MHM Hangout

faithVA

I'm clarifying using the ACV option and will use Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter for step 5 instead of gel this week.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

This sounds good. You may want to skip the clay this week to give your hair a break.

faithVA

This is the best thing I ever read! It's like the light bulb went on in my head. The first day of the MHM I did the Cherry Lola treatment and my hair felt like nothing I ever experienced before. :yep: Thereafter I used ACV for my Clarifying step. I will try Baking soda tonight and see if I notice a difference. My hair just might love the BS.

Stay light on the baking soda. Use 2 to 3 tsps with 2 oz of conditioner and 4 to 6 oz of water. Too much baking soda can cause issues.

Smiley79

^^Yes, thanks girlie, I saw the recipe to go easy on the BS and add the Olive oil, honey, conditioner and water. I'm going to try it and compare to the ACV and see which one goes better with my hair. :)

faithVA

^^Yes, thanks girlie, I saw the recipe to go easy on the BS and add the Olive oil, honey, conditioner and water. I'm going to try it and compare to the ACV and see which one goes better with my hair. :)

I wouldn't do the oil and honey if you are doing the conditioner. I would keep it simple, conditioner, bs and water. There is a recipe that calls for honey if you aren't doing the conditioner. I don't think a lot of people had success with it.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I think the main issue is finding out why your hair is parched. I think you need to drop the mud step for now and do a gentle cleanser for step 1 and get your hair back to what you think it should feel like. You won't be able to troubleshoot the method until then.

If you don't want to do that, then just cowash for a bit. But don't mix the two methods for now.

And as someone else said you may need a different conditioner for step 2. Does your hair feel soft and hydrated after the conditioner?

The days I cw, m&s my hair look and feel better. I'm steaming in my step 2 now and will skip the mud until next week. I think I'll use a different leave in as well, I don't know if the KCKT is moisturizing enough. I hope I have moisturizer with no proteins in it.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Oh and my hair never felt ultra moisturized...I don't think. I may be comparing it to how my relaxed or texlaxed hair felt after I used a great DC.

faithVA

Oh and my hair never felt ultra moisturized...I don't think. I may be comparing it to how my relaxed or texlaxed hair felt after I used a great DC.

I think your expectations for the first week may have been swayed by various people on the board who are not low porosity. I think a lot of normal and high porosity ladies have results that low porosity hair doesn't always have initially. And those that have great results typically are more vocal than those that have more average results.

Clay can have a detoxing affect the first 7 to 10 days. I don't think you are going to get the results you are looking for in such a short time.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I think your expectations for the first week may have been swayed by various people on the board who are not low porosity. I think a lot of normal and high porosity ladies have results that low porosity hair doesn't always have initially. And those that have great results typically are more vocal than those that have more average results.

Clay can have a detoxing affect the first 7 to 10 days. I don't think you are going to get the results you are looking for in such a short time.

Yes, maybe you're right. I've used the clay at least 7 times already so I'll see what happens after st least another 7 repetitions.

Smiley79

After taking 2 days off (and going back in forth in my head about stopping the MHM), I'm going to proceed to Day 4 this evening and see how it goes. As silly as it may sound, Im keeping a little log of what I do and use each day so I can zero in on what my hair is responding well to vs what is not working for my hair.

faithVA

After taking 2 days off (and going back in forth in my head about stopping the MHM), I'm going to proceed to Day 4 this evening and see how it goes. As silly as it may sound, Im keeping a little log of what I do and use each day so I can zero in on what my hair is responding well to vs what is not working for my hair.

I think tracking things is a good idea.

Subscribe

Hey y'all :hiya:

I've been in and out of this thread trying to follow the MHM in my head. Quick question, once you complete the 7 day challenge and/or reach MH is it still necessary to do all these steps are can you just do a quick wash and go with the same approved products and have your curls popping?

faithVA

[USER=395359 said:
Subscribe[/USER];20970687]Hey y'all :hiya:

I've been in and out of this thread trying to follow the MHM in my head. Quick question, once you complete the 7 day challenge and/or reach MH is it still necessary to do all these steps are can you just do a quick wash and go with the same approved products and have your curls popping?

Just to clarify, it typically takes most people months before there hair is fully hydrated. The 7 days is just a hydration boost but doesn't get most people to hydrated hair.

Low porosity ladies will probably have to continue the method but probably not as frequently. The regimen is optional for everyone else anyway so they could probably stop when they got the hydration and definition they want and then switch over to something else.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Currently doing the shortened version of mhm, after a week and sum change of straight hair. Yesterday i clarified without DC or clay and my hair was super frizzy. Today I'm doing the full method but just shorter.

Hopefully i don't have any heat damage, but I'll report back once i do the clay step.

Im trying to decide if i want to do a wng or twistout

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I have a few conditioners for step 2. My favorite is Naturelle Grow's Herbal Blends. But I also have Curls Curl Ecstasy, all 3 of the Jessicurl conditioners, Curl Rehab Curl Junkie and probably something else :lol: I primarily use the Curls Ecstasy when I'm cowashing and the NG Herbal Blends when I DC.
OMG, Ihateyou! I just bought 3 new conditioners for my DC, one of them was a Jessicurl. I'm a sucka for a great DC and I'll try anything once...can you tell I'm a PJ? You just sent me over the edge with Naturellegrow Grow. Lawd help me.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
This is the best thing I ever read! It's like the light bulb went on in my head. The first day of the MHM I did the Cherry Lola treatment and my hair felt like nothing I ever experienced before. :yep: Thereafter I used ACV for my Clarifying step. I will try Baking soda tonight and see if I notice a difference. My hair just might love the BS.
My hair loves the BS and it feels good on my scalp, too.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I tried the botanical gelle and i luv it! Unfortunately i used up almost the whole bottle. So i will have to stick to using my flaxseed gel, cause i would be using a bottle per wash. Maybe ill try diluting it.

Also, i tried sumthing different with this wash. Ok, so i clarified for about 1-2mins, DC for about 40min w/ heat and while i was in the shower i rinsed the DC out and then applied my clay, rubbing it in. I probably left the clay on for about 5min and then i rinsed. My hair was soft and moisturized. I usually leave the clay in for a hr. The shea butter that i put in my clay helps soften it up.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150106_201226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150106_201226.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 43
  • ForumRunner_20150106_201331.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150106_201331.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150106_193959.jpg
    20150106_193959.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

faithVA

OMG, Ihateyou! I just bought 3 new conditioners for my DC, one of them was a Jessicurl. I'm a sucka for a great DC and I'll try anything once...can you tell I'm a PJ? You just sent me over the edge with Naturellegrow Grow. Lawd help me.

PJ or not you need to try the NG herbal blends. :lick:

msbettyboop

Day 9 completed. I didn't leave the clay in overnight but only for about 3 hours. The end result was still fine. I used flaxseed gel this time around instead of the KCCC. By the time it was dry, I had big, bouncy and soft hair:yep:. Was walking around feeling like Chaka Khan from the 80s :p.

I've worked out a system for washing every 3 days now. Day 1 - wash and go, day 2 - high puff, day 3 - bun with ends tucked in. I rewet every day with a water and KCKT mix and seal lightly with grapeseed oil. Repeat full regimen at the end of day 3.

Research almost complete for making my own conditioner and gel and already ordered the ingredients. I can't wait to start experimenting. I need to come up with the perfect gel for my part of the world. Something inbetween flaxseed gel and KCCC :lick::lick::lick:.

msbettyboop

Subscribe, I did a wash and go with clay, then Jessicurl then gel but there wasn't any curls. It was just very soft and moisturised so I wore in a bun. But I haven't reached MH yet so that may be why there weren't any curls.

Guinan

Re-Branding

I still do the steps, cause I havent reached MH yet. The only thing that I do different is that I shorten the time for each steps. But I guess you could try it and see what happens. I've done the ACV rinse for about 5mins and the DC in the shower before; however my hair was frizzy. I can do a quick Wng w/o doing the steps; however my hair will be more prone to frizz and it wont last as long.

Last edited:

Smiley79

DAY 4 OF MHM and a few changes

Last night I did:

1- Clarifyed with BS instead of ACV....HIT!!! My hair absolutely loved it and I felt a dramatic difference in how my hair received the conditioner! I mixed my TJ TT conditioner, water and the BS.

2- Cowash/DC- This time I used the Tresemme conditioner (avocado) instead of the KKNT....HIT!!! This conditioner has amazing slip and left my hair feeling butter soft. This time, I took my time and applied the conditioner in smaller sections to really get it in there after that awesome BS clarifier. As much as I don't like it, I slept with the conditioner.

This morning:
3-I rinsed the conditioner out and applied the Bentonite Clay...this time I used a little bit of ACV and mostly water (I didnt get a chance to buy some Aloe Vera juice yet, I want to try that next). I left the BC on for about 15-20 minutes this time and rinsed VERY thoroughly! I felt some nice clumps in my hair as I rinsed. This time, my hair did not feel matted or overly dried. It felt good and is looking a little better.

4- For my leave in step, I decided to use the Tresemme as this time rather than the KKNT....HIT!!! It was like smoothing butter onto my hair. Great choice!

5-I debated using Gel again, but I went ahead and used the KK Custard...I love that stuff although it so expensive, smh.
The only thing I forgot to do was to run a little oil on my hair after the final step...I'll remember next time.

:yep:Overall, I am extremely pleased with the process this time and I feel like I found a system that works for my hair. I was getting a little frustrated the last few days, so I'm glad I gave it one more shot. I also like that I waited a couple days in between this time before doing my next day of the MHM. I think the everyday back to back was too much for my hair.

So a little side note:
Between Day 3 and Day 4, I decided to experiment and cowash/wash&Go with Non-MHM approved products such as my Shea Moisture JBCO conditioner and my Wetline Gel...why did I do that? :nono: EPIC FAIL, straw dry hair, horrible. Basically it was the hair that I was dealing with before I embarked on this method, if not worse. So that satisfied my curiosity and confirmed why my hair constantly struggled with dryness. I wil be sticking to these suggested products for now. I put all my old products in a box and stored them away and simplified my bathroom with the few items that I need.

As I was doing my hair this morning, I got to thinking that having curly hair is not what's important to me, I simply want hair that is healthy and retains moisture. That's it. The rest will fall into place such as length and curl pattern.

Next time, for my Day 5, I want to experiment and see what happens if I do not use Gel...I'm not sure if this is required but I would like to see how my hair handles without it. I do not have hair that really curls up or is defined (or maybe it just hasn't happened yet) but that is not a big deal to me anyways. I would like master doing flat twist outs and rocking puffs and buns instead.

Thank you to you all for sharing advice and suggestions and a very special to faithVA...Girl, I really could not have continued the MHM without you!
I'll keep you all posted and I'll try to post some pics when I have more time. Because it's so early in the game, I do not feel like the pictures show much at this time...the reward is not visible right now. My hair barely sheds, is very easy to detangle, is softer and FINALLY seems more hydrated than before. I can't capture that in a picture, lol. So just take my word for it.

Recap for me:
My hair prefers Baking Soda...but I will alternate the two so I don't overdo the use of either one.
My hair is loving the Tresemme as my Cond/Cowash/DC/Leave-In...ditch the KKNT for now
Keep the Bentonite Clay on for no more than 15 minutes...I cannt get side tracked and leave it for 30 minutes
Section, Section, Section....Keeping the hair sectioned allowed me to penetrate product through it quicker and better and therefore speeded things up for me.
Hair is softer and more hydrated, it's a little bit more defined, but it's still a little frizzy. I'll watch over the next couple days and see how my hair behaves to these few changes.

**If you notice I kept saying "this time" over and over again, it's because today is the first time I noticed a much better outcome from the MHM since doing the Cherry Lola treatment on Day 1; so I really wanted to pinpoint what I was doing differently in comparison to the other days so I can keep track and monitor what is working for my hair.**

Last edited:

Smiley79

faithVA..the PJ in me really wants to try the Naturelle Grow conditoner! I never heard of them before and would love to try that. It sounds so nice and the reviews are buzzing with awesome experiences.

Is anyone NOT using gel for step 5? If so, what are you using instead and how are you liking it?

faithVA

[USER=30911 said:
Smiley79[/USER];20974345]DAY 4 OF MHM and a few changes

Last night I did:

1- Clarifyed with BS instead of ACV....HIT!!! My hair absolutely loved it and I felt a dramatic difference in how my hair received the conditioner! I mixed my TJ TT conditioner, water and the BS.

2- Cowash/DC- This time I used the Tresemme conditioner (avocado) instead of the KKNT....HIT!!! This conditioner has amazing slip and left my hair feeling butter soft. This time, I took my time and applied the conditioner in smaller sections to really get it in there after that awesome BS clarifier. As much as I don't like it, I slept with the conditioner.

This morning:
3-I rinsed the conditioner out and applied the Bentonite Clay...this time I used a little bit of ACV and mostly water (I didnt get a chance to buy some Aloe Vera juice yet, I want to try that next). I left the BC on for about 15-20 minutes this time and rinsed VERY thoroughly! I felt some nice clumps in my hair as I rinsed. This time, my hair did not feel matted or overly dried. It felt good and is looking a little better.

4- For my leave in step, I decided to use the Tresemme as this time rather than the KKNT....HIT!!! It was like smoothing butter onto my hair. Great choice!

5-I debated using Gel again, but I went ahead and used the KK Custard...I love that stuff although it so expensive, smh.
The only thing I forgot to do was to run a little oil on my hair after the final step...I'll remember next time.

:yep:Overall, I am extremely pleased with the process this time and I feel like I found a system that works for my hair. I was getting a little frustrated the last few days, so I'm glad I gave it one more shot. I also like that I waited a couple days in between this time before doing my next day of the MHM. I think the everyday back to back was too much for my hair.

So a little side note:
Between Day 3 and Day 4, I decided to experiment and cowash/wash&Go with Non-MHM approved products such as my Shea Moisture JBCO conditioner and my Wetline Gel...why did I do that? :nono: EPIC FAIL, straw dry hair, horrible. Basically it was the hair that I was dealing with before I embarked on this method, if not worse. So that satisfied my curiosity and confirmed why my hair constantly struggled with dryness. I wil be sticking to these suggested products for now. I put all my old products in a box and stored them away and simplified my bathroom with the few items that I need.

As I was doing my hair this morning, I got to thinking that having curly hair is not what's important to me, I simply want hair that is healthy and retains moisture. That's it. The rest will fall into place such as length and curl pattern.

Next time, for my Day 5, I want to experiment and see what happens if I do not use Gel...I'm not sure if this is required but I would like to see how my hair handles without it. I do not have hair that really curls up or is defined (or maybe it just hasn't happened yet) but that is not a big deal to me anyways. I would like master doing flat twist outs and rocking puffs and buns instead.

Thank you to you all for sharing advice and suggestions and a very special to faithVA...Girl, I really could not have continued the MHM without you!
I'll keep you all posted and I'll try to post some pics when I have more time. Because it's so early in the game, I do not feel like the pictures show much at this time...the reward is not visible right now. My hair barely sheds, is very easy to detangle, is softer and FINALLY seems more hydrated than before. I can't capture that in a picture, lol. So just take my word for it.

Recap for me:
My hair prefers Baking Soda...ditch the ACV for now
My hair is loving the Tresemme as my Cond/Cowash/DC/Leave-In...ditch the KKNT for now
Keep the Bentonite Clay on for no more than 15 minutes...I cannt get side tracked and leave it for 30 minutes
Section, Section, Section....Keeping the hair sectioned allowed me to penetrate product through it quicker and better and therefore speeded things up for me.
Hair is softer and more hydrated, it's a little bit more defined, but it's still a little frizzy. I'll watch over the next couple days and see how my hair behaves to these few changes.

**If you notice I kept saying "this time" over and over again, it's because today is the first time I noticed a much better outcome from the MHM since doing the Cherry Lola treatment on Day 1; so I really wanted to pinpoint what I was doing differently in comparison to the other days so I can keep track and monitor what is working for my hair.**

I'm glad you were willing to try some modifications. It really does matter. Now you seeing switching up some small things really can make a big difference.

I agree with separating days. I know people like to try the 7 days but unless you are already close to max hydration, I feel it is optional. I think doing every 3 days gives people more time to learn about their hair.

Even if you don't use gel be sure to seal your hair with something. Sealing is still very important.

Not sure if you know this but you can dilute your gel quite a bit. Maybe you can try this at some point.

faithVA

faithVA..the PJ in me really wants to try the Naturelle Grow conditoner! I never heard of them before and would love to try that. It sounds so nice and the reviews are buzzing with awesome experiences.

Is anyone NOT using gel for step 5? If so, what are you using instead and how are you liking it?

I don't use gel. I use MyHoneyChild Type 4 Hair Cream, or As I Am Curl Defining Cream. I have also used CR Almond Jai. The other two CR creams but I haven't used either one and I can't remember the names :look:

My hair isn't hydrated and I can't wear a WNG, so I like creams for now. My hair drys out with the gel so the creams allow me to put my hair up and have it make it 3 days.

If you are going to wear a WNG though one of the CR products may work for you. Some of the items I am using may be too heavy.

Smiley79

I forgot that the MHM does not require you to do a W&G. But with all the shower action going on the past few days I found it easier to just attempt a wash and go. I would love to try one of the creams instead and just wear flast twists under a wig or do a bun or anything else. I'm not really a wash and go girl, lol, I don't think I have enough hair at this point anyways, nor do i have the curl pattern for a cute wash and go.

Can you describe and example of what you do for Step 4-5 since you do not use gel (including styling examples). TIA