roots lighter than the ends

tinyt10

I've been a lurker here for a few years, but this is my first actual post on LHCF. I dyed my hair last night with creme of nature permanent color, and the roots came out waaaay lighter than the ends. The color was supposed to be bronze copper, but on my hair it came out a reddish brown on the roots and a really dark brown on the ends. Will my ends lighten up over time or am I stuck with two tone hair?

Anne26

panda
The ends will fade but isn't certain that it will match the roots. Your ends came out darker because they are more porous than the roots. People use a protein filler to avoid this, but I've never done it myself.

outspokenwallflower

Because roots are at the scalp, the heat from your head will make the color process faster on the roots...you have what colorists call "hot roots". You can try toning them down in a toner or semi permanent, or allow the length to gradually fade to the color of your roots.

tinyt10

thanks for your help ladies. Would it be possible for me to redye just the ends in a few weeks in an attempt to lighten them?

tinyt10

this is what my hair looks like today.
no flash

with flash

i'm sorry they are so big, I have no idea how to resize them.

hothair

You're better off colouring the roots to match the ends you can use a rinse. Its difficult to correct this without damage, did you use a rinse previously on your ends?

kupenda

I'm sorry, I know nothing of hair dye. BUT! Those curls are to die for! So pretty chica!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Anne26

panda
Because roots are at the scalp, the heat from your head will make the color process faster on the roots...you have what colorists call "hot roots". You can try toning them down in a toner or semi permanent, or allow the length to gradually fade to the color of your roots.

That's only for bleach. We can start applying color on the roots, if the color turns out different (like OP's case) it's either because there was already a darker color on the ends/length or the ends were so porous that they "suck" the dye too much.

OP: My hair looked the same as yours when I put a lighter dye on top of a medium brown (and virgin roots).

You could try to lighten with honey and water mix, that always lifted some color for me (not so much virgin hair though) and then finish it off with another dye to blend (perhaps a light brown).

Like someone said you could dye the roots darker, but they can fade, you'd have to keep adding color always (perhaps henndigo so it doesn't damage).

You could also wait a little to fade and see if highlights wouldn't help to blend it better (tone everything after). Sulfates help a lot with fading.