My ends get "stuck" together in the shower

crazydaze911

Ok - so thanks to you gals on the board, i've started to detangle my hair in the shower, but i had this same problem on dry hair in the past too.

I am transitioning so i want to get conditioner in at my roots, so that they can be soft :grin:. Well, no matter how much conditioner i SLATER on the rest of my hair beforehand, when i go to part my hair [for example] from ear to ear or down the middle to put conditioner at the roots, my ends get "stuck" together and i feel like it is doing soooooooooooo much damage for me to pull them apart.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Does this mean i'm using too much protein?
Does it mean i have to even out my ends? :ohwell:

BTW - i tried silicon mix for more slip on the ends and i had a lot of little broken pieces of hair, so i wont be trying that again.

lana

Ok - so thanks to you gals on the board, i've started to detangle my hair in the shower, but i had this same problem on dry hair in the past too.

I am transitioning so i want to get conditioner in at my roots, so that they can be soft :grin:. Well, no matter how much conditioner i SLATER on the rest of my hair beforehand, when i go to part my hair [for example] from ear to ear or down the middle to put conditioner at the roots, my ends get "stuck" together and i feel like it is doing soooooooooooo much damage for me to pull them apart.

BTW - i tried silicon mix for more slip on the ends and i had a lot of little broken pieces of hair, so i wont be trying that again.

I take it that you're transitioning to "natural" from relaxed hair? Well I was natural for years, so the only thing I can suggest is that you make sure and detangle your hair before you shower. Also consider doing a pre-poo conditioner on dry hair and then shampoo with a detangling moisturizing shampoo like Keracare or Creme of Nature. Then rinse thoroughly, apply your moisturizing conditioner like Keracare Humecto and then use a comb like the Jilbere Shower Comb ($3.99 at Sally's) to detangle further. Rinse and repeat conditioning if needed.

I hope this helps. I was able to manage natural hair successfully by doing this routine...oh and using Straightening Shampoo/Conditioner Combos like Redken Smooth Down or Paul Mitchell Silky Straight. Those made a HUGE difference in the management of my hair.

If your ends are dry, or frizzy and even the Maxiglide can't straighten them out...then you may need a trim. If your ends are split, I would suggest a trim.

crazydaze911

Thanks lana...

i do prepoo on dry hair - sorry, i left that out.
But in any case, you think its safe to detangle dry while transitioning? even then, won't i have to part my hair to detangle? Its in the parting that i have a problem (wet and dry).

i'm not big on sulfates, so i dont think the shampoos i use are necessarily conditioning (i use things like GPB and Aveda or Dr. Woods). maybe thats the problem.......

crazydaze911

do you have split ends???

i dont know - lol
when i look at my hair, i dont see many splits (i'm OBSESSED with s&d) but my last official trim was about 6 months ago - so maybe.
I have some individual extensions in, so i cant trim right now (countdown estimate in my signature).
However, i know the hair that gets stuck is my real hair ends to my real hair ends and not the extensions b/c the extension hair is longer, and i had this problem before the extensions.
I guess i will trim when i take them out and see if that helps. Thanks!

If you have any more suggestions of what to do in the meantime, let me know. Thanks again

lana

I think you definitely need to try detangling during your pre-poo. So this means putting conditioner on dry hair, detangle, rinse, shampoo, rinse, squeeze dry, condition and then rinse again.

I would also just check the ends of your hair for splits. If you don't see any that's great. It really sounds like a "moisture" problem to me, you basically need good "slip" so that you can detangle without breakage. :yep:

crazydaze911

Is your hair well detangled b4 trying to part?

i dont know how to detangle hair without parting....
i used to just rake a brush through the whole thing - roots to end, but now since my hair is thick and i want to be gentle, i have to part first.
Maybe i should go back to detangling with detangler on dry hair instead of jumping on this 'detangle in the shower' bandwagon :perplexed

I think i will try to trim later and maybe switch up condioners - any suggestions BESIDES silicon mix?

crazydaze911

I think you definitely need to try detangling during your pre-poo. So this means putting conditioner on dry hair, detangle, rinse, shampoo, rinse, squeeze dry, condition and then rinse again.

I would also just check the ends of your hair for splits. If you don't see any that's great. It really sounds like a "moisture" problem to me, you basically need good "slip" so that you can detangle without breakage. :yep:

hey lana...
Any condioner suggestions besides silicon mix? currenly i use giovanni magnetic or natures smthg (forgot name) mixed with oils (i try to keep it more natural, but i do use some styling products with unpronounceable ingredients from time to time :grin:).

TIA

LynnieB

my hair used to stick together like that too so i basically stopped trying to do the detangling in the shower thing.

my ends weren't split or damaged it was just the 2 textures. natural hair detangles one way, relaxed hair another.

what worked was starting the detangling process outside the shower first (dampen the hair or carefully work through small sections) then again afterwards with hair that had most of the water out of it.

try one of those microfiber towels to get most of the water out without retangling. your ends should be a little easier to get through that way.

crazydaze911

my hair used to stick together like that too so i basically stopped trying to do the detangling in the shower thing.

my ends weren't split or damaged it was just the 2 textures. natural hair detangles one way, relaxed hair another.

what worked was starting the detangling process outside the shower first (dampen the hair or carefully work through small sections) then again afterwards with hair that had most of the water out of it.

try one of those microfiber towels to get most of the water out without retangling. your ends should be a little easier to get through that way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you LynnieB, i thought i was really the only weird one :grin:

kiesha8185

This same exact thing happened to me when I took out my twists. My hair would actually "dred up" in the crown and my hair would tangle in the ends. I'm not transitioning, but I haven't relaxed since May, so it's a jungle in there :ohwell:

I gently detangle my hair as well as I can, and put my hair in about eight loose braids. If your hair is short, secure the ends with cut up panty hose (it's more gentle on the hair than rubber bands or scrunchies). I pre-poo dry dirty hair with oil, completely saturating my ends with the oil to offer more slip and less friction.

Then I did a protein treatment, this is the only thing that reduced the tangles. It really reduced it by like 95%. I know I need to trim my ends for it to stop completely stop though, cuz my hair never used to do this. HTH!

schipperchow1

I experienced that last year when I was 10months into my transition...I think it was a combo of shed hairs & different textures. what worked for me, was separating my hair into 4 sections before shampooing. Doing 1 section, clip back up, then the next as described on another site. I also did more co washes than shampoo washes. I did a mini trim & that really seemed to ease up the matting/sticking together of the ends. I had stopped using cone products too & went back to them at that time & that helped a lot as well. HTH!