MHM Hangout

faithVA

So I see curl activator gels arent good either, especially if you have low porosity, due to the glycerin.

Low porosity hair doesn't necessarily have an issue with glycerin. That's really on a head by head basis. My low porosity hair is fine with glycerin. Tashboog on the other hand is high porosity and her hair doesn't like glycerin. My hair seems to be fine with it despite the season.

There are usually other things in curl activator gels like co-polymers that can be an issue for my hair.

For instant Long Aid Curl Activator ingredients
Aqua (Water) , glycerin , triethanolamine , carbomer , Oleth-20 , Methylparaben , DMDM Hydantoin , Disodium EDTA , Hydrolyzed Collagen , panthenol , Aloe Vera Powder (Aloe Barbadensis) , fragrance , Ext.Violet 2 (Cl 60730)

I would avoid the carbomer because it is similar to a plastic. Hydrolyzed Collagen is going to be a protein. I don't do parabens so I would avoid the Methylparaben. I'm pretty sure Pinkecube suggested avoiding the DMDM and the Disodium EDTA but I don't remember what they were for. And the panthenol can cause build up but it is pretty far down on the list.

The glycerin high up on the list doesn't bother my hair but could bother other people.

This is a product for people who really don't have an issue with keeping their hair hydrated.

GGsKin

^^she also says to stay away from triethanolamine. She blames this ingredient in the Eco styler she was using, as a cause for her hair literally eating out/away. Some don't have issues with it, but some do with longterm use.

DeeLiteFulEKinky

I tried the Modified method because it was simpler, but in all honesty, I didn't think it would work as well. However, I had better definition without the conditioner, which means my hair was getting hydrated better without the conditioner coating it and building up. Now I do the CLCT every 2 weeks and am experimenting with other ways to keep it well conditioned. I actually miss my conditioner, because conditioners smell so good:) but my hair doesn't need it very much since it's low porosity.

Interesting... what is your density?

DeeLiteFulEKinky

I feel like I'm doing research but here goes:
As a newbie, I don't want to ask questions that have been asked and answered. To that end, I decided to go back 20 pages and read up on things to get a feel for what people are discussing. The following are some notes.

@AbsyBlvd said in a reply to someone else "Try not to get discouraged and remember this is about a way of caring for your hair. Not just getting curls/ definition. It will come in time." For me, this is a really uplifting reaffirming statement. We live in a "fast" world. And unless you have managed to avoid it, many hair products/regimens tout fast results, and they have to otherwise we don't pay attention. To be honest if pinkecube said try this regimen for 365 days straight and then you will see improvement, this hangout wouldn't exist. But really what I get from your statement is the "caring" for our hair. My first big chop was in 2002. And I lasted for 4 years before texturizing in hopes to make it all easier to manage, which led to relaxing, to tex-laxing, to a mini transition back to another BC. Had this information (mhm) been around back then, or the slew of yt videos and hair gurus... I can't even imagine how things would have turned out for me 13 years natural. Just the thought of it gives me chills. I never in all that time learned how to "care" for my hair. The truth is hair types matter very little in the grand scheme of things. Porosity, for me is King right now. And hair density is Queen. More on that below.

@faithVA mentioned that the more moisturizing the product the less definition she receives. Something about hair being overly soft. I was thinking on this for myself, as I feel like the original regimen is fine right now and using KCNT then Oyin hair dew and burnt sugar pomade on top doesn't take away from my definition. Not so much that I'd notice. My hair is usually sopping wet when I apply the three tho, so I don't know if that helps.
Then, @KiWiStyle, you mention something that has me thinking... "If the original method is working with some people longterm, maybe we should assess if those heads have course strands which means more cuticle layers for the conditioners to penetrate, which means more work." I would say I have a thicker hair strand for sure. So much so that before doing this method my hair was always in tangles no matter how I detangle with my denman. Also, I could only attempt to detangle after having conditioner sit on my hair for a long while. But really only time will tell. I've only done 5 cycles so far, so what the heck could I know already. But I do wonder where we all stand when we look at the variables in our hair makeup.

DeeLiteFulEKinky

I decided to jump on DubaiDee's modification- water rinse, clay, and gel (with the occasional CLCT) because I'd been doing the regimen for 6 months using only approved products and although I got great benefits, I noticed that my hair was looking dull/ greyish.

Since adapting, my hair looks better. I've realised that all the conditioner use (clarify, DC, co-washing and leave in) although diluted, was just too much for my hair and it was building up. Now I am finding the balance between no conditioner and occasional use.

okay, I see. And what is your density? And which conditioner(s) were you using?

discodumpling

I feel that. It hasn't impeded your ability to attain max hydration?
I'm not sure if I would be reaching MH any sooner if I stuck with only approved products and methods. Some areas of my head are quite thirsty and resistant to hydration. Even if I never reach MH i'll be cool with what i've accomplished. The easiest way to manage my hair with minimal manipulation!

DeeLiteFulEKinky

I have to put my toddler to bed, go grocery shopping and water the lawn. But I also need to do another cycle. I'm considering rinsing, clay, then leave-in. I honestly don't want to modify at all so early in the game, but my scalp does not like the over night conditioning. It makes me itch. Frick! What to do. Maybe I should just suck it up and DC overnight. Then I can air dry tomorrow and have really fresh looking hair instead.

faithVA

I have to put my toddler to bed, go grocery shopping and water the lawn. But I also need to do another cycle. I'm considering rinsing, clay, then leave-in. I honestly don't want to modify at all so early in the game, but my scalp does not like the over night conditioning. It makes me itch. Frick! What to do. Maybe I should just suck it up and DC overnight. Then I can air dry tomorrow and have really fresh looking hair instead.

If your scalp doesn't like it, try to avoid it. Doing a modified wash every now and then isn't going to hurt anything. Causing an unnecessary scalp condition would be much worse.

discodumpling

:) That would be me to. If I clay tonight it has to be overnight and quite frankly I don't wanna! Ugggh i'm gonna suck it up and just do it...in between everything else that needs to be done. Including my 5 yr olds hair. I spent 2 hrs on Sunday evening twisting her hair. The plan was to leave them in for 10 days. BUT this chick let a few 8th graders treat her like a doll baby and play in her hair. They took EVERY single moisturized twist down :( and now it's a birds nest that needs to be braided down and tucked away.

DeeLiteFulEKinky

:) That would be me to. If I clay tonight it has to be overnight and quite frankly I don't wanna! Ugggh i'm gonna suck it up and just do it...in between everything else that needs to be done. Including my 5 yr olds hair. I spent 2 hrs on Sunday evening twisting her hair. The plan was to leave them in for 10 days. BUT this chick let a few 8th graders treat her like a doll baby and play in her hair. They took EVERY single moisturized twist down :( and now it's a birds nest that needs to be braided down and tucked away.
You are so nice. My mom would have whipped my behind. She couldn't stress enough to not let people play in my hair. I never understood the big deal but she made it sound like they would do something to my hair in some kinda roots thing or something. Maybe all that fuss was cause she didn't want to wrestle with my hair more than was necessary.

DeeLiteFulEKinky

If your scalp doesn't like it, try to avoid it. Doing a modified wash every now and then isn't going to hurt anything. Causing an unnecessary scalp condition would be much worse.
Honestly, I've slept with a shower cap on overnight 2x in the time I started. The first time was to dc and it was itchy but tingly at the same time. I like to think the TJTTT was killing the seb derm on my scalp. The 2nd time was after I applied the leave in but didn't want to do a wng right before bed. So I kept my hair wet so in the morning I could just apply gel. That time I think was the worse itch ever. Maybe cause there was no tea tree and peppermint on my scalp??? Yes, I am trying to find a way to do something potentially irritating becuase I am a perfectionist and want to stick to the regimen. Yes, I know.

aharri23

Aharri, how long do you spend in the detangling stage? I think your regimen is pretty quick, but you need to do a slow, meticulous detangling with the clay at least once a week I would think if you didn't want shed hairs to build up. Are you getting enough slip with your clay to feel like you can detangle well? I keep playing around with my clay mix (adding slippery elm powder, experimenting with honey, EOs) etc so that it can give me slip and I can stick to the two step process if possible.

How are you going to add it back? I mean at what point (i.e., pre-clay or post-clay)? I need to stop asking all these questions and just try this modified method out, but I am trying to avoid a set-back because I have come too far to turn back now.

Hey y'all thanks for replying, I have a quick update. I tried sodium bentonite clay for the first time today and it is definitely a game changer. It really melts into my hair and my hair has a ton of slip and is easy to detangle. I think using rhassoul may have had something to do with not getting all the tangles (dubaii4c says that benonite gets tangles out better, and I definitely noticed that) and also using milk. I noticed I get more slip with clay + water + a splash of acv instead of using clay + milk + honey.

Gonna go back to modified MHM (I know im all over the place! I'm really trying to perfect my regimen) but sodium bentonite clay is the business...it's like calcium bentonite clay only the texture is really smooth and melts into the hair. Maaan this stuff is amazing. FaithVA i know you said you didn't like sodium benonite clay but I was wondering why? Also I'm sorry sweet soul magic didnt work for you...I would just make a homemade gel with xanthan gum and some oils because my hair looks better when using my homemade gel versues sweet soul magic so I probably won't repurchase.

Holla4mom

I'm not sure if I would be reaching MH any sooner if I stuck with only approved products and methods. Some areas of my head are quite thirsty and resistant to hydration. Even if I never reach MH i'll be cool with what i've accomplished. The easiest way to manage my hair with minimal manipulation!
And discodumpling, remind me- are you low porosity or not?

Holla4mom

When I DC'ed overnight, I didn't get scalp itchies if I added essential oil to the DC (like rosemary, tea tree, etc). I think other people had some ideas for avoiding itchy scalp as well.

Holla4mom

You have got to be kidding me! I have three girls, so four natural heads here. Now they know better because I can't do that much retwisting, lol! Fortunately, my 13 year old twists her own hair in mini twists now (so proud of her) and my 11 and 8 year olds are wearing wash n gos. I am proud of them too because they are doing their own co-washes during the week, and putting their own gel on and putting it in a bun to dry. I help them a little but on the weekend I give them a deep conditioning, sometimes clay and a good detangling. These girls keep us busy!

Last edited:

AJellyCake

QUESTION again! :)

So I am thinking of getting twists installed with added hair. How do you think this will impact my regimen? Can/should I rinse my hair every day?

Thoughts please! Thanks. :) :) :)

faithVA

Hey y'all thanks for replying, I have a quick update. I tried sodium bentonite clay for the first time today and it is definitely a game changer. It really melts into my hair and my hair has a ton of slip and is easy to detangle. I think using rhassoul may have had something to do with not getting all the tangles (dubaii4c says that benonite gets tangles out better, and I definitely noticed that) and also using milk. I noticed I get more slip with clay + water + a splash of acv instead of using clay + milk + honey.

Gonna go back to modified MHM (I know im all over the place! I'm really trying to perfect my regimen) but sodium bentonite clay is the business...it's like calcium bentonite clay only the texture is really smooth and melts into the hair. Maaan this stuff is amazing. FaithVA i know you said you didn't like sodium benonite clay but I was wondering why? Also I'm sorry sweet soul magic didnt work for you...I would just make a homemade gel with xanthan gum and some oils because my hair looks better when using my homemade gel versues sweet soul magic so I probably won't repurchase.
I didn't say I didn't like it. I said it doesn't do anything special to my hair. My hair isn't softer or more defined. It doesn't give me any more slip. Its definitely better than the calcium bentonite which just dries my hair out but it wasn't better on my hair than rhassoul.

discodumpling

Here was tonight's effort towards MH.

Clarify..I haven't used shampoo in at least 6 months! Tonight I used ORS Creamy Aloe.
Clay: Rhassoul (4TSP), SAA (1TSP), AVJ 1/4cup, Oils: Argan, Castor, Grapeseed, & Water.
2 baggies & a doo-rag and goodnight!
I'll rinse, leave in and gel tomorrow.
Oh and this mix was super slippy most likely due to the SAA's. My hair detangled very easily. Application was also made easier because my hair was damp/wet as opposed to a dry clay application.

DeeLiteFulEKinky

When I DC'ed overnight, I didn't get scalp itchies if I added essential oil to the DC (like rosemary, tea tree, etc). I think other people had some ideas for avoiding itchy scalp as well.
Can someone fill me in. I have a ton of EOs. I used to add EOs to my TJTTT to aid in helping my scalp... Rosemary, lavender and ylang ylang.

Holla4mom

Here are my pics after clay washing and with watered down flax seed gel.

View attachment 325879 View attachment 325880

Also, for those that wear stretched styles, do you find that its hard to get defined curls when you wash or do they come back once your hair gets wet?
Your hair is coming along! I wear braid outs. My hair still curls up and I make progress in my hair becoming more defined as long as I do the gel step and separate/ define my clumps before plaiting it up. When I first started and I was skipping that step, I apparently wasn't coaxing my stands together to form clumps well enough.

Holla4mom

Hi everyone! I'm working on trying to get my coils stay defined after my gel dries, I've given up on getting definition without product. I'm letting my hair grow so maybe it just need length but I think that's just me being optimistic.

I have been using KCCC religiously since day one and I'm thinking its not heavy enough. It takes so much gel and drippy wet hair for most of my hair to define and even then, it frizzes out when dry. If I use less water, the gel doesn't do much. My hair is super fine and has no weight on its own and its my belief that the kccc may be too light for my seen. Can you recommend a heavier gel please? All the approved gels I've seen all seem to have the loose and watery consistency as well..are you having sustained good results with an unapproved gel?
Did you already try flaxseed gel? I don't think it's a "heavy" gel per say but I find it does have good hold. Then again I've never used a synthetic gel like Ecostyler on this regimen, so I'm not sure. I think the watery, looser gels are water soluble and easier to wash out without having to introduce shampoo into the regimen. It would be great if you can find a heavier botanical gel.