Can a no lye actually straighten?

• Yes, if you find the right one

Votes: 150 90.4%
  • Nope, Never

Votes: 16 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MizaniMami

Hey All, This morning when I went to unwrap my hair to my discovery I found 2 "perm burns" on two different areas of my scalp, even though I based almost too good. Needless to say i am done with Bantu. I don't like the feeling of them plus on those sections my hair is stuck to my scalp.:(

I need your advice. Should I continue using LYE relaxers or should I just find a good no lye relaxer? My problem is I like my hair STRAIGHT almost bone straight and I have found no other relaxers besides lye relaxers that do so. I really want to stick with lye.

If someone can give me some recs on relaxers that get the hair actually straight with no burning I would be appreciated. I tried the texlaxed route and I am not going there no more. Too much fuss

ms.gafeney

i had the same experience with the bantu relaxer. it is very harsh :( but the best lye relaxer i ever had was affirm fibergaurd. it left my hair so silky and soft and it wasn't bone straight ,my hair had body afterwards

secretdiamond

I would like to know this too. I went back to no-lye for the same reasons and I don't want to do it again. :nono: I'm on a quest to find the right lye relaxer that will get me straight and not burn my entire scalp off.

HoneyDew

TCB Naturals No-Lye (NOT the value sized one) is very good at getting hair straight. It has a higher pH level according to the thread that was started about it a while back.

On my to-test list are Lady Velvet Lye and Silk Elements Lye.

I think the No-Lye is drying my hair out.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I sometimes get scalp burns, but not many. I feel that my issue is mainly basing my scalp in the right way. I try not to put toooo much base on my scalp because I don't want it to cover any of my newgrowth, therefore leading me to be underprocessed. I use Silk Elements Lye Relaxer in Regular, and I do like it. To be honest, I've always thought that a relaxer was just that...a relaxer, and that one was no different from the other, but from reading posts about you guys' experiences, I guess all relaxers are different. My hair always comes out straight, no matter what relaxer I use (but of course it kinda waves up when it's wet; I think the majority of our hair does that anyway). All of that 80% relaxed talk just gets confusing. When I relax, I relax. I don't do anything halfway. The relaxer I'm currently using does its job, and I do my best to make the process as safe as possible for my hair and scalp.

filthyfresh

I've used lye and no-lye. Honestly, lye works better for my hair. But that's just me. Affirm is good for me as well. Also Vitale High Comfort worked well for me. It got my hair straight, but it was that stick straight, my hair had body and my scalp didn't burn too badly.

KhandiB

Im gonna try that Silk Elements Lye for Coarse and Resistant Hair

Ill let you know how that goes..

queenspence

Depending on how your scalp is based and treated (no manipulation, washing, etc) you can get scalp burns from no lye as well. I experienced this last nite.

caribeandiva

Human being
i just tried Bantu last week and fell in love! i used the super for coarse hair and based my scalp really well. i left for the recommended time and no more. my hair came out straight with no burns even though i was scratching it like crazy before.

mango387

queenspence said:
Depending on how your scalp is based and treated (no manipulation, washing, etc) you can get scalp burns from no lye as well. I experienced this last nite.

You are so super duper right:lol:. The only thing that prevents me from burning is washing a few days (more than 3 but less than 7) before and oiling my scalp (depending on what it needs) to make scalp itchies less likely. Queenspence, however, no-lyes will burn just as much as a lye if you are not careful.

To answer the question, no-lyes can straighten. Soft and Beautiful relaxers (pink and red boxes) are pretty good. The only thing that is making me think of switching from that brand is that I am attracted to natural ingredients such as olive oil as found in ORS or shea butter/avocado oil/jojoba oil as found in Silk Elements.

Last edited:

MzOptimistic

mango387 said:
You are so super duper right:lol:. The only thing that prevents me from burning is washing a few days (more than 3 but less than 7) before and oiling my scalp (depending on what it needs) to make scalp itchies less likely. Queenspence, however, no-lyes will burn just as much as a lye if you are not careful.

To answer the question, no-lyes can straighten. Soft and Beautiful relaxers (pink and red boxes) are pretty good. The only thing that is making me think of switching from that brand is that I am attracted to natural ingredients such as olive oil as found in ORS or shea butter/avocado oil/jojoba oil as found in Silk Elements.

That's what I use and have been using for two years and it gets my hair straight..:) Good relaxer..Good relaxer...

Ladyhenri

My hair is very fine and very soft and my scalp is probably the most sensitive in the world. After being burnt and over processed, relaxer after relaxer, i settled with beautiful beginnings for children (fine). It always straightened my hair with minimal burning.

Right. I got a question for you girls...
Has n e one used motions oil moisturiser relaxer mild? What was your experience with it?
I got this for my hair but am now scurred to use it cos i dont wanna get burned

KhandiB

Anytime Ive ever used Motions I was underprocessed, I never had a good experience with it...

It is probably the least liked relaxer on this board..

BUT... You should try it and see how it works for you :)

Henrietta said:
My hair is very fine and very soft and my scalp is probably the most sensitive in the world. After being burnt and over processed, relaxer after relaxer, i settled with beautiful beginnings for children (fine). It always straightened my hair with minimal burning.

Right. I got a question for you girls...
Has n e one used motions oil moisturiser relaxer mild? What was your experience with it?
I got this for my hair but am now scurred to use it cos i dont wanna get burned

I've been researching the fiberguard- did you do it yourself???

ms.gafeney said:
i had the same experience with the bantu relaxer. it is very harsh :( but the best lye relaxer i ever had was affirm fibergaurd. it left my hair so silky and soft and it wasn't bone straight ,my hair had body afterwards

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I know you are already familiar with my beloved Mizani so I'm not gonna suggest that. But I am curious when you based your scalp and what you used.

I was warned that Mizani may burn my delicate, sensitive scalp so I was given some very good advice that I will share. I base my scalp with OptiCalm Pre-relaxer Protector with evoo mixed in the night before I get a touch up. The morning of my touch up I go back over the areas I feel are more sensitive and then wear a hairstyle that requires no manipulation. ( I wear my hair out with a headband.) I have been doing this since I started with Mizani earlier this year and I have not burned.

Another tidbit I found out. If your scalp sweats right before or the day of your touch up you should sit under a COOL not hot dryer for at least 5 mins. You are sure to burn if you have been sweating. Not sure if any of these apply to you and why you got a burn but I thought I would share.

HTH

Ladyhenri

KhandiB said:
Anytime Ive ever used Motions I was underprocessed, I never had a good experience with it...

It is probably the least liked relaxer on this board..

BUT... You should try it and see how it works for you :)

I guess i dont usually worry about underprocessing because when i put any relaxer on my silly hair, it goes BONE straight. its really fine....As for my scalp, the scalp burns i get are unbelievable

Do you have sensitive scalp? Did it (Motions) Burn? Is it Lye? Sorry to ask too many Q's.:look:

peacelove

My stylist switched me to Elucence lye and my last perm I was scratching so much she used Elucence sensitive scalp on me, which is no lye. My hair actually felt a bit straighter with the no lye. So I absolutely think you can find ones that straighten. In fact, I have seen some on this board say the they cannot get straight with LYE. My thing with no lye is the drying effects. It is the one reason I will not commit to no lye.

MizaniMami said:
Hey All, This morning when I went to unwrap my hair to my discovery I found 2 "perm burns" on two different areas of my scalp, even though I based almost too good. Needless to say i am done with Bantu. I don't like the feeling of them plus on those sections my hair is stuck to my scalp.:(

I need your advice. Should I continue using LYE relaxers or should I just find a good no lye relaxer? My problem is I like my hair STRAIGHT almost bone straight and I have found no other relaxers besides lye relaxers that do so. I really want to stick with lye.

If someone can give me some recs on relaxers that get the hair actually straight with no burning I would be appreciated. I tried the texlaxed route and I am not going there no more. Too much fuss

Last edited:

Aveena

secretdiamond said:
I would like to know this too. I went back to no-lye for the same reasons and I don't want to do it again. :nono: I'm on a quest to find the right lye relaxer that will get me straight and not burn my entire scalp off.

I think I agree. I like lye.. you just have to find the right one.

Aveena

peacelove said:
My stylist switched me to Elucence lye and my last perm I was scratching so much she used Elucence sensitive scalp on me, which is no lye. My hair actually felt a bit straighter with the no lye. So I absolutely think you can find ones that straighten. In fact, I have seen some on this board say the they cannot get straight with LYE. My thing with no lye is the drying effects. It is the one reason I will not commit to no lye.

I can't remember where... but I heard that no lye is more drying than lye.

Renaylor

I don't self relax but my stylist used Motions and even though I had my scalp thoroughly based I would burn. Prior to this I used Mizani and I never burned. Unfortunately for me I have a tendency toward an itchy scalp and eczema on my nape hairline which is super sensitive so I have a tendency to burn anyway. I have to try any method imaginable to stop the scratching prior to the relaxer touch ups. However Motions was the worst. I have now switched to Affirm w/Fiberguard Mild and I am loving it. My hair is soft,moves well, is shiny, and has lots of body(I am texlaxed anyway). I find that if my scalp is super sensitive it burns less.

gorgeoushair

MizaniMami
Have you tried Silk Elements? I haven't tried it personally but it was on my to buy list until I tried Vitale Concorde. I love how straight my hair gets with this relaxer.

SweetCaramel1

Henrietta said:
I guess i dont usually worry about underprocessing because when i put any relaxer on my silly hair, it goes BONE straight. its really fine....As for my scalp, the scalp burns i get areit unbelievable

Do you have sensitive scalp? Did it (Motions) Burn? Is it Lye? Sorry to ask too many Q's.:look:

the motions i use says no base and IT SUCKS! at getting my hair straight. i'm sure it's the reason i'm itching for a relaxer. my hair will stay straight for the first two washes, after that it draws back up. it's hard to tell where my actual new growth is.
this stuff it too thick. i'm switching soon. i just may breakdown and relax sooner :perplexed

Last edited:

seemegrow

ms.gafeney said:

ITA. I really like this relaxer.

comike

MizaniMami said:

I used to experience the same thing before I started using Affirm Gentle Assurance Sensitive Scalp Protector (I don't use the Affirm relaxer). It's applied before relaxing. Since using this product I haven't had any chemical burns from a lye relaxer.

Last edited:
I had the same bad experience with Bantu, it tore my scalp up. I wrapped my hair after my relaxer and when it dried it was all stuck to my scalp....OUCH......the best relaxer in my opinion is Affirm Fiberguard. My hair gets straight and I don't have to leave it on for long. I love the results

sareca

Phyto II will straighten hair, but you got use it "generously" as directed. :yep:

ETA: And Phyto doesn't even tingle much less burn.

Last edited: