MHM Hangout

DeeLiteFulEKinky

Hi everyone!!
1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube's MHM
2. When did you start the regimen? 2 weeks ago, I just completed the 5th cycle.
3. How often do you do the method? As early as every other day, occasionally every 2/3 days - depends on life. Goal is every 2 days
4. Benefits seen so far:
Shorter detangling time
Being able to detangle with my fingers (even after having a 3 day wng that I slept on) and literally be able to run my fingers through my hair from root to tip
Sebborehic dermatitis seems to be gone
Scalp hardly ever itches
Hair always smells good (I feel like we don't talk about this when only washing 1x a week, but maybe it was just me)
Much less shedding
The simplicity of having a regimen that has proven to work for me from day 1, and it's all spelled out for me. I never really had a regimen before and would piggyback off of yt videos and blog post of whatever new trend is out there or new must have product with its "promises". Only to have dry hair remain, and scalp issues to persist.
5. Anything else you would like to share.
I read all 37 pages of the thread that lead to this hangout and I am so happy that it's still an active hangout. Before lhcf, I read pinkecube bhm forum more than half way and realized that it was fizzing out. So thanks for staying active for late comers like me.
6. Starting Photo
I don't have a starting photo but I did take a photo early on. I'll see about posting it later.
7. Current Picture if you have one.
Coming soon
8. List your steps and products. New comers may find this helpful when looking at products and modifications.
Clarify: baking soda and TJTTT plus water. I measured the ph and get a 9.5-10 in my completed mix

DC/Detangle: TJTTT and water

Clay: ( note: I slowly added additional ingredients as I went along but I started with just the clay, water, honey, acv and grapeseed/avocado oils) and found the following to be the mix I will keep. I possibly will add horsetail extract at some point.)
Aztec Bentonite, honey, grapeseed, avocado & rose hip seed oils, linden & nettle extracts, ylang ylang EO, ACV, water... Mixed in a 16 oz bottle. Measured a ph of 8 in my completed mix

Leave In: initially I used a heavily diluted TJ TTT as my leave in but with the purchase of KTKT, I realize it works better as a leave in over TJ TTT. I heavily dilute KNKT as my leave in.

Seal: Oyin Hair Dew (US) followed by Oyin burnt sugar pomade (US)... I tried KCCC for a wng but my hair felt really crispy even though I diluted it 1:4, (KCCC:Water) and I applied the KCCC over both Oyin's and still it was hard. Any suggestions?

Oyin hair dew has a ph of 5.5 but since I've had the bottle for a long time, I don't know if a brand new bottle would be the same. When I repurchase i can update is anyone is interested.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks. I might try again in the future. If so I'll pick a reggie here, maybe yours since you laid it out so nicely. Being honest, I know I won't really do a lot of research for a regimen. I've been hair boarding it for 8 years, so I'm kind of spent in that arena. ;)

My hair care, when I'm being good, is wash weekly. I might detangle before of after washing. I wash and detangle in sections, about 15 of them. I use a wide tooth comb. Blow dry every 2nd to 3rd wash with a comb attachment. This is the best way to get all the shed hair out, and if it isn't all removed, the tangles just build and build. Use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner and shampoo. Periodically use a stronger shampoo and periodically use some other conditioner. Aveda Damage Remedy is my favorite, though it's kind of expensive. I'll wear twists or a twist out if I didn't blow dry, and some other style, some updo, when I blow dry. Usually coconut oil as a leave in throughout the week. If I didn't blow dry, I might use some other leave in like KCKT.

I was interested in MHM because of a promise to get rid of tangles. I'm pretty good at retaining length, but hair care just takes so much time. I want something that doesn't take a lot of time. I've seen many hair trends come around and periodically I'll just try one people are raving about and when it doesn't work out after a few tries, I go back to what I've been doing. I've been natural for ... 19 years now, but I'm planning on texturizing soon, looking for easier hair.

Good Luck with the texturizier(sp). I loved my textuized hair and probably in the future I'll go back to that or loc my hair. Do you know what brand of relaxer that you will be using? Me personally, I swear by Linange Shea Butter Texturizer. That is the BEST texturizer that I have ever used. I used to use Mizani BB but I used to get scalp burns. But that was probably b/c of the hair dresser and not so much b/c of the product. But I dont know.

That's awesome that you spent 19yrs natural. Sometimes you need a change. I've been natural, relax, texlax and now back to natural. I've been partially loced but never fully committed.

Holla4mom

Good Luck with the texturizier(sp). I loved my textuized hair and probably in the future I'll go back to that or loc my hair. Do you know what brand of relaxer that you will be using? Me personally, I swear by Linange Shea Butter Texturizer. That is the BEST texturizer that I have ever used. I used to use Mizani BB but I used to get scalp burns. But that was probably b/c of the hair dresser and not so much b/c of the product. But I dont know.

That's awesome that you spent 19yrs natural. Sometimes you need a change. I've been natural, relax, texlax and now back to natural. I've been partially loced but never fully committed.
What difference did you see with your texturized hair versus your natural hair and what made you go back natural?

Holla4mom

Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a good start with your regimen. I haven't done the full regimen in about a month as I've been doling Dubaidee4c's modified method (clay/ gel).
Hi everyone!!
1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube's MHM
2. When did you start the regimen? 2 weeks ago, I just completed the 5th cycle.
3. How often do you do the method? As early as every other day, occasionally every 2/3 days - depends on life. Goal is every 2 days
4. Benefits seen so far:
Shorter detangling time
Being able to detangle with my fingers (even after having a 3 day wng that I slept on) and literally be able to run my fingers through my hair from root to tip
Sebborehic dermatitis seems to be gone
Scalp hardly ever itches
Hair always smells good (I feel like we don't talk about this when only washing 1x a week, but maybe it was just me)
Much less shedding
The simplicity of having a regimen that has proven to work for me from day 1, and it's all spelled out for me. I never really had a regimen before and would piggyback off of yt videos and blog post of whatever new trend is out there or new must have product with its "promises". Only to have dry hair remain, and scalp issues to persist.
5. Anything else you would like to share.
I read all 37 pages of the thread that lead to this hangout and I am so happy that it's still an active hangout. Before lhcf, I read pinkecube bhm forum more than half way and realized that it was fizzing out. So thanks for staying active for late comers like me.
6. Starting Photo
I don't have a starting photo but I did take a photo early on. I'll see about posting it later.
7. Current Picture if you have one.
Coming soon
8. List your steps and products. New comers may find this helpful when looking at products and modifications.
Clarify: baking soda and TJTTT plus water. I measured the ph and get a 9.5-10 in my completed mix

DC/Detangle: TJTTT and water

Clay: ( note: I slowly added additional ingredients as I went along but I started with just the clay, water, honey, acv and grapeseed/avocado oils) and found the following to be the mix I will keep. I possibly will add horsetail extract at some point.)
Aztec Bentonite, honey, grapeseed, avocado & rose hip seed oils, linden & nettle extracts, ylang ylang EO, ACV, water... Mixed in a 16 oz bottle. Measured a ph of 8 in my completed mix

Leave In: initially I used a heavily diluted TJ TTT as my leave in but with the purchase of KTKT, I realize it works better as a leave in over TJ TTT. I heavily dilute KNKT as my leave in.

Seal: Oyin Hair Dew (US) followed by Oyin burnt sugar pomade (US)... I tried KCCC for a wng but my hair felt really crispy even though I diluted it 1:4, (KCCC:Water) and I applied the KCCC over both Oyin's and still it was hard. Any suggestions?

Oyin hair dew has a ph of 5.5 but since I've had the bottle for a long time, I don't know if a brand new bottle would be the same. When I repurchase i can update is anyone is interested.

faithVA

Thanks. I think I'm willing to try once more, maybe in a few weeks. Whose recipes for what would you suggest I try?
The ladies will jump in. If you did what you did before you will be frustrated, disappointed and make very little progress. I'm not at my PC to give you a long answer but all the ladies on here have regimens that will work and give you better results.

Guinan

Re-Branding
What difference did you see with your texturized hair versus your natural hair and what made you go back natural?

I wanted something different and I wanted to play around with color. I color my hair ALOT. As far as the difference between my texturized hair and natural hair; the main difference is the thickness. I have VERY thick hair and with the texturizer it really helped manage the thickness. The crazy thing is that it still takes me that same amount of time to do my natural hair as it did with my texlaxed hair. However, with my texturized hair I had to be careful b/c of the two textures; I would do 6-12mth stretches.

faithVA

Thanks. I might try again in the future. If so I'll pick a reggie here, maybe yours since you laid it out so nicely. Being honest, I know I won't really do a lot of research for a regimen. I've been hair boarding it for 8 years, so I'm kind of spent in that arena. ;)

My hair care, when I'm being good, is wash weekly. I might detangle before of after washing. I wash and detangle in sections, about 15 of them. I use a wide tooth comb. Blow dry every 2nd to 3rd wash with a comb attachment. This is the best way to get all the shed hair out, and if it isn't all removed, the tangles just build and build. Use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner and shampoo. Periodically use a stronger shampoo and periodically use some other conditioner. Aveda Damage Remedy is my favorite, though it's kind of expensive. I'll wear twists or a twist out if I didn't blow dry, and some other style, some updo, when I blow dry. Usually coconut oil as a leave in throughout the week. If I didn't blow dry, I might use some other leave in like KCKT.

I was interested in MHM because of a promise to get rid of tangles. I'm pretty good at retaining length, but hair care just takes so much time. I want something that doesn't take a lot of time. I've seen many hair trends come around and periodically I'll just try one people are raving about and when it doesn't work out after a few tries, I go back to what I've been doing. I've been natural for ... 19 years now, but I'm planning on texturizing soon, looking for easier hair.

If you want a regimen that doesn't take a lot of time you should try the modified mhm regimen and then add conditioner occasionally.

1. Clarify with clarifying shampoo- just one time
2. Do clct - every other week or once a month
3. Do clay: 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup acv and 2 to 4 tbsp of clay.
4. Gel

Clay or the water rinse every 3 days

faithVA

My wng held up pretty good. It was just starting to shrink though and I wasn't sure what it was going to look like tomorrow for work. After a certain point it can't be salvaged and didnt want to go to work with a tight fro.

So I did another clay wash and detangle better. I used the soul magic gel. It was easier to apply but I think the kccc gives me better definition and hold. We shall see tomorrow.

I think with 2 more inches of growth I will feel more comfortable wearing my wng even after it shrinks. I will probably rinse and twist it back up tomorrow.

snoop

I did the modified clay wash today but changed things a little. I used coconut milk instead of regular milk cause I like coconut milk with my clay and I added flax seed gel for slip. I think the flax seed is a keeper!

HopefulOne

It's hard to say how the modified regimen really works for you when you are doing both regimens. Nothing wrong with doing both. For those who wanted to switch, they clarified with a shampoo first and then did the clct and then did the modified regimen. I think this is really the only way to truly see if the modified regimen works or not. Otherwise the modified method is trying to deal with conditioner build up which it isn't meant to do. With that said, nothing wrong with doing the two together to get a break.

Welcome me ladies, I took the plunge and I jumped into the modified method. I clarified like a madwoman and then used my clay mix for 20 minutes. I then used an aloe spritz and Beautiful Curls. I love my hair it is hangong lower and there were no tangles which is why I do the method. This is so easy and cheap because you only need clay and gel. Conditioner for the CLCT will last forever. I should have done this weeks ago. Thank you ladies for posting your progress it inspired me.

GGsKin

Welcome! @DeeLiteFulEKinky. I was at a loss when the BHM forum ran dry (and I didnt even venture threads other than the MHM one lol) so I am glad we found this place too.

You sound like you have your regimen down at the moment. Glad you are seeing the results of your hard work:yep:. Hopefully you get to post your pics soon:supergrin:.

discodumpling

Welcome to the newbies! The more input we have the better this regimen will be for future generations :)
I'm coming up on my 4th month of MHM and quite frankly it's either getting easier or i'm getting lazier!
After a week of no moisturizer between my leave-in and gel (y'all know how we always trying to SIMPLIFY!) i've decided that I like both the look and FEEL of my hair WITH my curl activator layered between my KCKT and gel. My curls look better and my hair dries softer. I'm glad I did this experiment to know that it's not for me at this point in the journey.
I'm still gonna experiment but it's nice knowing you can always reset your hair with one focused MHM session.

faithVA

So wng's are not for me. They are far too much work for me at this stage. I can install flat twist in 1 hour and wear them 3 to 5 days without having to touch them at all. This wng is going to require me to do something to it everyday :nono: It's definitely not a time saver for me. I don't have the time or the interest. So I'm back to flat twist tonight and will put the wng on the shelf until the end of the summer. I will pull it out in case of an emergency.

I think tonight I will just water rinse instead of using clay. I will do another clay treatment on Wednesday.

DeeLiteFulEKinky

Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a good start with your regimen. I haven't done the full regimen in about a month as I've been doling Dubaidee4c's modified method (clay/ gel).
Thanks for the welcome. I do feel good about the regimen so far. If it ain't broke...

You may have already mentioned this in an earlier thread ( pls forgive me I can't read through 118 pages right now) but why have you chosen to modify? I see many people do and Im curious if it's just to save time.

GGsKin

Thanks for the welcome. I do feel good about the regimen so far. If it ain't broke...

You may have already mentioned this in an earlier thread ( pls forgive me I can't read through 118 pages right now) but why have you chosen to modify? I see many people do and Im curious if it's just to save time.

I decided to jump on DubaiDee's modification- water rinse, clay, and gel (with the occasional CLCT) because I'd been doing the regimen for 6 months using only approved products and although I got great benefits, I noticed that my hair was looking dull/ greyish.

Since adapting, my hair looks better. I've realised that all the conditioner use (clarify, DC, co-washing and leave in) although diluted, was just too much for my hair and it was building up. Now I am finding the balance between no conditioner and occasional use.

faithVA

Question:

Can someone clarify the use of glycerin for me please? Is it completely a no-no? Can we use it in the gel stage or conditioner stage? I'm confused. I thought we were to avoid it completely.

TIA!

It is not a complete no no. You can use glycerin if it agrees with your hair and you live in a humid climate. You want to avoid it in dry climates. You can use it in both the gel and conditioner stage depending on your hair.

AJellyCake

It is not a complete no no. You can use glycerin if it agrees with your hair and you live in a humid climate. You want to avoid it in dry climates. You can use it in both the gel and conditioner stage depending on your hair.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Tremendously helpful, as always.

Smiley79

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what are you ladies using for your Protein Treatments...my hair has been limp lately...I think I have gone overboard with the moisture part of this regimen.

On another note I need to get back to using the Bentonite Clay, I haven't used it in so long. Can I just right into using it without doing the ACV/DC steps first.

faithVA

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what are you ladies using for your Protein Treatments...my hair has been limp lately...I think I have gone overboard with the moisture part of this regimen.

On another note I need to get back to using the Bentonite Clay, I haven't used it in so long. Can I just right into using it without doing the ACV/DC steps first.

I'm using Komaza's protein. It's a keratin protein which I find to be quite friendly to my hair. Gives great strength but doesn't make it hard.

Sure you can skip step 1 and just go right to the bentonite clay. When you say get back to it do you mean you weren't using clay at all or you were using some other type of clay.

nycutiepie

I did not have time to do my hair this weekend :( and I'm still in flat twists from Thursday. I'm going to do a CLT probably tomorrow and continue the full cycle until Mother's Day weekend. I'm leaving that Sunday for an 8 day trip so I'll clarify and do the modified while I'm away. I think my hair has reached max hydration so it probably doesn't really matter much what regimen I do at this point.

Has anyone in here reached max hydration? Based on the pics, I think @AbsyBlvd and @discodumpling have?

discodumpling

So far (mhm 4 months) i am finding that my hair accepts a clt every 6 weeks as enough of a heavy protein. However i also co wash with a keratin conditioner sometimes so i know my hair is receiving regular and steady doses of protein. If my hair started getting mushy i wouldn't hesitate in using a commercial protein treatment.

GGsKin

Last week I used a keratin conditioner. This was my first shot of proper protein in a very long time (over 6 months) and I notice that the hair that was looking limp in my crown area, is definitely more coily and springy now.

GGsKin

I did not have time to do my hair this weekend :( and I'm still in flat twists from Thursday. I'm going to do a CLT probably tomorrow and continue the full cycle until Mother's Day weekend. I'm leaving that Sunday for an 8 day trip so I'll clarify and do the modified while I'm away. I think my hair has reached max hydration so it probably doesn't really matter much what regimen I do at this point.

Has anyone in here reached max hydration? Based on the pics, I think @AbsyBlvd and @discodumpling have?

I wouldn't say that I'm at max hydration. Its funny, before you asked this question, I hadn't tried to assess this in a while. I do think it's getting there:yep:. I have some definition without product, but not enough for me to claim (or maybe I have that hairnorexia).

On some strands it is root to tip, and some coils are really pronounced at the roots and the ends. It's like the definition is travelling up/down the length to meet in the middle.

Smiley79

I'm using Komaza's protein. It's a keratin protein which I find to be quite friendly to my hair. Gives great strength but doesn't make it hard.

Sure you can skip step 1 and just go right to the bentonite clay. When you say get back to it do you mean you weren't using clay at all or you were using some other type of clay.

Thanks @faithVA...yes I meant I wasn't using the clay at all...basically due to lack of time time and/or laziness, lol. For the most part, I was keeping up with my AVC or BS prepoo followed by DC and I would stop there. So I think I am way overdue for the protein and I really miss the bentonite clay step.