Nail Your Regimen Support Thread 2011

CurlsBazillion

Still sticking to the plan and keeping it simple. Only thing I've done different is I'm trying to DC longer. Its going well because I've retained a little over an inch in 2months! If it ain't broke don't fix it...

faithVA

I don't have much to add. I took a detour from my regi. I have been skipping the shampoo and conditioner while trying out clay. It's a 3 week process so won't get back to my regimen until the end of July. But I am happy with the regimen I have worked out so far and will be going back to that.

I think I found a new natural hair stylist. So after consulting with her I may add a new moisturizer and styling product to my regimen. But I don't really have staples for those so it will be right on time.

I have been using flat twists to keep my hands out of my hair. That's working well. And starting July I will be alternating with kinky twists 4 weeks, twisted style 2 week and sticking with my staple products.

I think APL and healthy hair are within my reach.

faithVA

Only thing I've done different is I'm trying to DC longer. Its going well because I've retained a little over an inch in 2months! If it ain't broke don't fix it...

I agree if its working don't mess with it.

I want to try DCing overnight sometime in June. I hear such good things and want to see if it works for me.

Imani

My regimen is about the same. I have been having some shedding, breakage, and splits. I ordered this Aubrey's Blue Algae Protein treatment. I plan to add more protein to my regimen but keep everything else the same. I haven't seen too many more splits after several search and destroys but I'm still nervous about them.

I still want to master a fly flat iron job by thanksgiving. I will practice on a section of my hair again next week.

I plan on going back to my old vitamin regimen, maybe that will help w/shedding. Natures Plus multi, biotin and folic acid.

I go the salon again for a flat iron and trim in September, at that point I will reassess my regimen. If I stay on track I should be really close to APL by then.

thebelleofelle

still trying to nail down my reggie...I'm thinking about going back to what I thought worked while growing up (Motions) *Shrug* idk yet.

Saw some good come out of Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer and Hawaiiwan 14-1 definitely might keep those in the game...

But, I've had some shedding, it may be time for a protein treatment but is the Aphogee 2 step a strong one or should I go for the Spray?? I still see some hairs after using the 2 step. Definitely need some insight on this

Well, that's just an update.

CurlsBazillion

I agree if its working don't mess with it.

I want to try DCing overnight sometime in June. I hear such good things and want to see if it works for me.

faithVA Overnight DCs are wonderful! I tried that once with Creme of Nature Argan DC and before that w/ ORS RC. I always put an oil(olive or grapeseed) on top of the conditioner instead of mixing it in and the out come is better, imo. Its very much worth a try the only thing I will probably do is a midweek light protein just to keep a balance. My hair felt like silk but it had strength too, barely any breakage (so far).

Lita

Hey Ladies,

It's been very quiet in here. Anyone have any updates for us. We are half way through the year. How are your regimens coming along? Any new discoveries? How about a mid year progress report?

JaszG, NikkiQ, growinghealthyhair, Napp, Hikmah1986, ceecy29
Vashti, Imani, alive, prettyfanceANB, DayDreamist, Lita
chrisanddonniesmommy, Hairlosophy, maxJones, mamafree, Poohbear
cia_garces, bernag06, @blcbuty@, rwayda, Anonymous53
FoxxyLocs

faithVA Things are going well thanks...My hair is doing fine..For the summer I will be using JBB Hibiscus Dc & Design Essentials Moisturizing Dc & Stimulating Dc,Enso Blue Malva Wildflower & Honey anti-breakage lotion,Sweet Honey Hibiscus leave-in,Aloe & Marshmallow Moisturizing Milk,BF Castor leave-in,Njoi Creations Coconut Cream & KBB Milk as a rinse...

*My hair & scalp really likes the anti breakage lotion underneath my leave-in..This is my summer combo.....

Happy Hair Growing!

faithVA

Seems like Aphogee has a lot of products. I'm not a protein expert but the Aphogee 2 step is a hard protein. If you aren't sure you can try the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. There are people that use the 2 minute weekly with no problems. If you do the Aphogee 2 step you really have to do a good DC after. There is another hard protein people like more than the Aphogee 2 step but I can't remember the name right off hand. But there has been a thread on it this week.

FoxxyLocs

Hey Ladies,

It's been very quiet in here. Anyone have any updates for us. We are half way through the year. How are your regimens coming along? Any new discoveries? How about a mid year progress report?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=174670

My regimen is going well. I'm having good results with stretching my shampoos and co-washing in between. I really liked the results from my overnight DC so I think I'll do that more often.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to rollerset my hair. The first time didn't go well, but I'm trying it again today. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time. If it turns out ok, I'll post some pics.

faithVA

Great to hear such positive updates. Even though most of us are still working on a few things, it sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Thanks for the updates ladies. Keep up the good work and happy hair growing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey Ladies,

No real updates. Still sticking to my same routine of wearing two-strand twists. I did wear a twistout a few times. However, I did discover something different. I would usually blowdry my hair after washing and conditioning. Now, I can get away with not blowdrying. After washing and conditioning my hair, I put my hair into 6-8 flat twists, wrap a Turbie Twist towel around my head for an hour to dry my hair, then unravel the flat twists and style my hair into smaller twists. That way, my twists won't be so shrunken up.

Amante

JOINING!

Natural
Current Length: Almost APL
Current Regimen:
Prepoo
Poo
Oil Rinse (Added)
Condition
Apply moisturizer, seal, twist and air dry
Style: bun, pinned jumbo twists or french rolls.
Periodically moisturize with h2o

Current Staples:
Prepoo: Coconut Oil
Shampoo: Devacare No Poo Shampoo
Conditioners: Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
Deep Conditioners (Searching)
Moisturizers: Water, AO B5, Organic Nilotica Shea Butter
Oils: Coconut Oil, Rose Hip Oil
Styling Products
KCCC, AO B5, TIGI Wax Stick

In Question
Transition to 100% Organic Regimen?

History (optional) – I've tried it all, hoping to become a minimalist and organic product user.

faithVA

JOINING!

In Question
Transition to 100% Organic Regimen?

History (optional) – I've tried it all, hoping to become a minimalist and organic product user.

:Welcome2:

Welcome Amante... You look like you are well on your way to a minimal regimen. And there are a lot of natural and organic products out there. I am sure you will find what you are looking for fairly easy.

Look forward to learning from you and following your progress.

greenbees

faithVA, I've been trying to stick to wetting my ends and castor oil. I recently got a trim, so that helped out with my ends. I'm sticking to protective styles (wigs mostly, but I've been wearing my hair in a bun this whole week).

faithVA

@faithVA, I've been trying to stick to wetting my ends and castor oil. I recently got a trim, so that helped out with my ends. I'm sticking to protective styles (wigs mostly, but I've been wearing my hair in a bun this whole week).

Thanks for the udpate. Yes protect those ends. BSL is in your grasp.

30something

I been pretty much keeping up with my old regimen besides the fact I had to clarify. I think I will have to add co washing in my regimen for the recovery week(s) that I'm not using heat.. but then ill need to add in a new co wash conditioner because I can't use up my DC as a co washer. I have to order my DC online and it is only 10 oz as it is.

alive

my regimen for the next few weeks will be a little different because i had to chop off about 2 inches after a little split end incident from getting braids. the cut was a bit of a bummer, but i think i have most of the damaged ends off. I plan to do another trim in a week or so to be sure and then it's back to my normal go with the flow "reggie" :yep:

faithVA

i had to chop off about 2 inches after a little split end incident from getting braids.

alive, How long did you have the braids in for? Do you know why the braids gave you issues with your ends?

I am installing Kinky twists at the end of the month and I will keep them in for 4 weeks. I will be monitoring the ends to see if this is a good protective style for me or not. Last year I had an issue with them but I didn't have any type of regimen in place to maintain my hair while in twists. This year I have a better plan.

Just wondering if you had any suggestions or lessons learned.

faithVA

Still working on my regimen and getting closer. I have been off my regimen a bit because I have been doing some things to doctor my hair and get it into better shape. I was still able to learn more about my hair and to understand product compatibility a lot better.

Previously I was on the fence about leave-ins, moisturizers and sealing. I have determined that using a modified Kimmay Tube leave-in seems to work well for me. I have decided on the base product as of yet. Most anything seems to work for my hair at the moment. I also determined I needed less oils. So I am using 1 tsp of sunflower oil and 1 tsp of a heavier oil (castor oil or avocado). Andy more than that makes my hair greasy.

After the leave-in, applying a heavy cream works well. So since I have Shea Moisture Smoothie I am working with that. Later I may look for a creamy product that also has so hold. Would be nice to use this product for moisture and hold for a nice braid out or twist out. We will see.

If I plan on wearing an out style I follow the creme with a gel. I still have a few gels in my arsenal that I will use up: Murrays Loc and Lock and Eco Styler Olive oil. These both have PVPs which are used to hold but also block moisture. I will be moving away from products with PVP. I also have Joie Naturals gel and Garnier Fructis free gel which have natural ingredients. I will use these two when my hair is longer and I am wearing 2 strand twists more.

Sealing; I only do my ends with a light oil for right now. Sealing my hair appears to do nothing but make my hair greasy. And still working with the daily moisturizing.

I will be moving to a kinky twists install at the end of the week. This will require a modified regimen but with all the work I have been doing with this regimen I feel I know what to do to modify it to keep my hair in good shape for 4 weeks.

My regimen development is still in progress but I feel with what I have in place right now I can reach APL with healthier hair. Now I am narrowing down products. I definitely think in the next 6 months I will have regimens to cover the every day hair and the special styles (rollersets, braids, etc).

Hope everyone is making good progress.

Vashti

I am soooo sorry! I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to post on the threads but I have my regimen down at this point. The only change is that I don't have to moisturize every day in the summer weather. Just every other day. My hair seemed to stall with growth for about a month or two but now it's growing like weeds. I've mostly been putting it up in pinned up styles and every now and then I might wear an afro puff. Giving myself a rest with the twists for now.

SavannahNatural

:nono:I haven't touched a regimen!!

I got my hair braided and before then didn't focus enough on how the products felt, etc. As soon as I take these braids out in another month then I'll be back. Until then good luck everyone. "Continue to learn your hair with your hands!!" ~ Chicoro

HHG

faithVA

I am soooo sorry! I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to post on the threads but I have my regimen down at this point. The only change is that I don't have to moisturize every day in the summer weather. Just every other day. My hair seemed to stall with growth for about a month or two but now it's growing like weeds. I've mostly been putting it up in pinned up styles and every now and then I might wear an afro puff. Giving myself a rest with the twists for now.

Vashti,

Thanks for the update Vashti. Glad you have nailed your regimen. I will add you to the graduate list. :congrats:

Will you share your final regimen with us. It may be of help to those still working on theirs. tia

faithVA

:nono:I haven't touched a regimen!!

I got my hair braided and before then didn't focus enough on how the products felt, etc. As soon as I take these braids out in another month then I'll be back. Until then good luck everyone. "Continue to learn your hair with your hands!!" ~ Chicoro

HHG

@blcbuty@, Well make sure you still follow a regimen while in braids. We want that hair to come out lovely after all of that hiding. :yep:

faithVA

NikkiQ

I tried this today and OMG! It's a new staple. It made detangling my fro SO much easier and left my hair feeling so soft!!

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Triple-Moisture-Hydration-Leave/dp/accessories/B00027CDXS[/QUOTE]

@NikkiQ, What are your staples now? Just curious.

Deep Condish- SE Mega Moisture Treatment
Spray Moisturizer- African Royale BRX Braid Spray and Hot 6 Oil
Clarifying Shampoo- Aussie Cleanse and Mend Shampoo
Condish for cowashing- too many to pick just one as a staple

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
faithVA - Last week, I straightened my hair with heat.

Before straightening my hair, I wore my hair in twists for 3 months. I wore a twistout a few times. Before straightening my hair last Friday, I discovered single strand knots and splits on some of my ends. My last trim was at the end of March. My hair did grow/retain length since that trim.

I've now come to the conclusion that wearing my hair in it's natural state is what's causing these knots and splits. Not using the blowdryer and flat iron. I now feel like keeping my ends straight will prevent my ends from knotting and splitting. I just keep thinking back to when I had relaxed hair. I never ever had knots and splits with relaxed hair. So I know these knots and splits form because of letting my ends tightly coil around each other.

So I'm thinking about re-doing my regime to a heat straightening regimen. I'm going to try to heat train my hair, but for some reason, my hair will not heat train (change texture) like I've seen in other ladies like brittanynic.

And no, I never want to go back to relaxers. I don't think they damage hair necessarily... I just did not like the burn or smell from them.

growinghealthyhair

Well I'm having wonderful progress!! I'm sticking to my vitamins and it's paying off!!! My regimen is still very simple. I shampoo every 2 weeks (or as needed) and co-wash atleast 1x per week (ONLY my leave-out since I have extensions).

Some results via the nioxin!

faithVA

@faithVA - Last week, I straightened my hair with heat.

Before straightening my hair, I wore my hair in twists for 3 months. I wore a twistout a few times. Before straightening my hair last Friday, I discovered single strand knots and splits on some of my ends. My last trim was at the end of March. My hair did grow/retain length since that trim.

I've now come to the conclusion that wearing my hair in it's natural state is what's causing these knots and splits. Not using the blowdryer and flat iron. I now feel like keeping my ends straight will prevent my ends from knotting and splitting. I just keep thinking back to when I had relaxed hair. I never ever had knots and splits with relaxed hair. So I know these knots and splits form because of letting my ends tightly coil around each other.

So I'm thinking about re-doing my regime to a heat straightening regimen. I'm going to try to heat train my hair, but for some reason, my hair will not heat train (change texture) like I've seen in other ladies like brittanynic.

And no, I never want to go back to relaxers. I don't think they damage hair necessarily... I just did not like the burn or smell from them.

Thanks for the update Poohbear,

I didn't have SSKs or many splits when I was relaxed either. But I also didn't have SSKs when I was natural as a child, nor did my mother who has been natural more than she has been relaxed. So we are trying to figure out what is different about being natural know vs being natural then. I had never heard of a SSK until last year. Putting on my Columbo gear and figuring out this mystery :lol:

faithVA

Well I'm having wonderful progress!! I'm sticking to my vitamins and it's paying off!!! My regimen is still very simple. I shampoo every 2 weeks (or as needed) and co-wash atleast 1x per week (ONLY my leave-out since I have extensions).

Some results via the nioxin!

http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/35881658

I am loving your results. I am so happy for you. It is filling in so nicely. Please keep us posted on that progress. I know a lot of women on the board would be encouraged by it.