Natural curly hair crisis...I need help!!!

ycj

I think by now most of you know I did a bc in Nov 08, and am planning on staying natural. My dilema is I've tried the purple IC gel, s-curl activator and even the H. Silky 14 n 1. and all but the IC has my hair feeling too gumy. The IC from some ladies on ytube suggested the IC instead of spending my money on Miss Jessies curling pudding, which the IC by the way went in and on nicely and my natural curls popped, but once dried my hair was hard as a rock.:wallbash:

Does anyone have any suggestions what's a good product to use?

I have 3b,3c,4a hair type. Which I think I finally figured out.

My hair has been freshly washed/dc/and used the H Silky 14 in 1 and my hair is air dried. If I have the wrong hair type mentioned, please feel free to correct me.

Attachments

• Jan 31 Hair update 010.jpg
    Jan 31 Hair update 010.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Jan 31 Hair update 012.jpg
    Jan 31 Hair update 012.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Jan 31 Hair update 013.jpg
    Jan 31 Hair update 013.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Casarela

I hate gels that makes my hair hard as a rock , I think u should try the blue one called sparklites and if you want a lighter hold try the clear ic gel (aloe vera one). Each IC yields different results.

For instance my mom bought the green one gave it to me and did not like it t all. Ive used the clear one for years and it never failed me and felt like trying something new out of curiosity and tried the blue one and loveeeeeed it.

msa

Do you moisturize before you put the gel on? That may be one of the reasons why your hair is turning out hard.

And how moisturized is your hair in general? I think natural hair that is super moisturized has a lot more definition without using a lot of products.

ycj

Do you moisturize before you put the gel on? That may be one of the reasons why your hair is turning out hard.

And how moisturized is your hair in general? I think natural hair that is super moisturized has a lot more definition without using a lot of products.

Yes I do mositurize using a conditioner with moiturizers in them always.

PinkSkates

Exactly! You will be better off using natural oils or butters! You don't need all those gel products. Most of them are loaded with cheap filler products that do nothing but dry your hair out.

Carrie A

I really would put too much of anything in it. Just spray with water and rub it lightly with coconut oil. It's still pretty short so that should be fine.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
As a suggestion, try to use aloe vera gel mixed with IC gel. It is supposed to reduce the crunch.:rolleyes: The best curl def gel for me is Kinky Curl custard with Knot Today. It is really expensive, so I'm only using it on special occasions. The clear IC gel is 2nd best.:ohwell: I'm going to try the IC gel/ aloe vera gel mix tomorrow. The plain aloe vera gel works great for some folks. I'm planning on getting an aloe plant in the spring so I can use the real deal. I'm sure it's better than the store made stuff.:lachen:

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I have problems with dry hair too. My 4A hair laughs at any type gel. My hair is cottony and non porous, meaning that product will sit on top of it and it will not be absorbed. The only product that has worked for my hair type is Shine- curl activator with aloe vera gel. It is cheap and keeps my hair soft and keep the "wet" look all day. I purchased mine at the dollar store and rack up on them. I don't wear my coils a lot but when I do, it works like a charm.hth.

Bunny77

This is key here.

I always apply a creamy leave-in conditioner (Giovanni Direct Leave-In is my favorite) before I use any styling product. I don't really have a problem with gels, but I like creamy stylers better.

But no matter what, I NEED my leave-in, otherwise forget it!

MCMLXXII

Try aloe vera gel. I use it on my "4B" hair and love it. You should also try pure shea butter...complete nirvana. :lick: