Master DIY sew-in weavers...HELP!!!

bee

Ladies, I desperately need your help. I attempted my 1st sew-in on my daughter's hair today. It came out cute but my problem is that I'm worried about my method. Here's what I did:
1. Braided about 8 braids from ear to ear and sewed the ends to the braid (Left the top and sides out)
2. Sewed tracks onto the TOP of the braid.

Is that wrong? I can't help but to think damage may result from this method. I need a "safer" way of doing her weaves. Should I have sewn the tracks from the bottom or should I have sewn the track onto the entire braid? BTW, I need a "how to", on weaving w/ a net.

Help me ladies 'cause if it's wrong, me and those cuticle scissors will get busy TONIGHT.

esoterica

it may be better to do the cornrows from hairline to nape, and sew the wefts on going left to right. it puts less stress on the hair. or you could do the cornrows in one big spiral starting from the middle of her hair and working out to the edges.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
8 braids sounds a bit large. here is a picture tutorial that may be helpful:

http://public.fotki.com/weaveitup

if u are using a net, all you need to do is sew the net to the outermost braid(s). it should sit on your hair like this:

all you do is sew the weave hair onto the net. you can use this with the vertical braids.... simply sew to your outermost braids and cut off any excess net. :0)

bee

Thanks, Jadedcynicism and Weaveitup! Her hair is laying pretty flat and it looks very natural. I asked her was it too tight in any area and she said that it's not. I will probably take her hair down this weekend and try JC's rec and with the next weave, I'll definitely use the net.

BTW, weaveitup, I've seen your album and you've got some skillz!

Thanks again, ladies!

Oh, how do I care 4 her hair that's in the braids? Her hair has been the same length for 3 years (nape of the neck). I'm trying to thicken it up and get it to grow. I have a good regimen which includes deep conditioning and pre-shampoo hot oil treatments. I also moisturize it every day. I guess since I've learned to weave, I can have the hairdresser cut it healthy and go from there.

bee

Thanks weaveitup, I will. It's been 2 weeks since I did her hair and already, some tracks are slipping. Is that growth or should I be more concerned?

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
if they arent as snug the braid anymore, its pretty normal. its never happened to me after 2 weeks, but my hair doesnt grow very fast anyway :(

if you want a big of added security to avoid friction on her braided hair, just go back over the wefts with a new piece of thread... it will tighten the weft to the braid again. if you like, you can cut off the old thread when you are done