Natural Hair, Keeping twist neat and more....

JJamiah

I just gave my oldest son the Royal Treatment :grin:. I gave him an Amla Oil treatment, and a deep moisturizing treatment. I twist his hair every 2 weeks and wow, it came out really nice. Usually he just washes it and doesn't condition it. This time mom did it. Question for the Natural hair ladies. How do you keep your twist single or double neat for over 1 week he does wear a silk scarf & spandex cap, his look a HOT mess after one week. everyone elses hair I've done last about 3.5 weeks. Makes me upset because they pay and take care of it, he doesn't (not that I want him too at 9.5 years old) just I feel like he feels, hey if it gets messed up, my mom will fix it. Plus, I feel like I'd like to give him a Amla oil treatment every month atleast, and Deep Condition every time. Do YOU think that is too YOU KNOW FEMME!!!!!? Please let me know what you think, thanks.....

harrison

hmmm...

Is this just a style choice or is this a step toward locs or something?

How does he feel about the extra treatment? Does it make him feel awkward?

just curious..

JustKiya

I don't think taking proper care of your hair is a feminine thing, at all. I wish more men would take better care of their hair, feet, nails, etc, etc. without worrying about whether it's too feminine. Ain't nothing wrong with taking care of yourself - no matter what gender you are.

With that said, my twists only last for a week, and by Thursday, I'm giving my own head the sideeye and sighing over the fuzz and 'halo' I've got going on. I think it's just a matter of my hair, really - it wiggles out of stuff. Your son just might have 'wiggly' hair, or you might not be using the right product to keep his hair 'neat' for more than a week.

discodumpling

He's a 9 yr old...besides tying his hands AND BODY tightly I don't think you will be able to keep his twists frizz free. HE IS A BOY! Cornrows will keep neatly much longer but again it depends on how active your boy is, texture et al..
5 seconds after I brush my 5 yr olds hair he is rollin' on the floor getting his John Cena on!

JJamiah

He's a 9 yr old...besides tying his hands AND BODY tightly I don't think you will be able to keep his twists frizz free. HE IS A BOY! Cornrows will keep neatly much longer but again it depends on how active your boy is, texture et al..
5 seconds after I brush my 5 yr olds hair he is rollin' on the floor getting his John Cena on!

YOU SOUND Like my husband, He says my son is always on the floor getting his John Cena on. I am trying to find someone to cornrow his hair because I too think those would last longer. I told him it should be long enough by June to corn row, it is about 1/5 to 2 inches long right now. His hair is 3c at the top and crown and 4a around the rest of the head.

JJamiah

I don't think taking proper care of your hair is a feminine thing, at all. I wish more men would take better care of their hair, feet, nails, etc, etc. without worrying about whether it's too feminine. Ain't nothing wrong with taking care of yourself - no matter what gender you are.

With that said, my twists only last for a week, and by Thursday, I'm giving my own head the sideeye and sighing over the fuzz and 'halo' I've got going on. I think it's just a matter of my hair, really - it wiggles out of stuff. Your son just might have 'wiggly' hair, or you might not be using the right product to keep his hair 'neat' for more than a week.

Good I am glad, I was like my goodness your hair feels like I can wash pots and pans, I wanted to treat his hair. I think I am going to give him a Amla treatment and Deep condition at least once a month. Wow, see I have clients who keep it for 2-3 weeks at a time. Oh, well, I am going to be looking for someone to Cornrow his hair for the summer, hopefully those are easier to keep. Want to send them to camp, he asked mom, what about my hair, am I wearing it out or twisted. I might just wash it, send him to the barber to neat it up but not take off any length. So He can wash it from going in the pool.

JJamiah

hmmm...

Is this just a style choice or is this a step toward locs or something?

How does he feel about the extra treatment? Does it make him feel awkward?

just curious..

No, he isn't getting locs, he wanted twist from seeing pics of his dad with them, he said he wanted it, I warned him kids might bother him but he insisted. But he has worn them for about 2 months now. I just never had to do any of my clients hair before 2 weeks. So I was clueless, I see some of the teens with it, no kids his age as of yet.

Attachments

• 100_2287.jpg
    100_2287.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_2285.jpg
    100_2285.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17

discodumpling

Ok I see what you mean! I used to do the same with my eldest sons hair when he grew is out. No worries as soon as you can "catch" it (grab a handfull) you'll be able to braid. He's almost there!

I also wanna say kudos to you for raising a boy with an independent spirit!