• Nope, Never

Votes: 16 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lana

I just remember it this way:

Lye Relaxer (No Mix Relaxer) is easier on the hair, can be harsh on the scalp
No Lye Relaxer is harder on the hair and can be better for the scalp

Because of this rule...I use Mizani LYE (no mix) relaxer and I have great Texlaxing results.

NEVER EVER apply a relaxer to the hair if your scalp has been scratched, damaged or if you have any abrasians. Just baby the scalp and hair and WAIT until everything is healthy. I always base my scalp the night before and then self texlax that next morning. I hope this helps someone. Oh and I always always coat the already texlaxed hair with conditioner or serum to protect it from relaxer run-off.

Ashleescheveux

Has anyone used Haiwaain Silky no base relaxer regular) before? I just bought a jar since I was looking for a lye relaxer.

shunemite

I feel that my issue is mainly basing my scalp in the right way.
This I agree with. It takes me quite a while to base my scalp before a relaxer and I make small sections. I use Mizani mild lye (not butter blends). At one point I did switch to Affirm no-lye and I liked it until I compared photos of my hair before and after the Affirm, and switched back to Mizani. I just base my scalp really well. I even base my ears, forehead, and neck.

But if you burn you burn and it's not worth it :nono: for scalp burns. I see very pretty hair all the time for people who use no-lye. I just didn't like the way my own hair looked with it. If I hadn't found the solution I had with good basing though, I would have just stayed with no-lye.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I like motions hair relaxer, but it only works well (i.e. not underprocessed) when my sister in law who is a beautician applies it.

If I try to self apply...I get burns on my scalp with underprocessed hair. Not a good look at all.

I just relaxed my hair after being natural for about 5 months. I use the ORS no-lye. My hair like the first application on virgin hair ( it was straight), but the touch up didn't go well. The residue of the perm during rinsing made my hair feel like stray. I'm going to do some massive deep conditioning treatments to counteract the drying.

I'm currently battling with transitioning and pressing the new growth or using a lye based relaxer from now on. If I go the lye route, I will try ORS lye perm.

I'm trying to chose the lesser of two evils: Press vs. Perm ( maybe I'll start a new thread on it.)

They have a thread called heat training. It's using heat vs relaxer thread:yep:.

koolkittychick

I used Optimum no lye for years with pretty good results until I made the mistake of dyeing my hair honey blonde (from dark dark brown). :ohwell: Then I was natural for a few years before I went to the salon and got a relaxer using Paul Mitchell relaxer. Left my hair shiny, silky, and bone straight.

In the 19 months since I've been getting it done, my hair has grown maybe 4-5 inches, and it's the longest it's ever been (I honestly didn't know I could grow hair this long).

It's not cheap (you can only get it in salons that provide the service), but it's well worth it to me. By stretching every 3 to 4 months, it works out the same for me to buying and using a less effective relaxer every 6 weeks.

HauteHippie

When I was relaxed straight my stylist used Mizani. I think it was sensitive. She left it on for only a fw minutes and I never burned or scabbed (a miracle!) b/c it didn't get on my scalp.

I got my first texlax about 2 weeks ago and the stylist (Juanita, thank you LHCF) used Salerm. Maybe called Salerm 21. So far, so good. Only a teeny amount of strands are straight, but all strands look shiny and healthy.

ETA: I used to be a burner b/c I sweat a lot and I can't stop scratching my head no matter what. I just can't! I have fine to medium strands and a sensitive scalp. Neither of the above relaxers burned at all. Straight or not, I can't/won't handle the burning.
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2