My relaxer touchup was a success!!!!! (long)

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Yesterday I've done my self-relaxer touchup, and followed the advice from all of you who do the relax, condition and neutralize method. I parted from ear to ear, and put a plastic cap on the top section of to be relaxed later. I based my scalp with Blue Magic Coconut Oil, and proceeded with the back section. I used the entire Elasta QP System for the touchup (Mild Relaxer, Intense, Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo).

Began by applying the relaxer on the new growth only, and smoothed it for 15-20 minutes. Prior to the touchup, I protected my ends with the neutralizing shampoo and cholesterol to prevent any relaxer from coming into contact. Kept checking to make sure that my NG is smoothed thoroughly , and by feeling the area (didn't wear gloves, used to doing the method without them) to determine the straightness I wanted. Rinsed the back portion with the sprayer hose to thoroughly remove every trace of relaxer. Since the doggone plastic bag came off the top half while rinsing the back, I have to wait for that section to dry before relaxing. Since my hair dries fast, I went ahead and relaxed the other half . After that, it's back to the sink and rinsed all the relaxer from top half. Did the condition part for 20 minutes, neutralize afterwards. The end result: my hair is straight with little waves in the back. The way I like my hair to be. YaaaY!!!!!! </font> /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

BrEE

GREAT JOBBBBBBB, that's how i self relaxed too, except i went in the shower to rinse off the relaxer and the shower cap didnt come off.

Carlie

I notice a lot more people are self-relaxing nowadays. I'm glad everything went well for you! /images/graemlins/up.gif

shoelover1972

Carlie said:
[ QUOTE ]
I notice a lot more people are self-relaxing nowadays. I'm glad everything went well for you! /images/graemlins/up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that too especially this month.
Glad it went well for you.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
WTG..so out of 10 how would you rate the Elasta QP relaxer?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">I give it an 11! lol! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Even though I mixed some EVOO in the Mild formula, it still did the job without a single burning sensation on the scalp. Next time for basing, I'm going to use shea butter instead of the Blue Magic Coconut grease. </font>

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">And this is from stretching my relaxer for 7 months (March to October) that gave me results. I thought my hair was going to break off at the demarcation line from stretching that long. But because I take care of my hair, and consuming more protein, it got stronger and didn't do a bit of damage. Now that's what I called "Hair Made Of Steel!" </font>

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">And this is from stretching my relaxer for 7 months (March to October) that gave me results. I thought my hair was going to break off at the demarcation line from stretching that long. But because I take care of my hair, and consuming more protein, it got stronger and didn't do a bit of damage. Now that's what I called "Hair Made Of Steel!" </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, you stretched for 7 mths w. no breakage!? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now, I feel like I can make it to 4 mths successfully! Thanks for mentioning that! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quick question: what styles did you wear your hair while stretching for that long? Oh, and how much extra growth did you get??? TIA /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Carlie, I wore during part of the summer braids with/without extensions, and the rest of the time, ponytails with ends tucked over my drawstring pony. From what I've been monitored of my new growth, I gained about 3.5 inches from stretching my relaxer. My hair grows like crazy since I've been Surging, but stopped because it was too drying. It was the daily conditioner washes and keeping my hair in a protected style that helped gained that amount of growth. Pretty amazing, huh? </font>

Carlie

Thanks for answering BabyCurls. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Yes, it is pretty amazing. Keep up the good hair care!!! /images/graemlins/up.gif

sengschick

The Bun Master
Congrats BabyCurls!!!! I'm hearing all of the success stories right when I need it. I just had a conversation w/one of my students and I was planning to call a new stylist to see if I could get this touch-up/correction done by a 'pro'. But I'm thinking maybe I can do this @ home. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Faith

Thanks Babycurls...also how long did you leave it on and how straight did you get it? Did you have to smooth a lot? I'm only looking for 75% straight.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Since I use the Mild relaxer. I left it on according to the package directions (15-20 minutes max). As far as smoothing goes, it came out 95% straight because I have 3a/b fine hair with curls and waves.

Pooh, I'm taking pics with my disposable camera right now. I'm going to have them on a CD so I can upload them onto my album. When I can, I'll have everyone see them. Then I'll purchase a digital camera sometime before the holidays. Keep watching. </font>

dannie

I love to hear these stories, instead of "the witch burned a hole in my scalp!". Congrats on your touch-up!

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">You know, it's better to do it yourself than to have someone set your hair on fire. /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif When I relax my hair, I always do it, and I don't depend on anyone else doing my own hair for say, $50.00 or so. Save your own money, do your own relaxer, and problems won't get in the way. Thanx.</font>

LondonDiva

Congrats again /images/graemlins/clap.gif This will save you plenty of money. And if you were a little nervous the first time, let me tell you it still stays every time you do a touch up, you're like please Lord don't let me be bald /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Anyway just a tip. After I've applied the relaxer (I don't use gloves either) my fingers get extremely wrinkled when using them to the point where it hurts, however thoroughly scrub your nails and hands with neutralizing shampoo to get all traces of it off. Regular soap just won't do it.