My theory about hair growth...

Victorian

old head
Bublnbrnsuga said:
I don't believe there's ANY product out there that increases growth- they only enhance (or maintain) what you already have growing out of your scalp. Any thoughts?

Bublnbrnsuga said:
While the mechanism of action is unknown concerning the topical applications of rogaine (minoxidil), internally it is a vasodilator that can lower resistant types of blood pressure. Vasodilation= increased circulation= more nutrients flowing throughout the body. I believe this may be the case with topical minoxidil- increased circulation to the scalp, similar to regular scalp massages.

I'm confused. If you know that something applied topically can increase circulation to the scalp (consider also cayenne and certain essential oils), how can you say no product can increase growth? If it works by increasing circulation does it somehow not count just because the same can be accomplished with a scalp massage? Why does it matter which method is used?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

BlackCardinal said:
I'm confused. If you know that something applied topically can increase circulation to the scalp (consider also cayenne and certain essential oils), how can you say no product can increase growth? If it works by increasing circulation does it somehow not count just because the same can be accomplished with a scalp massage? Why does it matter which method is used?

The PRODUCT itself isn't increasing hair growth, ie, pushing new hair out of the follicle. What's increasing hair growth? Increased blood flow=nutrients= possibly increased growth via the aid (assistance) of the cayenne pepper, scalp massages or other circulating increasing agents. Another way to say it is that it enhances what's already there. Is that clear?
It doesn't matter to me which method anyone uses on their head, I just simply stated my opinion/theory about hair growth. Do you, I'll do me. :)
There are far too many products promoting hair growth out there and we are yet still searching for that miracle grower (hey- maybe I should try to patent Miracle Gro gardening products for hair growth!) and while the ingredients may be beneficial, hair growth is internal and genetic and products should be used to help maintain what's growing.

What a touchy subject!!:lol:

Plenty

Crissi said:
Well I've noticed that when I take vitamins and eat eggs, I get atleast an inch of hair growth, rather than the 0.5 or sometimes 0.25 that I get when I'm not doing those things.
Same here. For me it wasn't about having my hair grow faster, it was trying to reach my full growth potential. I now get .5 instead of .25. I got .25 for years.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
If there were a product out there that actually increased growth, why doesn't everyone have long thick hair?
And if people's hair actually grows 1 inch a month, that is 12 inches in a year. I doubt it, although I won't say it doesn't ever happen.
I'm a skeptic by nature!:lol:

SohoHair

FlowerHair said:
If there were a product out there that actually increased growth, why doesn't everyone have long thick hair?

To me this argument is like saying "If diet and excercise really work, why isn't everyone fit and skinny?" or "If skin products really work, why doesn't' everyone have perfect skin?" I think there are things out there that work, but not for everyone. Some people get no benefits from adding vitamins to their hair regime, others get a ton. Not everything is for everybody. All of us acknowledge that with hair products, why would it be any different for topical growth aids? Also just because you are getting an inch a month does not mean that you are retaining that inch per month, particularly if you are heat/style/manipulation-happy. So someone can easily be getting an inch of growth a month but at the end of the year only end up with 7 or 8 inches of growth total, those little broken hairs all over the bathroom floor everyday add up over the course of 365 days. I think it's definitely a case of to each her own, but I for one have seen too many growth aids with proven results for my own eyes to dismiss them across the board.

HoneyDew

Honi said:
If it's in the growing phase then I can see perhaps a boost in the amount of growth seen.

I agree. I have personally gotten increased growth from topical aids, but i have often wondered if they do the same for hair that is not in the growth phase.

I have heard that some products can prolong the growth phase. That may be why some people get lots of shedding after they stop using MTG.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
SohoHair said:
To me this argument is like saying "If diet and excercise really work, why isn't everyone fit and skinny?" or "If skin products really work, why doesn't' everyone have perfect skin?" I think there are things out there that work, but not for everyone. Some people get no benefits from adding vitamins to their hair regime, others get a ton. Not everything is for everybody. All of us acknowledge that with hair products, why would it be any different for topical growth aids? Also just because you are getting an inch a month does not mean that you are retaining that inch per month, particularly if you are heat/style/manipulation-happy. So someone can easily be getting an inch of growth a month but at the end of the year only end up with 7 or 8 inches of growth total, those little broken hairs all over the bathroom floor everyday add up over the course of 365 days. I think it's definitely a case of to each her own, but I for one have seen too many growth aids with proven results for my own eyes to dismiss them across the board.
If this is the case, then that person is wasting their hard earned money. :ohwell:

Keen

SohoHair said:

I couldn't have said it better myself. People knows that eating right and excersize work but they are not willing to put in the time. Many people claim that no products work but I think they are just not willing to put in the daily work necessary. You use the product for 2 weeks then stop and claim it doesn't work. I'm not saying all products work. I'm saying that some do work.

I never got any growth from MTG. But I can't claim that MTG don't work. I used it for only 2 or 3 weeks. I could not put up with the smell any longer, so I stopped.

Another good point you mention is that if you are getting growth but not retaining it, that doesn't mean your hair don't grow.

Mariaat40

I don't believe that there are any "miracle" products that increase the growth rate. But I do believe that there are things we can do to optimize our growth/retention rate - lots of protein, scalp massages, vitamins, etc. It's all about being at our best in terms of our health - so our hair benefits. We get the maximum growth rate that we, as individuals, can get. And that growth rate is different for everyone.

CurliDiva

I used to IGNORE my hair - meaning no regular styling, no regular shampooing, no conditioning, no deep conditioners, no /leave-ins at all!

LHCF has helped me to learn about the difference between "grease" and moisturizers, the importance of a healthy scalp, protected ends and a nourished body to healthier and longer hair.

So everything I do (protective styles, condition washes, scalp massages and exercise )and ALL of my products (Vitamins, daily leave-ins, heated deep conditioners) contribute to longer hair

Last edited:

HoneyDew

CurliDiva said:
I used to IGNORE my hair - meaning no regular styling, no regular shampooing, no conditioning, no deep conditioners, no /leave-ins at all!

LHCF has helped me to learn about the difference between "grease" and moisturizers, the importance of a healthy scalp, protected ends and a nourished body to healthier and longer hair.

So everything I do (protective styles, condition washes, scalp massages and exercise )and ALL of my products (Vitamins, daily leave-ins, heated deep conditioners) contribute to longer hair

Same here. I used to wear braids all the time. You would think i would have been able to retain lots of length. I am kicking myself because I wish that I had known then what I know now.

But, you are right all the things I do now contribute to a healthy scalp and to the retention of length. (except last's month's affair with a blowdryer. :cry2: :crying3:)

Ntrlmystik

This is quite interesting. There is validity to both sides of the arguement. What is a mircale to some may not be another. I don't think its growing your hair fast but to grow your hair to its fullest potential. I come from a diverse family w/ different backgrounds and some will look at me and say "your hair grows fast " while other think that my hair is taking long to grow. So its all relative to that individual. So if you want to try a million products to grow your hair, if its that important to you then you should to find out what works for YOU while excercising some precaution with what can be bad for your health.

In addition, I know of someone whose hair grew unusually rapidly in a short period of time. When she was asked what it it is she did, she says she put a certain medication she was taking in her conditioner when she washed her hair (Please don't ask me b/c its not the healthiest thing to do and I am not going to encourage anyone to try it) So I asked my cousin whom I work w/ who is a physician and I told her about it. She told me she has read studies about that and that it does work and that she reccommends it to a certain population of patients but not to all b/c its not safe for all. So there are things that can make your hair grow, even if it is an adverse reaction. So something that nutures from the inside to help you grow stronger hair is actually making your hair grow. However, its likely to not make your hair grow past what your natural capacity. In that case, I would agree that many more people would have hair down to their booty.

Last edited:

Victorian

old head
Bublnbrnsuga said:
The PRODUCT itself isn't increasing hair growth, ie, pushing new hair out of the follicle. What's increasing hair growth? Increased blood flow=nutrients= possibly increased growth via the aid (assistance) of the cayenne pepper, scalp massages or other circulating increasing agents. Another way to say it is that it enhances what's already there. Is that clear?
Okay, I didn't know that's what you meant by "enhancing what's already there" in your first post--I thought you were referring to improving the condition of the hair.

Anyhow, you're making a bit of a straw man argument here. No one has said that in order for a growth product to be a success it must be literally pushing hair out of their follicles. I don't see anyone applying MTG to their scalps thinking it's doing some magic genetic action. The point is that some people have had faster growth as a result of using this or that. HOW that happens is moot in this discussion, although trying to understand it is helpful in other cases (finding cheaper alternatives, mixing your own concoctions, considering possible side effects, etc.).

I really feel like this is falling into the "semantics" scenario I mentioned in my first post:
BlackCardinal said:
I also think some people get hung up on the word "caused" if someone says "product x or vitamin y caused my hair to grow." Of course your hair grows on its own but there are plenty of things that can slow it down. If using something corrects an ihibitory growing environment (which you may not have even known you had), then stating that explicitly versus saying "____ grew my hair faster" is really just a matter of semantic hairsplitting. Causing to grow vs. allowing to grow is just a half empty vs. half full type thing when you consider what the result is.

It seems like a lot of people are thinking that if using a growth product doesn't result in hair growing way faster than everyone else's, then it is a failure. Why would you expect this? I've seen only a handful of people actually reporting getting an inch per month or more--most are reporting an increase of .25 or .5 inches more than usual, often putting them at .5 or .75 total. At that rate there is no reason to expect their hair to be shooting from shoulder to waistlength in a few months. I'm reiterating what I said earlier, but why compare their growth to another person's? If 7 or 8 inches per year is more than before, I'm sure they'd be happy to take it, even if it isn't all that impressive to others.

Another sentiment I'm seeing expressed is that we have too many people obsessing over growth products when they need to be focusing on the basics. Maybe it's just seeming this way because there tend to be a lot of threads about the same products going on at once, but I'm really not seeing topical products replacing good basic haircare anytime soon. The same people dialoguing in growth product threads are the same people posting in the no heat and deep conditioning and stretching relaxer threads. I don't see anyone encouraging others to abandon what they know about taking care of their hair in favor of MN or anything. If this weren't LHCF, perhaps it would seem like a more valid concern to me. But this IS LHCF, and we seem to have the basics down pretty well. Experimenting with possible growth enhancers isn't going to undermine that.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
CurliDiva said:

ITA :up: I personally feel that keeping your hair moisturized and doing protective styles will help retain your length. I have not come across any miracle pill or grease that has promoted hair growth. :nono:

Before LHCF my hair was dry brittle, I was using heat everyday, not wrapping my hair at night, etc. But now I have learned so much about taking care of my hair, the importance of taking vitamins (not just for the hair but overall health), protective styling, etc. This is the best shape my hair has ever been. :woot:

MizaniMami

I haven't read thw whole thread so this question may be redundant:

But, do anyone ever think that it isn't the growth aids that is stimulating the growth but that may it's the extra massaging (applying the products) and the extra manipulation to the scalp itself?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

sugaplum said:
ITA :up: I personally feel that keeping your hair moisturized and doing protective styles will help retain your length. I have not come across any miracle pill or grease that has promoted hair growth. :nono:

Before LHCF my hair was dry brittle, I was using heat everyday, not wrapping my hair at night, etc. But now I have learned so much about taking care of my hair, the importance of taking vitamins (not just for the hair but overall health), protective styling, etc. This is the best shape my hair has ever been. :woot:

Yup, those methods RETAIN your length, not make it grow.
You know, without thinking, I would tell people that low maintenance styles, moisturizing, etc etc would help your hair grow. It's a play on words- next time I will say to RETAIN length, do xyz.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

MizaniMami said:
I haven't read thw whole thread so this question may be redundant:

But, do anyone ever think that it isn't the growth aids that is stimulating the growth but that may it's the extra massaging (applying the products) and the extra manipulation to the scalp itself?

That's what I was thinking, even with the rogaine stuff. I think you're on to something...

Country gal

I get those pms too about product use. It really is TLC. I take great care of my hair and it rewards me. I am able to retain length like never before. Beyond cute is right. There are some underlying reasons that contribute to overall health of my hair. It really is a series of steps and good habits I formed to help me retain my hair. Our hair grows but we sometimes stump the growth from bad hair habits.

beyondcute

Also I think that when people put more into something (liek actually making a regimine and followign it) they get betetr results. Not necessarily the prodcuts but the massaging (wheter it be with a comb or with medication attached to fingers youre still massagig your scalp) or it may just be that when you actually pay attention to soemthings you get better results. When you start to actually take care of your hair (no matte rwhat yoru putting on it) I think you get better results. WHen peopel chose to add some product to thier regimine that means they have a plan which may not haev been the case before. Now if the new plan involves more scalp manipulation then I guess it woudl help it to grow. Also we all know the healthier you are the better your hair, skin and nails (and all other organs as well ;) ) become. If you werent eatign right before but now youre still eating crappy but taking vitamins your body will produce healthier cells and have healthier blood thats capapble of taking those vitamins to your scalp. I think that its not specifically the vitamins its just that the person was deficient before adn now the body is capable of producing better cells.

Candy_C

beyondcute said:
Also I think that when people put more into something (liek actually making a regimine and followign it) they get betetr results. Not necessarily the prodcuts but the massaging (wheter it be with a comb or with medication attached to fingers youre still massagig your scalp) or it may just be that when you actually pay attention to soemthings you get better results. When you start to actually take care of your hair (no matte rwhat yoru putting on it) I think you get better results. WHen peopel chose to add some product to thier regimine that means they have a plan which may not haev been the case before. Now if the new plan involves more scalp manipulation then I guess it woudl help it to grow. Also we all know the healthier you are the better your hair, skin and nails (and all other organs as well ;) ) become. If you werent eatign right before but now youre still eating crappy but taking vitamins your body will produce healthier cells and have healthier blood thats capapble of taking those vitamins to your scalp. I think that its not specifically the vitamins its just that the person was deficient before adn now the body is capable of producing better cells.

yep, spot on!

sticking to things, in all aspects in your life, reaps results. Also planning.

personally, my hair grows quite fast without vits, but because i wanna see faster results i take vits. i guess its all personal preference. i dont use any topical growth aids or anything at all on my scalp, i find its too much manipulation to apply them, and my scalp is a forest when i get regrowth so...

oh and another thing, alot of people seem to shy away from petrolatum and mineral oil....ladies this stuff is excellent for the ends of the hair when you've added something else underneath! maybe its bad for the scalp but theres always a use for things!

Candy_C

FlowerHair said:
And if people's hair actually grows 1 inch a month, that is 12 inches in a year. I doubt it, although I won't say it doesn't ever happen.
I'm a skeptic by nature!:lol:

1. There are loads of things that really do increase growth, but its a personal pref, not everyone is gonna take it, take it consistently etc

2. and my hair is growing a inch per month, and we shall find out by january 2007 if my hair grew out 12 inches :)

Faith

1QTPie said:
For the record I went from 2 inches or less to 12 or more in about a year. I didn't do anything protective or special, all I did was workout. :look:
I have to admit when I worked out a lot my hair did grow faster. I guess it's back to more workouts I go...if that's what's needed I would rather do that than take extra pills or rub things on my scalp...it's better for my overall health.

How often were you working out?