Is it just me or is it hard to remove waves/curls

Brownie

Sometimes I want a change, so I try to comb my hair out. I try to comb out the waves and curls (without using heat). When I comb it out, it looks like I blow dried my hair. I did this one night, tied my hair down for the night, but in the AM, my hair still looked wavy at the top. If I want to wear an Afro puff, I have to comb the curls out, or my hair will not have volume. Now, even after my hair is combed out, the ends (only the ends) start curling up again, which could lead to knots when I comb my hair out again. My hair generally will not puff up or lie flat without curls/waves. Every once in a while, I want my hair to look puffy or flat without waves/curls. BTW, I have tried to straighten a couple of my strands with a plug up straightening comb and the curls elongate and become a looser curl, but they did not straighten. Without a great deal of manipulation, my hair didn't straighten easily when texturized either; however, when I was a natural prior, I got my hair straightened all the time with a straightening comb with good results.

I don't want to change my hair. I just wanted to vent because sometimes I'd like to pull my hair back and not have waves/curls---Is anyone else having a hard time removing curls/waves when trying to wear a somewhat straight or AFRO style?

Softresses

Mine won't straighten with relaxer anywhere but the very top and bangs, and even though it is thick, it is fine and never would stand up in a decent afro. I decided a while back to only texturize it since the relaxer I was using is very strong and it still would not straighten the back.

All that would happen is that the front, and some of the top would straighten but the back would stay curly. And of course I would get damage. So I stopped blowdrying and flatironing except once or twice a year (which would get it straight), now I am going to try and not even do that anymore, it is too much work.

ETA; I always thought the Thelma from GOODTIMES puff was so feminine and sexy, I wanted one!

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Softresses said:
Mine won't straighten with relaxer anywhere but the very top and bangs, and even though it is thick, it is fine and never would stand up in a decent afro. I decided a while back to only texturize it since the relaxer I was using is very strong and it still would not straighten the back.

All that would happen is that the front, and some of the top would straighten but the back would stay curly. And of course I would get damage. So I stopped blowdrying and flatironing except once or twice a year (which would get it straight), now I am going to try and not even do that anymore, it is too much work.

This is what is going on with me. When I relaxed only the top part of my hair got strait and not the rest. Can u please tell me what flat iron you own? I cannot get my hair strait at all. When I BC later, I will be lightly texturizing my hair to lessen my shrinkage.

Softresses

Hi DD, I have a ceramic flatiron by HairArt and a Gold n Hot type flat iron form Softsheen.

I like the ceramic one best because it gets really hot, and does not snag my hair.