair.

Oohhh... maybe you're right, Poohbear.... I'll try to get a picture up so you can see what I'm talking about....

PaperClip

Here are a couple of photos from today.... (I JUST figured out how to do this!) You can click on them to see a closer view.... Thank you for some guidance!

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

so1913

Oh, I'm not sure you are going to be able to get your hair completely flat or to stay flat all day until you have some more length to be able to gather it in a holder in order to secure the hair and hold it flat. If I can be honest, I think you may be asking too much of your hair at this point and time. I'd hold off on attempting this style until you've accumulated more length. Also, you can only combat frizz but so much on natural hair, but that's part of what gives our hair character. At your length I suggest sticking with simpler styles, fros, twist outs, use barrets, headbands and clips to accessorize and to position and style your hair. Let it "flow" and do it's thing. You have to work WITH your hair when it comes to styling or else you will continue to become more and more frustrated and dissapointed with outcomes.

HTH!

PaperClip

so1913 said:
Oh, I'm not sure you are going to be able to get your hair completely flat or to stay flat all day until you have some more length to be able to gather it in a holder in order to secure the hair and hold it flat. If I can be honest, I think you may be asking too much of your hair at this point and time. I'd hold off on attempting this style until you've accumulated more length. Also, you can only combat frizz but so much on natural hair, but that's part of what gives our hair character. At your length I suggest sticking with simpler styles, fros, twist outs, use barrets, headbands and clips to accessorize and to position and style your hair. Let it "flow" and do it's thing. You have to work WITH your hair when it comes to styling or else you will continue to become more and more frustrated and dissapointed with outcomes.

HTH!

Ahhh, so1913, you and your reality checks (humble sigh) .... I'm angry with myself for not being brave enough to just rock my natural hair more freely....I'm just a little frustrated....

I thank all of you on this thread who took the time to read and respond.... I don't want to MISrepresent the beautiful natural haired sisters on the planet who have taken this look and lifestyle to a whole 'nother level!

Cheleigh

RelaxerRehab said:
Ahhh, so1913, you and your reality checks (humble sigh) .... I'm angry with myself for not being brave enough to just rock my natural hair more freely....I'm just a little frustrated....

I thank all of you on this thread who took the time to read and respond.... I don't want to MISrepresent the beautiful natural haired sisters on the planet who have taken this look and lifestyle to a whole 'nother level!

Hey girl. ITA with so1913 on this one. One of the downsides of this curl pattern is that it shrinks like crazy. That phony pony I did last week was the FIRST time that I've tried to slick my hair back since the BC--and I have almost 17 months worth of natural hair. All these natural women on here with big old pony tail poofs? Not my hair. You just can't expect your hair to do what it's not designed to do. There are certain things I realize about my hair, and I just accept them. I know that I will need a LOT of hair before my hair does those big pony poofs. I know that after I detangle, my hair looses much of it's texture definition, so on those days I know I'm wearing a frizzier, kinkier looking puff. After the BC, my hair did not look exactly as I'd expected, but I just let it do it do, and I've been rewarded with healthy, happy, and IMHO opinion, beautiful hair. I think you're being WAY too hard on your hair. Your hair doesn't look one-tenth as bad as you think it does in your own mind's eye. Get your confidence up about your natural texture as it is RIGHT now, and watch how beautiful your hair becomes to you.

Poohbear

RelaxerRehab said:
Here are a couple of photos from today.... (I JUST figured out how to do this!) You can click on them to see a closer view.... Thank you for some guidance!

View attachment 2387

View attachment 2388

View attachment 2389
Oh, now I see what you're talking about. Yeah, you should wait until you get more length before doing a ponypuff or pufftail. That will cause too much stress on your hair. Patiently grow it out and before you know it, you'll be able to sport a puff with your own hair. ;) Happy hair growing!

PaperClip

Cheleigh said:
Hey girl. ITA with so1913 on this one. One of the downsides of this curl pattern is that it shrinks like crazy. That phony pony I did last week was the FIRST time that I've tried to slick my hair back since the BC--and I have almost 17 months worth of natural hair. All these natural women on here with big old pony tail poofs? Not my hair. You just can't expect your hair to do what it's not designed to do. There are certain things I realize about my hair, and I just accept them. I know that I will need a LOT of hair before my hair does those big pony poofs. I know that after I detangle, my hair looses much of it's texture definition, so on those days I know I'm wearing a frizzier, kinkier looking puff. After the BC, my hair did not look exactly as I'd expected, but I just let it do it do, and I've been rewarded with healthy, happy, and IMHO opinion, beautiful hair. I think you're being WAY too hard on your hair. Your hair doesn't look one-tenth as bad as you think it does in your own mind's eye. Get your confidence up about your natural texture as it is RIGHT now, and watch how beautiful your hair becomes to you.

Hey, Cheleigh.... Thank you for your encouraging words.... Gotta work on my confidence...about everything... 'cause I really got it goin' on! :lol:

Thank you much!

PaperClip

Poohbear said:
Oh, now I see what you're talking about. Yeah, you should wait until you get more length before doing a ponypuff or pufftail. That will cause too much stress on your hair. Patiently grow it out and before you know it, you'll be able to sport a puff with your own hair. ;) Happy hair growing!

Ok, Poohbear.... Thank you for reminding me to be patient.... I'm not going to "ask" for patience (Romans 5), I'm going to just chill and trust that it's all working out for my good! :)

hopeful

Don't feel bad either girl. When I bc'd this year there were many times I wanted to cry. I just never posted about it. You are not alone, trying to figure things out. A year from now hopefully we will be like so1913, Poohbear and others and will be able to provide encouragement to newbies. I know I had worn my hair very short many times but short and natural? Never. And it takes some getting used to. Some people can rock the heck out of a twa and keep it that way on purpose because it suits them just fine. For those of us who want length it does take patience. Hang in there, okay?

dimpalz

Oh dear =( I'm dreading this length stage! I personally think it looks fine, but you might find it is a bit stressful on your hair. I rock a TWA and now it's got to that awkward stage where bits of it wanna try and show some length and some coily bits are shrinking up like pincurls it's so annoying! Relaxer rehab, I scoped your pics and you have lovely hair, it does remind me of mine before I relaxed it in the sense that when I'd put heavy products like gel for styling it in, it would shrink up, although it didn't normally. I've seen young girls use that harder gel like lets jam or the smooth and shine conditioning gel to "glue" a big slab of natural hair to their forehead and get it to lie flat, It's all in the technique. If you're not ready to rock it fully free, don't stress your self out, if you just want more length before you do, you don't have to be ashamed. Try a gel with more hold and see how that works out. Also I think the scarf has something to do with it aswell, it looks like you used one without a smooth weave, you might have to go ghetto and a get a durag - they are made for this type of thing.

Good luck xXx

Victorian

old head
I'll echo what others have said about waiting for more length. It really does take a while for the front to get long enough that you can pull it back while still curly and have it reach the ponytail holder. My hair is growing in layers and although the back is past bsl the very front is just to my collarbone when stretched, so I still can't wear a decent low puff without using clips to hold the front. So I always wear my puffs up higher. When I first bc'd I couldn't even make a full puff so I just rocked the scarf/headband at the front and left the back loose. More styling options will come with time--until then, just do whatever looks cute for now :yep:

But for future reference ;):

I also have very fine, super coily 4a hair, and for me less product is better. I don't generally use gels or creams to pull my hair back because they just build up at the drop of a hat, and for me that = knots. My one exception thus far is Jason Shaman Smoothing Fixative, but they discontinued that (of course :rolleyes:) so I'm guarding my bottle with my life and only use it every blue moon. Otherwise, it's shampoo, conditioner, oil, and a boar bristle brush. As others have mentioned, do everything on wet hair and then leave it alone to dry. I've had good results with tying the front with a finely woven polyester scarf.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I slick back my hair w/ s-curl and wgo. Brush it back w/ a regular brush and use a toothbrush to detail the edges. In the morning it is flat and I just add a little gel for hold. I've also been having good success with the Curls Moisturizer (in the spray bottle). I was surprised when I woke up with silky, shiny waves.