My hair is in LOVE WITH CHEAPIES

Nanyanika

Has anyone found that there hair responds better to cheaper products? I don't know why the sudden change, but for some strange reason my hair is just thriving on CHEAP products, especially Most of the ASlberto vo5 herbals/naturals freesia, tangerine tickle, split ends and many others which i use daily for co washes. i've found my homemade mixture of glycerin, water, VO5 conditioner is much more softening/moisturising when i used s-curl/ which i've now ditched. All my deep conditioners Lekair, moitions oil silk protein, motions cpr, Dark and lovely dry hair healer, seem to work so well even better than all the expensive salon line brands like Nexxus, keracare, DeepBrilliance. i've spent so much cash on these products which often left my hair dry, hard and tangled, usually because of the silicone content. no more expensive salon line products for me: CHEAPIES all the way, i thought i might just share.

Last edited:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I'm right with you Den1. I've just started using V05 (never used it before) and my hair loves it. I use Nature's gate conditioners which I mix with Lekair or Queen Helene's cholesterol and I get the best results. I've also recently started making black soap shampoo and my hair loves this more than my used to be beloved Elasta QP creme shampoo. When I first joined LHCF I tried a lot of expensive products like Keracare, Kenra, Paul Mitchell, Sebastian and many more. ALL of these products left me feeling like I wasted my money because they never gave me the results I thought they should for the price. If I find something I love I'll spend money for it but I haven't found a product that great yet.

Nanyanika

nurseN98 said:
I'm right with you Den1. I've just started using V05 (never used it before) and my hair loves it. I use Nature's gate conditioners which I mix with Lekair or Queen Helene's cholesterol and I get the best results. I've also recently started making black soap shampoo and my hair loves this more than my used to be beloved Elasta QP creme shampoo. When I first joined LHCF I tried a lot of expensive products like Keracare, Kenra, Paul Mitchell, Sebastian and many more. ALL of these products left me feeling like I wasted my money because they never gave me the results I thought they should for the price. If I find something I love I'll spend money for it but I haven't found a product that great yet.

Oh i forget to mention the shampoos i've tried: they're mainly keracare, Nexxus, L'anza brands but i keep going back to my CON or Elasta brands. I'll never spend all that money again, like you i never got the results they claim.

Cinnabuns

Girl I hear you Den1, my hair LOVES V05 conditioners. I'm in love with all the brands by V05 that you mentioned. I have bought MANY high priced shampoos and conditioners and I still come back to CON and using the cheap V05 condtioners. They really are the bomb. :yay:Check out what this article says about cheap poos and cons:

http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com//ed_cheapskate.asp?ID=11192

Money Down the Drain

Come on ... ‘fess up. You feel guilty using $.99 shampoo because it’s really bad for your hair. And anybody knows the $24 salon variety is so much better especially for chemically treated hair, right? Wrong!

Price has nothing to do with it (and I tell you this at the risk of getting angry letters from professional hair dressers and salon owners).

Fact: All shampoos are 80 to 90 percent water. The rest is detergent with a few drops of fragrance, additives and preservatives.

Fact: There are basically two kinds of detergent: Anionic (harsh) and cationic (gentle).

Fact: The only part of the shampoo bottle that’s regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the list of ingredients. Manufacturers can make any claim they like on the unregulated portions of the label. Sometimes the hype has some merit, often it has none.

The secret to shampoo intelligence is to know your detergents. Pay little if any attention to anything on that bottle or packaging except for the list of ingredients. Water (or some fancy name for good old H2O) will always be the first ingredient. Next comes the detergent. Examples that you might find:

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate - harsh
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - still harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - mild, great choice
TEA Lauryl Sulfate - gentle, good choice
TEA Laureth Sulfate - gentle, also a good choice

Myth: Shampoo builds up on hair so you need to change brands occasionally to counteract this. Shampoo cannot build up on hair, however conditioners and other products and chemical processes do and you may need to use a stronger type of shampoo from time to time.

Myth: Salon brand shampoos outperform inexpensive store brands. Not true. Salon brands may have more fragrance, foam more or have more ingredients, but all of it goes right down the drain with the detergent.

Myth: High quality shampoo can repair and nourish damaged hair. Hair is dead and cannot be repaired. Any hair product can only provide temporary benefits to the look and feel of hair.

Myth: Baby shampoo (no-tears) is great for adults because it is so gentle. The detergent in baby shampoo is way too gentle and not designed for cleaning adult hair especially when a lot of styling products have been used.

When purchasing shampoo, consider just two things:

1. Price
2. Type of detergent

Interestingly, the “rinse and repeat” instruction you will read on every shampoo bottle goes back to a marketing campaign one manufacturer created to increase sales. It sure does that, all right, and you can make your shampoo last twice as long if you skip “repeat.”

Shampoo frequently, rinse thoroughly. If your hair turns out dull and lackluster the problem may be inadequate rinsing. Tip: Pour 1/2 cup white vinegar through hair during the rinsing process. This will remove all traces of the shampoo and leave your hair sleek and shiny.

If you clip shampoo coupons from your Sunday newspaper and match them with shampoo sales in your grocery store, you may never pay more than $1 for shampoo again. Most of my current shampoo stockpile was free. With a sale price of less than $2 and a $1 coupon doubled ... well, you figure it out.

With the money you save on the shampoo, buy a quality conditioner. Unlike shampoo that washes down the drain, the quality of conditioner does make a difference.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

VO5 conditioners work like a dream on my hair too, they're simply wonderful, they keep my hair soft after co-washes. Looks like some of us ladies will be saving a fortune from now on. Thanks so much for posting this article, this so interesting it reminds of Paula begoen's book called: Don't go shopping for hair products without me, she concisely seprates the myths from the faxcts about hair products we buy and advises consumers to make informed decisions when we decide to purchase hair products.

Cinnabuns said:
Girl I hear you Den1, my hair LOVES V05 conditioners. I'm in love with all the brands by V05 that you mentioned. I have bought MANY high priced shampoos and conditioners and I still come back to CON and using the cheap V05 condtioners. They really are the bomb. :yay:Check out what this article says about cheap poos and cons:

http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com//ed_cheapskate.asp?ID=11192

Money Down the Drain

Come on ... ‘fess up. You feel guilty using $.99 shampoo because it’s really bad for your hair. And anybody knows the $24 salon variety is so much better especially for chemically treated hair, right? Wrong!

Price has nothing to do with it (and I tell you this at the risk of getting angry letters from professional hair dressers and salon owners).

Fact: All shampoos are 80 to 90 percent water. The rest is detergent with a few drops of fragrance, additives and preservatives.

Fact: There are basically two kinds of detergent: Anionic (harsh) and cationic (gentle).

Fact: The only part of the shampoo bottle that’s regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the list of ingredients. Manufacturers can make any claim they like on the unregulated portions of the label. Sometimes the hype has some merit, often it has none.

The secret to shampoo intelligence is to know your detergents. Pay little if any attention to anything on that bottle or packaging except for the list of ingredients. Water (or some fancy name for good old H2O) will always be the first ingredient. Next comes the detergent. Examples that you might find:

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate - harsh
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - still harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - mild, great choice
TEA Lauryl Sulfate - gentle, good choice
TEA Laureth Sulfate - gentle, also a good choice

Myth: Shampoo builds up on hair so you need to change brands occasionally to counteract this. Shampoo cannot build up on hair, however conditioners and other products and chemical processes do and you may need to use a stronger type of shampoo from time to time.

Myth: Salon brand shampoos outperform inexpensive store brands. Not true. Salon brands may have more fragrance, foam more or have more ingredients, but all of it goes right down the drain with the detergent.

Myth: High quality shampoo can repair and nourish damaged hair. Hair is dead and cannot be repaired. Any hair product can only provide temporary benefits to the look and feel of hair.

Myth: Baby shampoo (no-tears) is great for adults because it is so gentle. The detergent in baby shampoo is way too gentle and not designed for cleaning adult hair especially when a lot of styling products have been used.

When purchasing shampoo, consider just two things:

1. Price
2. Type of detergent

Interestingly, the “rinse and repeat” instruction you will read on every shampoo bottle goes back to a marketing campaign one manufacturer created to increase sales. It sure does that, all right, and you can make your shampoo last twice as long if you skip “repeat.”

Shampoo frequently, rinse thoroughly. If your hair turns out dull and lackluster the problem may be inadequate rinsing. Tip: Pour 1/2 cup white vinegar through hair during the rinsing process. This will remove all traces of the shampoo and leave your hair sleek and shiny.

If you clip shampoo coupons from your Sunday newspaper and match them with shampoo sales in your grocery store, you may never pay more than $1 for shampoo again. Most of my current shampoo stockpile was free. With a sale price of less than $2 and a $1 coupon doubled ... well, you figure it out.

With the money you save on the shampoo, buy a quality conditioner. Unlike shampoo that washes down the drain, the quality of conditioner does make a difference.

Cinnabuns

den1 said:
VO5 conditioners work like a dream on my hair too, they're simply wonderful, they keep my hair soft after co-washes. Looks like some of us ladies will be saving a fortune from now on. Thanks so much for posting this article, this so interesting it reminds of Paula begoen's book called: Don't go shopping for hair products without me, she concisely seprates the myths from the faxcts about hair products we buy and advises consumers to make informed decisions when we decide to purchase hair products.

You're welcome Den1 anytime. :)

Cinnabuns, thanks for the facts. My hair is relaxed (currently in braids) and I am looking for new shampoo/conditioner, and I didn't know where to start since I don't know that much about ingredients. Thanks though, good lookin' out. Be blessed.

Healthb4Length

Hey den, my hair is also doing well with cheapie products. I'm loving Suave's coconut conditioner, Tresumme Vit. E moisturizing shampoo, Silk Elements mega cholesterol,and anything from Elasta. I've tried some expensive products and I was disappointed at the results (Kenra Phenominal conditioner--it was okay for me). I also like the NTM shampoo, conditioner and serum.

Cinnabuns

Alli77 said:
Hey den, my hair is also doing well with cheapie products. I'm loving Suave's coconut conditioner, Tresumme Vit. E moisturizing shampoo, Silk Elements mega cholesterol,and anything from Elasta. I've tried some expensive products and I was disappointed at the results (Kenra Phenominal conditioner--it was okay for me). I also like the NTM shampoo, conditioner and serum.

Hmmm...I was thinking of picking up that Tresumme Vit E. Moisturizing poo, but I saw the con also. I have to get some ASAP.

I too have spent so much ya'll on high priced hair products, but nothing beats the cheap stuff for me. I could not even tell you how long it's been since I went to the BSS :rollingeyes:

Nanyanika

Alli77: I've heard so much about Suave, whats the conditioner like? I really like the fact that i can buy cheap products which are of high quality for my hair. I can't wait to finish up my expensive stuff.

Healthb4Length

Den, I like the suaves I personally like the coconut conditioner the best, it smells heavenly and it makes my hair very soft without leaving a heavy film on my hair after my co-washes, it also helps with detangling too.

Nanyanika

Alli77 said:
Den, I like the suaves I personally like the coconut conditioner the best, it smells heavenly and it makes my hair very soft without leaving a heavy film on my hair after my co-washes, it also helps with detangling too.

Thanks for replying, now i'm wondering whether i can find suave in uk!! hmm

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I have to admit I love some of the cheaper brands too. VO5 Oasis Honey & Almond, Suave Milk and Honey, LeKair, Pantene are some of my favorite cheapie hair conditioners. Cheap shampoo the Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal. Love your hair Den1!!!!

Nanyanika

lthomas1 said:
I have to admit I love some of the cheaper brands too. VO5 Oasis Honey & Almond, Suave Milk and Honey, LeKair, Pantene are some of my favorite cheapie hair conditioners. Cheap shampoo the Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal. Love your hair Den1!!!!

I used to like pantene, especially on my natural hair, it made it very tangle free and soft, however i after a few usages I noticed that my ends became increasingly frizzy, so i stopped using it. I discovered the Alberto VO5 as a texturized head, hated it at first, but after i had my corrective my hair loved this stuff. Thanks for the compliments lthomas1.

Last edited:

bellydancer

i love cheap products... that's all I buy. I think many of them work better than the expensive ones...
1) 20 oz Lustrasilk Shea butter Cholesterol conditioner (no mineral oil)- 99 cent on sale, 2.38 regular
2) 30 oz Creme of Nature shampoo- $4.00
3) 10 oz bottle of Comb-thru Softener- $3.00
4) 3 liters of olive oil- $10.00
5) healthy hair- priceless

Ayeshia

Luckily my hair loves cheap products as well because Im sure as hell broke :rofl:

I use Lustrasilk Aloe Vera
Mango Butter
Pantene Products

I believe that my most expensive product is my ORS.

Peachtree

That's all I use is cheapie products. My hair luvs 'em, so does my wallet :lol:

I've used them since day 1 of my healthy regime (back during my relaxed days), and continue to use them with WONDERFUL RESULTS now!!!

I didn't know Lustrasilk made a "Shea Butter" formula. I gotta go find this product!!!

buffalosoldier

I REALLY like suave awapuhi as a leave in condish but besides that I ONLY like salon shampoo's and conditioners. The difference to me is like night and day

No I dont think that suave is available in england

Nanyanika

Hi, Peachtree, I was hoping you post in this thread I know you luv cheapie products coz they worked so well on that beautiful mane of yours, i also hope to achive wonderful results like yourself.

Peachtree said:
That's all I use is cheapie products. My hair luvs 'em, so does my wallet :lol:

I've used them since day 1 of my healthy regime (back during my relaxed days), and continue to use them with WONDERFUL RESULTS now!!!

I didn't know Lustrasilk made a "Shea Butter" formula. I gotta go find this product!!!

Nanyanika

Buffolasolider, I did a search for suave products, couldn’t find it in the UK, its shame but I’ll survive I’m using good products as it is.

buffalosoldier said:
I REALLY like suave awapuhi as a leave in condish but besides that I ONLY like salon shampoo's and conditioners. The difference to me is like night and day

No I dont think that suave is available in england

buffalosoldier

den1 said:
Buffolasolider, I did a search for suave products, couldn’t find it in the UK, its shame but I’ll survive I’m using good products as it is.

LOL!! One less thing you have to worry about buying.......they are very comparable to Vo5 conditioners anyway.
My sister (in Uk) really wants to try pantene for black hair but they dont sell it yet. Im surprised cos there is definitely a market for it.

Nanyanika

buffalosoldier said:
LOL!! One less thing you have to worry about buying.......they are very comparable to Vo5 conditioners anyway.
My sister (in Uk) really wants to try pantene for black hair but they dont sell it yet. Im surprised cos there is definitely a market for it.

oh you have a sis in uk, is she into hair care too? I tried pantene conditioner for black hair, i bought it on holiday in jamaica, i didn't find it that great.

Tai

Now that I'm transitioning, my hair LOVES cheapies w/ good ingredients. My co wash conditioners are all under $4, most are under $3. My shampoo is all free thus far from product samples. Deep conditioners, except for a couple like SWGM, are under $10. My texturized hair was a different story, though. I had to splurge.

IvyMichael

I gotta agree with this thread. When I first joined the forum, I bought some Keracare and Nexxus products, but now that i've experimented with stuff, I found that the cheaper stuff works the best. I'm lovin NTM (DDC and the leave in) right now, and CON shampoo and nourishing conditioner is awesome. Lustrasilk is another great conditioner for deep treatments and Suave Milk and Honey and LUST have been treating my hair very well lately. I'm still kinda curious about Kenra though . . . .

DragonPearl

Cheapskate checking in!!! My hair does fine with carefully selected cheaper brands.

The only exception is Paul Mitchell The Conditioner which I have been regularly using for 10+ years. I just love that stuff.