My New Protective Style: I made a clip-in weave!!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Ok, after reading about how easy the clip in weave was I had to experiment and make my own from tracks. The only thing that took kinda long was sewing the tracks onto the clips. You can glue it if you want but I'd rather sew. It's only two stitches on each side of the clips and I put 2-3 clips on each track. My hair feels unbelievably flat and you can barely feel the clips. This is much better than the half wig that feels too heavy for me.

This is my first weave and I had no idea what type of hair to even get but the girl at the BSS just threw me a pack of $20 hair after I told her I only wanted it for a partial weave and mainly for fullness. I had no choice but to trust her :look:. Well, I think it matched perfectly and I barely used half the pack and I left a lot of my front out of course to make it look more natural

Putting it in only takes all of 2-3 minutes each morning and it's about 6 tracks total. I wouldn't dare sleep in those clips though. I feared the clips may snag my hair since they're metal but when I go home today I'm going to wrap the hair AROUND the sides of the clip too and re-sew it onto the clips.

I'm still afraid of breakage from these darn metal clips though :perplexed

What do you all think? I'm afraid I'll be spoiled by this all this length and fullness and not want to wear my own hair after this though. :spinning:

Attachments

• LHCFCLIP.jpg
    LHCFCLIP.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 220

supermodelsonya

I think it looks dayum good! I may look into this. How exactly did you sew the clips on? Do you have pics of what it looks like? That would be very helpful!!!!!!!!!!! TIA

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I think it looks dayum good! I may look into this. How exactly did you sew the clips on? Do you have pics of what it looks like? That would be very helpful!!!!!!!!!!! TIA

Thanks! Here is a picture of one of the clips. They're about one inch long and you sew them on each end of the track and one in the middle if you want. The clips are 2 for $1 in the BSS and 3 for $1.99 in Sally's. I think the Sally's may protect your hair a little better, as the metal feels better.

You use the holes on the sides of the clip to sew the hair onto. I only used one hole on each side and did a loop thread on each side.

This other picture should give you an idea:

kittenz

Ok, after reading about how easy the clip in weave was I had to experiment and make my own from tracks. The only thing that took kinda long was sewing the tracks onto the clips. You can glue it if you want but I'd rather sew. It's only two stitches on each side of the clips and I put 2-3 clips on each track. My hair feels unbelievably flat and you can barely feel the clips. This is much better than the half wig that feels too heavy for me.

This is my first weave and I had no idea what type of hair to even get but the girl at the BSS just threw me a pack of $20 hair after I told her I only wanted it for a partial weave and mainly for fullness. I had no choice but to trust her :look:. Well, I think it matched perfectly and I barely used half the pack and I left a lot of my front out of course to make it look more natural

Putting it in only takes all of 2-3 minutes each morning and it's about 6 tracks total. I wouldn't dare sleep in those clips though. I feared the clips may snag my hair since they're metal but when I go home today I'm going to wrap the hair AROUND the sides of the clip too and re-sew it onto the clips.

I'm still afraid of breakage from these darn metal clips though :perplexed

What do you all think? I'm afraid I'll be spoiled by this all this length and fullness and not want to wear my own hair after this though. :spinning:
OMG! I did the exact same thing last night. After seeing Paula Dean and someone on tv with clip in I figured it was easy enough.:rolleyes: I really like them!

I think you should oil the clip before apply them:ohwell: that was my only idea about preventing breakage. I made 2 for length since my hair is crazt thick right now. I think I'll like them more after a relaxer because fresh touch-up always make hair appear thinner.

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
OMG! I did the exact same thing last night. After seeing Paula Dean and someone on tv with clip in I figured it was easy enough.:rolleyes: I really like them!

I know, right!! I thought the clips wouldn't stay in but it's amazing how tight they are once you snap them on!!

Do you have pics of yours?

kittenz

I know, right!! I thought the clips wouldn't stay in but it's amazing how tight they are once you snap them on!!

I'll take pics when I get home. I sewed on 3 clips to each (ends and middle) those things are super strong.

I wore them out on a run to the store and I felt all glamorous. I can't wait to get new hair though. I used some random hair that I had at home (since it was supposed to just be a test) but it's # 2 my hair is a #4. It's still nice though. I can't wear them in daylight until I get the right color.

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'll take pics when I get home. I sewed on 3 clips to each (ends and middle) those things are super strong.

I wore them out on a run to the store and I felt all glamorous. I can't wait to get new hair though. I used some random hair that I had at home (since it was supposed to just be a test) but it's # 2 my hair is a #4. It's still nice though. I can't wear them in daylight until I get the right color.

Ok, I'll check back in to see your pics!! If you love it that much with the wrong texture/color, imagine how much you will love it with the right one. And I did the same thing, put it on the ends and one in the middle. That's only because I was afraid it would sag in the middle if I pulled it.

Thanks for the oil tip. I'll do that too. I'm thinking of cutting the track about a millimeter or so longer so that it can wrap around the sides of the clip to cover the rounded metal edges just in case. So if you redo yours, you may want to experiment with that too. Good luck!

kittenz

^^^good idea. I'll give that a try.

ETA: I REALLY liked how they looked pulled up/ bunned. I think my own buns are too scrawny but this added all the bulk I needed without looking fake. I might actually start wearing my hair up now.

Last edited:

Nyssa28

When I was in Cosmetology school, my nail instructor made 3 tracks for me. I loved how full they made my hair look. I need to make more for length!

SelfStyled

HairSnob that looks really, really good on you:yep:!

Here is a tutorial for clip ins:
http://jantenkriselle.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorials

I have tried the clip ins in the back of my head, but I didn't think they felt that comfy.

I made a clip in bang, it's a long swoop bang, that I love and it is very comfy.

The drawback to the clip ins for me are the fact that I still have to "do" my hair so that it matches the clip ins. I am so lazy, that the half wigs are just easier for me, lol.

cookie1

I think it looks great! I would like to see pics from the front..where did you place the combs (ex. the very front to your head, middle)?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Ok, I scribbled something together real quick. Hope it's clear!! Sorry, I don't have pics from the front but will take some tonight.

Here is the pic of the weave clips. They sell them in packs of 2 at the BSS for $1. You’ll need at least two clips for each track (one on each end). Or you can use more if you’d like. I used three on most of the tracks (one on each end and one in the middle).

Sew in on only the top hole here on the left and right of each clip

------------v
v
They’re about 1 inch long each

I started at the back of my head and made a part about an inch above the nape of my neck hairline and left that hair out just in case I want to do a high ponytail. You can do braids if you want but I wanted to leave all of my hair out with NO BRAIDS since this is a partial and for fullness. Believe me, the combs will snap onto your hair without them. Think of how a side-comb works but it’s clamped on afterwards.

Measure the track and cut it about 1/4 inch from each side of your hair.

Lay the track down and place the flat side of the clip onto the track. Make sure the comb side is not against the track.

Sew a couple of stitches through both the clip and the track using one of the holes on each corner only. Glue it on if you want but I have no patience for waiting for the glue to dry.

IMPORTANT: The clips bend so that you can place them into your hair freely. BEFORE you put them in your hair (like a side-comb) you bend them and it opens up. After you place it in your hair you just bend it back and it snaps and is tight as a glove on your hair. Like a barrette. To take them out you bend them again and it comes out easily.

For the next track, part your hair about an inch or so above the other track(leaving the hair out) and repeat the process of measuring and sewing the clips onto each track.

Go as high up as you want, depending on how full you want it. I used about 6 tracks and that left about 2 inches of my hair out in the front to cover the last track. I only plan to wear it combed straight back or in a ponytail so you can get creative with bangs. I have no clue how to do bangs though :nono: LOL.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!

blackpearl81

Wow...this is a really good idea!! I've work a weave before but got so frustrated with the glue and sewing and all that stuff:wallbash:, but this technique is so simple and versatile!

I'm gonna try this...Thanks girl:grin:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
HairSnob that looks really, really good on you:yep:!

Here is a tutorial for clip ins:
http://jantenkriselle.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorials

I have tried the clip ins in the back of my head, but I didn't think they felt that comfy.

I made a clip in bang, it's a long swoop bang, that I love and it is very comfy.

The drawback to the clip ins for me are the fact that I still have to "do" my hair so that it matches the clip ins. I am so lazy, that the half wigs are just easier for me, lol.

Thanks!! And thanks for adding that tutorial. Didn't see that before I added mine. And I know what you mean about having to do your hair. But I rocked half-wigs all Winter but they have too much material and net underneath for me :nono: and it got on my nerves and felt too hot for me when it got hot. Almost like I was wearing a hat. So far I've been wearing it up in a bun to work and I plan to wear it out this weekend (if I get the nerve) LOL.

addaboutmyhair

I definitely might try this. I was planning to have tracks sewn in in layers similar to the way this is done but more long term.

Mertzy

I made clip-ins to wear when I am going out to the club or for a special event, or just when I feel like changing up my styles. I wear it for length, but sometimes I will add a track or two that is a different color to give off the effect of highlights. My only suggestion is to NOT wear them at the airport.

foxee

Wow, it turned out good! I like this idea much better than getting a sew in. I noticed there's hair at the BSS with precut layers (some have a precut bang). That would make the process easier for people like myself who can't cut layers to save her life!

malachi74

i'm trying to make some clip-in bangs at home. I started by using the bohyme brazilian wave weave and flat-ironing it (trying to match my texture since the curly matches my curly) but i think i'm going to try using some good ol' minky-yaky hair.

xquisitduchess

I wore clip on weaves for about 1.5years im thinking about it again. i've worn my clip on weave at the airport i dont think its real metal so it doesnt set the alarm off. i do have to admit the first time i was scared...can u imagine the humilation if my weave was setting off the metal alarms:lachen:.

Last edited: