Can you do neat neat twists?

Chimma

If you've ever been complimented for having twists that are even and neat, I ask you to share your technique! Doesn't matter the hair texture or relaxed/natural. I want to twist my hair for the first time (this summer will have a lot of natural firsts for me), and I'd like to know how. Thanks!

pressncurl

I start at the back of my head and part straight across twisting each row (5-6 twists) before moving to the next section. I usually start with damp hair, after a wash, but they actually look better if I when I retwist them from the dry state (usually after about a week).

NaturalRox

Hi Chimma, my hair is natural and I've been trying to incorporate twists (two-strand) as a protective style for the summer. So far I've had pretty good success with them (even though it takes me hours to do and my hair is only 3-5" stretched). Anyway, I twist on wet hair only and I use ORS Olive Oil Lotion and Elasta QP Mango Butter with my twists. I sometimes part my hair when twisting, but it takes a lot less time when I "grab and twist" instead - and it comes out looking neat too. My twists hang just fine and I don't have to secure the ends. To keep them fresh and bouncy, I rinse them everyday until I take them down. I just added photos to my album from twists that I did yesterday - hope that helps!

I'm with NaturalRox- wet twisting typically gives me the "neatest" results. Dry twisting gives volume and length. Rox- your twists are so plump and shiny! Also, that pink/white halter dress is too cute!

The hair does not need to be soaking wet, just pretty damp. I also think the grab and twist method works well. You do not necessarily need to detangle the entire head before starting the twists- I comb through each little section as I go along (this saves MUCH time and hair). But I do part the hair into four or six large sections, and braid the sections that are not being twisted to keep them moist and out of my way.

I also think that using minimal product wil keep the twists looking neat- just some shea butter on the ends when you are finished with all of them.

Good luck:)

NaturalRox

Thanks OshunCurls!
That outfit you mentioned is actually just a halter top, there are jeans below, but the camera cut it off! lol

Anyhow back to the topic!! I agree with you on using less products so your hair isn't weighed down.

Let us know how your twists turn out!