Natural Hair Ladies: A Flex Rod Tutorial

mscocoface

She starts with trimming this ladies hair, I could barely handle looking at it because she used a small tooth comb. Made my head hurt. (I am a bonafide member of the tenderheaded club :ohwell:)

But if you can get through that she does a wonderful job of a flex rod hair tutorial with the end result style she claims lasts 2-4 weeks.

I think the key to this is the flex rods and some type of setting solution either a gel or liquid. I imagine you can get this look even a little fuller with larger rods.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bT9QPE9na4c&feature=related

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

Okay I was cringing when the stylist was doing the comb out. She made the rod set look so easy. Do you think it's the setting lotion that makes it last like she claims? It was really pretty. I was in the BSS tonight & I was eyeballing those flexi rods - maybe I'll get some - only bigger. That would be a cute Christmas Day style.:yep:

lildhe

I want to come out my braids and do something low-maint. I was thinking about this . I will try with bigger rods also:yep: !

AfroKink

ah ha! that's how it's suppose to be done.
thanks for this! I will be trying it in the coming weeks.

Lys

cocopuff

Thanks. I just bought a few packs of Flexi-Rods last week and I have the same Essential Blends Hair Balm that they used in the tutorial, I'm gonna try this look for a Christmas party I'm going to.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I am going to attempt this this weekend but there ain't no way in heck i'm gonna do all them small curls. Her hair turned out beautifully though but she must have had a million of them rods on her head to get that look.

mscocoface

Alright, now you ladies trying this know you are going to have to post pics.

So don't be stingy and keep the results to yourself!:look:

POST PICS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LynnieB

I am going to attempt this this weekend but there ain't no way in heck i'm gonna do all them small curls. Her hair turned out beautifully though but she must have had a million of them rods on her head to get that look.

that's what i was thinking too - good lawd! But it sure looked gorgeous.

i noticed the stylist separated each one and did a twirly thing with the loosened sections.....really made that curly fro go POW!

thanks mscoco for posting!

DeepBluSea

Thanks for posting mscocoface. I am really interested in trying something like this.

I cringe at putting all those little rods in, but do you think using the smaller rods was the secret to a good looking set?

aja1121

I rod all the time using larger (orange) perm rods...this is a pic before I separated the curls

Picture 004.jpg

clever

here's mine:

I'm not sure why the pic uploaded like that so bear with me

Last edited:

Nola Darling

This is not the conventional flex rod set! LOL!

*Note, my hair is pressed* What I did was put some Neutrogena Moisturising Foam on my ends and I set it with the orange rods. I only left them in for an hour, enough for the foam to dry. And here is the end result.

I plan on doing this style for night life with a flirty short dress for a clubby, big hair, bedhead look. Woot woot!

Next time I'll set my natural hair wet and report back to you guys.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 63
  • hair3.jpg
    hair3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: