Master DIY sew-in weavers..HELP! I am braided what next?

Tresses

Although I am a newbie and this is my first post, I promise to try to keep it short and to the point. Bypass the first two paragraphs to get to my initial question.

My name is Lesley and I am so glad that I found this forum. Thank you in advance for the great info I found while I was a lerker.
I am currently in cos school and I am very passionate about my trade. I want to ensure that I am on both sides of the fence when caring for my clients hair if you know what I mean, so I feel that this and other hair care forums are the perfect place for me to obtain my "continuing education." I believe and promote healthy hair staples now for myself and my clients.

But this is a selfish post. I have decided to start a regimen for myself. I haven't read as much as I would like (info overload), but I have some basics. I have decided to do the Sew-In Challange to see if I can gain some success as others have and to get back to the length I had not even a year ago.

Now finally the question! I wanted to get tips and advice from those who sew-in their own weaves. I have never done my own sewn in and I have only done it on a victim/cousin once a long time ago. I have a dvd by Ashanti that I watched and I know I can do it, it will just take some time. I have pics of my current length and of the way my cousin braided my hair. I just need tips on those who do it themselves.
www.fotki.com/upandcoming Look under My Tresses, then LHCF members only.
PW: shamis
FYI: I am doing a full head sew-in

How do you close your sew-ins at the top to ensure a natural look?
I heard of people stating they do something to the ends of the weft to prevent lifting, have any of you guys heard of this, if so how do you do it?
I forgot how to secure the thread at the end once the track is in place. Do I tie a knot in the thread or what ?
How do you keep the top/bang area from looking bulky? Do you split the track in half before stiching it or do stich the wefts farther apart?
I also forgot to ask, how do you all thread your needle? Any tips?
And please provide any tips you deem necessary that I forgot to ask!!

This is kind of an ASAP question, as you can see I am sitting here with my braids ready for some action.

Thanks in advance suga's
L

Last edited:

asummertyme

How do you close your sew-ins at the top to ensure a natural look?
well, first it is very important that the weft itself be not to thick, the problem with BSS hair is that the weft is way to thick and it makes it that much harder to close up the hole, second..to close up the top, wich i learned from the ashanti video, u must keep going around in a circle , i mean keep going until u cant go anymore, and then go around again to insure that no tracks are shown..wich video did u purchase? the interlace video shows you how to do it..
I heard of people stating they do something to the ends of the weft to prevent lifting, have any of you guys heard of this, if so how do you do it?
I forgot how to secure the thread at the end once the track is in place. Do I tie a knot in the thread or what ? at the end of each sewn weft, sew it 3 xtra times and the knot it 2x..thats what i do to ensure it will not lift.
How do you keep the top/bang area from looking bulky? Do you split the track in half before stiching it or do stich the wefts farther apart?
if your hair is from the beauty supply, i would split it..to make the weft thinner, and add until u like the amount of thickness that u want.
I also forgot to ask, how do you all thread your needle?

thread the needle...girl...u got a job ahead of you...lol
u thread it like a regular needle and thread except the weave needle's hole is much bigger and easier to get the thread thru, also i usually have about 3 needles threaded and ready to go, makes it easier and goes a bit faster for me.
Any tips?
And please provide any tips you deem necessary that I forgot to ask!!
just take your time, this is ur first weave, so just go slow , so it can come out the way u want. ask away..and welcome to the boards...

This is kind of an ASAP question, as you can see I am sitting here with my braids ready for some action.

Tresses

Thank you soooo much asummertyme for your quick reply. I have several of Ashanti's dvd's but the one you are refering to doesn't exist. I think you may have it confused with the Micro-Lace dvd where he does it with the net.

Anyhoo, I have that one in addition to dream hair, inter-twist, ect.

Oops. I think I posed my question incorrectly. I know how to thread a needle!!!;) I was asking a special (if any) technique you guys might use to knot the end. lol lol lol

Anymore tips, I am so in love with this board!!!!

asummertyme

your braids look good too! o yeah, how are the rest of the video's..i have the micro lace and intrablend..i wonder about the others.

Last edited:

Tresses

Thank you. My cousin did it for me. I would've let her do my sew-in too but she is more the "ghetto fab/kitchen-tician" stylist and isn't really concerned about the health of my real hair. For example, I told her to add syn to my hairline braid because this is the weakest part of your hair and my especially because I am beginning to get my mothers cow-lick and I couldn't afford to loose anymore hair around my big shiny foe! lol Well she didn't (Hefer!) so I will be extra careful with this weave and I won't keep it in as long as a result.

To be honest with you asummertyme, I don't remember how to do most of the techniques. I purchased them several months ago, watched them all within a few days (I was too excited) and never been able to apply practice on anyone and the mannequin just isn't the same.

But I do know that I am pleased with my purchase. I learned some new techniques and I learned how to do some things that I always wondered and asked about but people/haters always danced around the answer if you know what I mean.

But I have all of these:
Intertwist Extensions
Cut & Style 2,3 & 4
Fusion Extensions
Remove it
Micro-Lace Extensions
Dream Hair Extensions
Gorgeous Hair Extensions
Long Hair Cuts 1 & 2

If you or anyone is interested pm me and let me know.

And if anyone else has some info on the process of DIY sew-in let me know. I have already missed one step by not adding syn to my thin areas as I learned in a search, so I don't want to miss out on anything else.

Last edited:

Tresses

I am taking a refresher course of the Micro-lace. I only have one needle so I have already threaded that. I have hooked up my web cam so I can see the back of my hair comforably and I am must taking my time like you suggested.

If I get tired, I will wrap what I have accomplish in a scarf and resume tomorrow. For now I have sprayed my braids with scurl and a biolage leave in for moisture. I plan on getting MTG tommorrow as a part of my specific regimen.

Since I am in sort of a rush, I don't suppose I will get any post until I am almost done (it always happens like this dont it gurl) but I will post pics of my progress along the way. Thanks again gurl, when I was a lurker, your as well as other albums help me out.

L

Tresses

Ok, I am finishing up. This was harder than I thought since I am not using a net and this braid pattern isn't the best for a DIY'er.

Anyhoo, I am doing a two-tone sew-in. Brown and blond with blong being on the top. I have ran into a possible problem. My thread is dark brown. Will this matter as I began to close the hole. Will you be able to tell? This is the only color thread that they had so I didn't question it.

I always use white glue when I do light colors such as blonds. But I never seen white thread before???? HELP ????

Last edited:

pretty-girl#1

Those braids look really good! I'd love to see the out come of the sew in. I am a do it myself sew inner. I've perfected my technique and I'll share with you what works best for me. I get my hair briaded all going to the back, none left out with a full head and the sides and top left out with a partial. I sew my braids down to each other so that none are left hanging. I use a full mesh net for a full head and I use a partial net that you can cut for a partial weave. I sew the net to my hair and cut off all excess net. once my hair is all secured under the net. I start in the front and back and make one circle around my whole hair line with the track. I make sure to go to the very end of the net so that it looks as natural as possible. Then, I use what I call the "Box" method and cut pieces all the way around my head shapped in a square. I'll do one portion at a time to complete the full box. I make sure to put the next track as close to the one already in place. I leave no spaces between the tracks! This gives you a fuller more natural look and allows you to wear your hair in different styles like pin ups! I go around and around until I have just a tiny box left. I'll either use a center piece, or I'll start just doing all the tracks to the front and back, respectively, until there is no space between them! I always sew the last two tracks I've placed together and then down to the track behind it. It lays down and looks absolutely wonderful! I wish I had a digital camera! I will get one soon and then you'll be able to see just how this method wooks for me! Good Luck and let us see ur final out come.

Tresses

Thanks ladies. I am almost done, I just have to run to the BSS to pick up some blond thread (cece22).

Oooh, thanks pretty-girl, I will try this method next go around. I know I will definately braid going back next time. The way my hair is braided now makes it sooo hard for me to sew and it will be difficult to moisturize between the tracks. You can tell by my sewing pattern :lol:

Anyway, I will post pics of the process and end result in my album and post when it is up.

Thanks again ladies!!

cece22

lesley said:
Thanks ladies. I am almost done, I just have to run to the BSS to pick up some blond thread (cece22).

Oooh, thanks pretty-girl, I will try this method next go around. I know I will definately braid going back next time. The way my hair is braided now makes it sooo hard for me to sew and it will be difficult to moisturize between the tracks. You can tell by my sewing pattern :lol:

Anyway, I will post pics of the process and end result in my album and post when it is up.

Thanks again ladies!!

Yeah it is difficult to moisturize. You can place your moisturizer in a squirt bottle something like s-curl or a thick creamy leave in diluted with water. Just squirt a little of this on the cornrows and on the the threads were it is sewn. Side note thread can cut your hair. This is what I need to do because I have been neglecting my moisture.

Tresses

What are these "Ashanti" vidoes ya'll are talking about???
visit this link: www.hairtogo.8m.com

HATED IT!!!! OMG ladies I don't know where to begin. First off let me warn you that I did not take pics. I know I should've because It might have helped the problem, but I was tooo humiliated. Plus I asked my cousin to do the top ( the rest of the blond) because I was getting tired and I couldn't see very well.

Well I think because of the braid pattern we used and the size of the braids, you could see parts in my head through the blond in the front. And to make matters worse, she didn't know how to close the top like she claimed she did. Hefer!!!

She wanted me to take it out and re-braid it all going back and start all over again. But I didn't think that was a good idea since I don't trust her now and on a "healthy hair" regimen not "put my hair through extra stress" regimen. So now I am sitting at home with these braids in my hair. I drinched it in S-curl. My hair is so thin and I have been experiencing tremendous breakage and shedding I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed ladies? I do want to do the sew-in challange because I really can't picture myself wearing the protective styles that leave my forehead exposed (I'm another Tyra). I think I may want to wait until we move to Boston this weekend and try to find a good stylist there to do it for me. But what do I do in between time???

Last edited:

karezone

I suggest a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner to help stop or slow the breakage. Call around to some of the hair braiding salons, some of them will braid and hair and sew in the weave for a decent price.

Do you have bangs? I have seen weaves done where the people have been allowed to wear their own bangs in order to cover the forehead. I am self concious about my forehead too but I have learned to love it.

pretty-girl#1

Girl this thread made me go on and get my digital camera! As soon as i learn how to work it I'm going to dO a sew in on sunday and I'm going to take pictures of the whole thing and create me an album! Hopefully, I can show you the proper way to do it! I have to do my cousin's hair this week end too so I'll take pictures of that as well! BTW, I wound't rebraid my hair right back up after putting it through all that stress. Wait a few days and do some conditioner treatments in the mean time and try a wig, fonie pony, or bun until your hair gets back healthy. It's important to have healthy hair before you get a sew in!!!!! Don't think you can just cover up the breakage and in a few weeks it'll all be back normal!:nono: Your hair has to be in top condition before brading it up and make sure to keep the hair moisturized! I've found that the net is the best thing in do it your self sewins! When I take pics you'll see why! Good Luck and HHG!