Can You Really Afford to Take Care of Your Hair?

hairfanatic

This question came up in my mind when a friend of mine mentioned how expensive the Wanakee (now Beverly Johnson) products cost. When you look at both of our closets and boxes, we have spent over $500 or more per year on hair products alone! So if you think about it, with all of the constant trying of different products, she really COULD afford to buy the products or any other system to use on her hair.

The real thing I believe is that she hasn't found the RIGHT products that work for her hair. So when she sees an expensive product line, she and many of us automatically believe it's too expensive for us to use on an ongoing basis. If you look into your cabinets, etc., I'm sure many of us would see that buying a hair system, going to the salon, etc., is really not expensive at all, if we compared it to the many times we have purchased new products when someone mentions how great they work. Just one of those reality checks I had to think about. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sweetcocoa

I agree with you until you find the right products....the trick is to STICK to what works once you have found it. I know I can be a PJ sometimes, but in the last year I've only replenished the stuff that works for me. The only new product I brought cost me $0.99(which I found out later I'm allergic to the scent), I've also brought some new hair rollers that were different and that's about it. I spent alot more last year....now I'm sticking to what's in my bio. I also sold 2 hair dryers I brought on EBAY( I think the 3 I have left are enough). So I can safely say I'm currently saving money doing my own hair(also I feel like I care more about how my hair is handled...so I still only go to the 'professionals' for hair cuts).

beana3

well... Hairfanatic that was a good one. I thought doing my own hair wold turn out to be less expensive, it also depends on the person. At one point I would buy sooo many products, only to find out NONE of them responded well to my hair, and end up wasting money. I've spent soo much money on haircare products, haire wigs, clip-in hair extensions, that i'm really beginning to wonder if i'm saving money at all! Thankfully i've found a core of products that work well for me, so this is helping my PJism, but i'm still spending lots of money.
My point is, i hate the whole "salon experince" and i refuse to PAY someone to do my hair and possibly mess it up. I took my haircare into my own hands because i thought it would be cheaper and i would get full use out of all my money. Come to find out, its Hradly cheaper, but the upside is I can deep condition my hair for hours if i please.

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
we have spent over $500 or more per year on hair products alone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Hairfanatic,

Unfortunately, I spend a whole lot more per year on my hair. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, it costs me more to maintain my hair, now that I have taken control of it's care, than ever before. A lot of the products I use are expensive, and now that I wash and condition my hair every 3 days, I run out of products much faster. There's also that itty-bitty fact that I am a PJ. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

G

I spend less on my hair now. I have stopped trying new products. My biggest expense is the trips to the salon which total $70.00 per month.

Ennyaa

I kind of have to agree with you on this one. I spend a lot on my hair... I should probably be ashamed but it's paying off so I don't really complain. I used to spend much more on salons every month though so I'm saving in that area at least. The products I buy are actually pretty cheap, it's the supplements that eat into my pockets.
All that said I still defintely feel like I can afford it. It's not like I'm buyin hair stuff instead of groceries or anything. Now THAT would be nutz.

Kitkat

Re: Can You Really Afford to Take Care of Your Hai

You guys are SOOOO right. I've spent a lot of money on stuff that didn't work for me at all - Nexxus Humectress, Redken Climatress shampoo, All Soft Shampoo and Heavy Cream conditioner. These were pretty expensive mistakes to make. The key really is to find what works and stick with it, though it's so tempting to try something new. The only new thing that I'm dying to try is the Mizani Moisturefuse that BrownRelaxedHair and others rave about - it packs cones which I love. I guess that the only way to find out what works is through trial and error.

Dandy112

Re: Can You Really Afford to Take Care of Your Hai

I would have to agree with everyone as well but I am still in my trial and error phase getting the right product that works for my hair, not to mention I have become the worst pj ever..lol but I would rather purchase my products, go through the trial and error, and be comfortable at home doing my hair than sitting in a salon for 3 or more hours waiting to get my hair done. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Valerie

I found Wanakee products very good, but I couldn't afford to keep them up, the postage alone, plus the products, I had them shipped to the UK, anyway, I particularly loved her hair moisturiser, the spray one, which was great. I am so glad, I have made my own, which is a lot cheaper and just as effective. I try to sick to products which are easily available. I myself was a projuct junkie, it was so bad, it was a hairdressing shops and I tried the recovery process by throwing away many of them, just stick to the basis, castor oil, wild growth oil, aloe vera gel, IC styling gel, shea butter, glycerine, rosewater, Infusium 23 and Redken Anti-snap, and just two other products. Others I like such as JF Lazaritgue are good very good, but you have to take out a mortgage.

Country gal

Before I buy a new product, I always try to get feedback from the board. I also try to use up the products I already have before buying new products. I want to buy new setting lotion but I won't buy anymore until I use up my Lotta body and Barry Flecther setting lotion. I am saving money because I now wet set my own hair instead of going to the salon. My hair is great condition now that I invest TLC and time into my hair.