Hair Growth=Nail Growth?

sunshinelady

So, my hair grows, but is weak and doesn't retain any length and my nails grow, but are weak. I noticed a friend of mine who has been growing her hair out for a short amount of time has surpassed my hair that was longer than her starting point. I've known her since we were children and she has always had really long, strong nails.

So, now I'm wondering if I have something is wrong with me.

• Does anyone here have long hair, but nails that won't grow? Basically, I'm asking does hair growth=nail growth?
  • Also, can anyone think of why my hair and nails might be weak like this? I eat lots of protein, maybe it is something with my digestion?

Last edited:

Traycee

This same thread was started a couple of days ago....give me a few minutes to see if i can find it for you...

MrsWatson

That is a good question. Both my sister and my mom have waist length hair and they do absolutely nothing to it. No secret remedies, no co washes and deep conditioners and daily moisturizing, etc. However, they also are always having to clip their fingernails. Me on the other hand, who has never had hair past shoulder length, hardly ever has to clip my nails...i wonder...

Moroni

So, my hair grows, but is weak and doesn't retain any length and my nails grow, but are weak. I noticed a friend of mine who has been growing her hair out for a shorter amount of time has surpassed mine. She has always had really long, strong nails.

So, now I'm wondering if I have something is wrong with me.
  • Does anyone here have long hair, but nails that won't grow? Basically, I'm asking does hair growth=nail growth?
  • Also, can anyone think of why my hair and nails might be weak like this?

What's your diet like? Do you have any reactions to foods, that you are aware of? Do you take supplements?

I've noticed that people who do not eat/absorb the nutrients that are required to have a healthy body, those same people do not have healthy hair and nails. If you're eating all the right foods and drinking (water) 1/2 your body weight in ounces, and taking all the supplements you know are required to grow and maintain healthy cells, then it's possible that you are not absorbing those nutrients. In that case, I'd recommend you first start with a cleansing fast combined with colon cleansing. There's more to do, but this is a great start. HTH

ETA: It's also vital that you are exercising your bod at least 20 minutes, 3 times a day!

sunshinelady

What's your diet like? Do you have any reactions to foods, that you are aware of? Do you take supplements?

I've noticed that people who do not eat/absorb the nutrients that are required to have a healthy body, those same people do not have healthy hair and nails. If you're eating all the right foods and drinking (water) 1/2 your body weight in ounces, and taking all the supplements you know are required to grow and maintain healthy cells, then it's possible that you are not absorbing those nutrients. In that case, I'd recommend you first start with a cleansing fast combined with colon cleansing. There's more to do, but this is a great start. HTH

ETA: It's also vital that you are exercising your bod at least 20 minutes, 3 times a day!

My diet is great. I could add more water and I definitely need to up the exercise.

Should I go to a trichologist?

tia123

Nutrition is a major factor in how well our hair and nails fair. I recently went to my local Dermatologist for hair loss, and and he recommended this product to me for hair/nails etc.: Appearex Biotin Supplement. You can take a look at it by going to Walgreens.com. I did not try it because I was already taking Puritan's Pride biotin & B-vits. Also, my Derm. recommended Biotin Forte which is sold at the Vitamin Shoppe. It is biotin with the B-vitamins already added. I have nice long strong nails and no hair, but that is due to hair loss from an illness. However, it is improving greatly.

drasgrl

My nails were always long without me doing anything special but my hair stayed the same. So for me my nail growth had nothing to do with my hair growth ( or lack of it).

Moroni

My diet is great. I could add more water and I definitely need to up the exercise.

Should I go to a trichologist?

Is it possible that you're not absorbing the nutrients, then? Do you eliminate solid waste more than 1 time per day? Are you at an ideal weight for your height, not over or under weight? Are the whites of your eyes white or dingy yellow? Is your tongue pink or heavily coated with white stuff? I could go on. There's no way anyone can diagnose you from the information you've given....if they try.....run quickly in the opposite direction.

I think the best thing to do is to take care of what's internal, leading to the weak hair and nails, instead of focusing on just your hair. HTH

ETA: Remember, "You are what you ABSORB".

Last edited:

glamazon386

My nails have always grown fine (as long as I kept them out of my mouth :look:) but my hair didn't. There's no correlation between the two for me.

sunshinelady

Is it possible that you're not absorbing the nutrients, then? Do you eliminate solid waste more than 1 time per day? Are you at an ideal weight for your height, not over or under weight? Are the whites of your eyes white or dingy yellow? Is your tongue pink or heavily coated with white stuff? I could go on. There's no way anyone can diagnose you from the information you've given....if they try.....run quickly in the opposite direction.

I think the best thing to do is to take care of what's internal, leading to the weak hair and nails, instead of focusing on just your hair. HTH

ETA: Remember, "You are what you ABSORB".

I pmed you.