Can a no lye actually straighten?

• Yes, if you find the right one

Votes: 150 90.4%
  • Nope, Never

Votes: 16 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InnerSoul

I voted yes, if u find the right one.....Since I recently relaxed with ORS no-lye (regular) and it left my hair alot straighter than I wanted (I don't do bone straight b/c it's not healthy for my hair)..luckily I rinsed it out when I did other wise it would have been too straight!

I experienced no burning at all! I had a mild tingle on the side of my head but that is where I probably rubbed it too much and didn't rinse it out as quickly as I should have in the shower.. but it never burned and I didn't have any scabs:)

Last edited:

Misseyl

sareca said:
Phyto II will straighten hair, but you got use it "generously" as directed. :yep:

ETA: And Phyto doesn't even tingle much less burn.

I concur. I've used Fiberguard, Revelon, Motions, Dark and Lovely and they've all burned my scalp. I'm self-relaxed and I've been using Phytorelaxer since 2005 and I've never experienced any burns -- no sticking to my scalp hair after a touchup -- nothing. IMO, it's one of the best relaxers out there and I'll never use anything else. I believe it's no-lye.. It's pricy but my hair is worth it.:) ..

angeleyes

I use Lusters Designer Touch no-lye relaxer, and my hair is perfectly straightened every time without scalp burns!!:lol:

malibu4590

angeleyes said:
I use Lusters Designer Touch no-lye relaxer, and my hair is perfectly straightened every time without scalp burns!!:lol:

Hey Angeleyes....^5! I use the same relaxer except its the sensitive scalp formula. I've been using it for at least 5 years with great results. It does burn however if I've scratched a certain area and I never base my scalp. Maybe I should :look:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Yes, no lye relaxers can straighten. No lye is all I've ever used. Two great ones are the Dr. Miracle's relaxer and Optimum Care Bodifying Relaxer.

bellesocialite

pistachio said:
I use African Pride and it geets it REAL straight:)
I second this. I've been using African Pride for years now and I swear by it. I've only experienced burns from it once before.

MzRhonda

I really want to try ORS since reading the many reviews here but I am using Motions lye now and was unable to find ORS lye at my local Sallys today would it be o.k. to use the no-lye since I have been using lye for 2+years?

Thanks.

caribeandiva

Human being
Henrietta said:
My hair is very fine and very soft and my scalp is probably the most sensitive in the world. After being burnt and over processed, relaxer after relaxer, i settled with beautiful beginnings for children (fine). It always straightened my hair with minimal burning.

Right. I got a question for you girls...
Has n e one used motions oil moisturiser relaxer mild? What was your experience with it?
I got this for my hair but am now scurred to use it cos i dont wanna get burned

it always leaves me, my mom and sister underprocessed. i used it 3 times before i gave up.

Shinka

I like motions hair relaxer, but it only works well (i.e. not underprocessed) when my sister in law who is a beautician applies it.

If I try to self apply...I get burns on my scalp with underprocessed hair. Not a good look at all.

I just relaxed my hair after being natural for about 5 months. I use the ORS no-lye. My hair like the first application on virgin hair ( it was straight), but the touch up didn't go well. The residue of the perm during rinsing made my hair feel like stray. I'm going to do some massive deep conditioning treatments to counteract the drying.

I'm currently battling with transitioning and pressing the new growth or using a lye based relaxer from now on. If I go the lye route, I will try ORS lye perm.

I'm trying to chose the lesser of two evils: Press vs. Perm ( maybe I'll start a new thread on it.)

Everything Zen

Hey All, This morning when I went to unwrap my hair to my discovery I found 2 "perm burns" on two different areas of my scalp, even though I based almost too good. Needless to say i am done with Bantu. I don't like the feeling of them plus on those sections my hair is stuck to my scalp.:(

I need your advice. Should I continue using LYE relaxers or should I just find a good no lye relaxer? My problem is I like my hair STRAIGHT almost bone straight and I have found no other relaxers besides lye relaxers that do so. I really want to stick with lye.

If someone can give me some recs on relaxers that get the hair actually straight with no burning I would be appreciated. I tried the texlaxed route and I am not going there no more. Too much fuss

Girl Bantu was my first relaxer back in 2000. It was horrible. It was like my scalp had been raped. :eek: STEP AWAY FROM THE BANTU

A few other things to consider:

1.) Of course I am going to assume that you do not scratch or touch your scalp at least 24 hours prior to relaxing. I don't even care if you have an itch. Literally smack the itch with your palm so as not to disturb your scalp. My problem was that I also had very bad dandruff and so I'd be picking at it. Not good!

2.) Try to base your scalp overnight prior to getting a perm. I'm trying this on Thursday night because I'm due for my next touch up on Friday.

3.) Do you take a shower in the morning prior to relaxing, going to the salon? (I was unsure as to if you were a self-relxaer or not) because ANYTHING that causes your pores to be open can cause burn. I might take a shower mid afternoon prior to the day I go to get my next touch up. Once I burned just because it was cold outside and I wore a hat (so I guess I sweated a little)

ALSO: beware of wrapping your hair, shower caps, headbands, ANYTHING that might cause an irritation to your hair line for several days before you get a touch up. :yep:

HTH

Last edited:

Peace in Prose

a LITTLE OT, BUT... has anyone tried to base their hair with the neutralizing shampoo provided. I do this and run it through my already relaxed hair, let it dry then coat again. I got terrific results and no burns.

issidoll

• I relaxed my hair last Sunday after a 6 month stretch. I used phyto specifc relaxer II for the first time. There were no burns, irration and my hair is so soft, moistured and I'm so happy. It is expensive but I'm impressed. My hair is in love.:cloud9::infatuated::infatuated::infatuated:

ShiShiPooPoo

Hey All, This morning when I went to unwrap my hair to my discovery I found 2 "perm burns" on two different areas of my scalp, even though I based almost too good. Needless to say i am done with Bantu. I don't like the feeling of them plus on those sections my hair is stuck to my scalp.:(

I need your advice. Should I continue using LYE relaxers or should I just find a good no lye relaxer? My problem is I like my hair STRAIGHT almost bone straight and I have found no other relaxers besides lye relaxers that do so. I really want to stick with lye.

If someone can give me some recs on relaxers that get the hair actually straight with no burning I would be appreciated. I tried the texlaxed route and I am not going there no more. Too much fuss

My stylist uses Syntonics. Bone straight/no burn. I love it.

Misseyl

• I relaxed my hair last Sunday after a 6 month stretch. I used phyto specifc relaxer II for the first time. There were no burns, irration and my hair is so soft, moistured and I'm so happy. It is expensive but I'm impressed. My hair is in love.:cloud9::infatuated::infatuated::infatuated:
IMO you can't go wrong with Phyto in that respect.. I too usually get burned, scabs with other relaxers but after self-relaxing w/Phyto I haven't experienced any burning whatsoever. Phyto is a keeper and I know it's expensive but it's worth the price for not getting any burns

ajoyfuljoy

My next relaxer will be with Silk Elements. I've heard too many things about it. I'm coming for that sensitive scalp box!

Sarahdais

When I was in my late teens my aunt used Bantu on my hair. It was the worst perming experience of my life. I will never touch Bantu again.

I have used Gentle Treatment, Hawaiin Silky, TCB and some others but right now I'm using ORS and I like it. I'm going to try Phyto next though.

LiLi

Here are a few things that prevent excessive burning:

No carbonated drinks at least two weeks before relaxing.
No acidic drinks at least two weeks before relaxing.
Drink a lot of water.
Relax one week after your menstrual cycle.
Of course, basing with some type of protectant before relaxing. I always make sure to do it right before I relax. I noticed if I do it several hours before relaxing, I burn a little more.
Do the relaxer in a cool room. If you relax and you are sweating, you will definitely burn like crazy.

Doing this and using a lye relaxer, I only feel burning when it time to rinse it out and I do not have burns on my head. If I don't follow this, I get burning within five minutes of applying the relaxer and end up with burns.

Valarie1

ORS Olive Oil is my new best friend! I've been self relaxing for years and always suffered burns no matter how well I based.
With ORS....no base and no burns and perfect results. My hair loves it!!

tasty0619

Bantu used to burn the heck outta my scalp!!! I relaxed for the first time with silk elements Lye mild-it came out under processed in the back, but my edges were bangin :lol: so this time im usin reg...i'll see how it works

GodsGrace

I just used Affirm for sensitive scalp, and no burns! I was so happy. I remember using it about 5 years ago, and it didn't burn me then either. It definitely gets your hair straight, and if you want you can leave it on for less so you'll have a bit more body, which is what I did, but my hair is so soft and shiny, luvs it!

MuslimahTresses

Hawiian Silky no lye no mix relaxer is the best one I've tried so far besides ORS that straightens and dosn't burn, unless i leave it in too long.

LivingDoll

Okay...I texlaexed with Silk Elements Lye Mild last night and still got scalp burns! I based and everything...I didn't comb it through either. I just smoothed it with my fingers and the whole app took about 6-7 minutes...

I don't think there's anything that doesn't cause burning if you have abrasions on your scalp...I've been scratching fiercely all week so I'm not surprised that I got some burns.

^^muslimah...I just switched from Hawaiian Silky No Base Mild...I've gotten sores from that one too.

oh and BTW, Bantu is known for being a very strong relaxer brand...be careful for the ladies that use it. It took the skin off one of my friend's fingers!

Last edited:

Misseyl

Okay...I texlaexed with Silk Elements Lye Mild last night and still got scalp burns! I based and everything...I didn't comb it through either. I just smoothed it with my fingers and the whole app took about 6-7 minutes...

I don't think there's anything that doesn't cause burning if you have abrasions on your scalp...I've been scratching fiercely all week so I'm not surprised that I got some burns.

^^muslimah...I just switched from Hawaiian Silky No Base Mild...I've gotten sores from that one too.

oh and BTW, Bantu is known for being a very strong relaxer brand...be careful for the ladies that use it. It took the skin off one of my friend's fingers!

That's why I use Phytorelaxer... I've been using it for 5 years and I haven't gotton any burns.. Before phyto, I use to get burns all the time but since phyto, and mind you, I relax my hair myself, I've yet to get any burns. That's why I've promised myself, no matter how bad it gets, I'll always buy phyto..

blackpearl81

I've actually been using Optimum No-lye regular for years and it has always gotten my hair bone straight. But since reading so much about the benefits of lye relaxer, I've realized that no-lye is likey the reason my hair has become limp and lifeless :nono:. I had a lye relaxer in college and I'm definitely going to switch back.