Sew in ?. My hair is braided what next?

Tresses

I tried searching for how the DIY sew-in ladies achieve a self-install but I can't find any. I was going to let my cousin do it but after she detangled my hair with a fine tooth comb, gave me a mini-face lift by braiding my hair too tight, and started pulling the nape area sections of hair out of the braid with the needle... I had to go.

I decided to do it myself. My boyfriend said that he will help (don't know what with:ohwell: ). I am doing a full sew in of the milky way deep wave. Here are pics of the hair and my braid pattern http://public.fotki.com/luvv/sewin/I am kind of concerned because the parts of the braid are kind of thick in width. Although I do have a net to use.

Do you stand in front of a mirror and try to feel around the back? Do you pre-measure and cut each peice? What about when you get to the top, do you still cut each peice? How do you close your full sew in? How far should I space them in the front, back and top? Any advice or links on how to install would be great.

hothair

I'm sure the other ladies will soon chip in. I start from the back (1)put the uncut weft and measure (from the first conrow on the left side to the last cornrow on the right) then(2) I cut the piece I need. (3) I sew this on to where i measured and repeat this to the top. When I get to the crown area I start to measure the hair from the left side of my front hairline to the right side of my hairline going round the back of my head, cut and then sew it on.

How far you should space them would depend on how full you want it to look, don't leave too much (I say less than 1") so the cornrows don't show through the hair.

When you get right to the top you start making the measurements circular (you should have smaller circles as you to the top). To close, I make a very very tight circle and sew it on, i then separate the hair to cover it.

I really hope this makes sense, my sis is not home if not i would have tried to demonstrate with some pix...

Tresses

thanks gurl. It is kind of hard to imagine w/o seeing it. Do you have someone holding the mirror up for you, ect?

Tresses

Thanks so much hothair. I need a password though b/c it won't let me in. I tried looking in ur profile but there was none

Tresses

Ok, I am doing alright. I have down two tracks so far. I am in my bathroom, I nailed my mirror with the handle to the door and I am taking my time. I'm a little nervous about getting to the top and closing my top. I won't be able to see.

crlsweetie912

You don't really need a mirror
And I don't cut mine. I have been doing this for several years and it makes taking it out a lot easier. How do you plan to hide the last track (at the hairline)?
Hothair I couldn't see your tutorial even with that password.

crlsweetie912

I think Rabia Elaine may have a tutorial in her fotki? Or search for threads about sew ins. I think that there are a couple.

hothair

Lesley pls let me know how you get on, i remember seeing a fotki on a weave tutorial but cannot remember where for the life of me!

Tresses

Thanks hot hair for the tutorial. Like I said, I couldn't find a thread in search on a full head sew in. The ones I found were for half head or some hair left out. I wish I could sew w/o using some sort of mirror. Crlsweeti, you gonna have to put me up on that one.

Here is what I have accomplished thus far in fotki http://public.fotki.com/luvv/sewin/

hothair

You're doing very well! Just make sure there's not too much space between the tracks (wefts);)

hothair

In the circular pattern you're sewing in, as you get to the top the hair covers the weft underneath it easily, so as the circle gets to the finishing point on top there will not be much weft to cover and you will only need that tiny circle (in the last pic) to cover it all up (think of a cone as you get to the top it becomes a point). Just make sure you don't leave much space between the circles as you get closer to this "point". I would say not more than 5cm I think not up to .5" (in American :grin: )

ETA: I've put up a pic I did of a full head curly weave, just so you get an idea of the final result

Last edited:

Tresses

Bare with me now as I am not understanding. Say I am already to that last point. I have all my hair installed except for the circle at the top of my head. Do I continue to sew around and around in this cirle, do I roll up some of the hair and just glue it in like a quick weave, or what?

Thanks for your patience hot hair!

hothair

Make the weft in the small circle then put the needle through it (while in your hand as in the pic), thensew it on to your head [in the small area left that would have had closure]...not sure if this makes any sense, when you're done just fluff the hair around it.

Tresses

Thanks gurl. I think I am done for the night. I have a nize size circle at the top but my arms are killing me:lol:

Imma put on my satin bonnet and fix me a night cap.. Post progress pics in the morning

Tresses

http://public.fotki.com/luvv/sewin/

This is where I am at thus far. I think if I continue to go in a circle, I won't have that height at the top of the crown like I should and it would look funny. It looks like someone hit me in the top of the head with a frying pan.

This has proven to be a job. And take note to my hairline, I need another track there so it will look full, but I am afraid.

I think from now on if I do self installs it won't be a full head:perplexed

Still need comments

Tresses

Re: Sew in ?. Finished look

I'M DONE!!!!

And I must admit I cheated... a little. I began closing my circle and it was too hard for me. For one I couldn't see and my arms were killing me:lol: So I sew until my circle was about nickle size and I rolled a piece of the hair down into the circle and closed it as I would with a quickweave. I think I will be ok since I have a net on underneath.

Anyway from now on I'm only doing partial weaves and thats that!

Here's my finished look:
www.fotki.com/luvv

Thanks for all your help

hothair

Wow! you did brilliantly, it looks like yours:) no seriously. And the colour suits you. It'll be a breeze next time!

Tresses

Its growing on me. I haven't wore a weave since I was a teenager so it'll be a challange. I think I did ok being my first one. I'm still a little disapointed of how I had to close it because this means I will have to reapply it often and I won't be able to moisturize in that area, but all in all I'm pleased. I just hope that I won't have to do any tightning before it's time for me to take it out next month.

I do have a couple of questions though. How do you guys take care of your hair underneath and how often? Also would I get the same affect if I were just to braid my hair up and wear a wig, half wigs for a month or so. I am thinking it's the same concept but I need to get clearance (lhcf) first:lol:

hothair

lesley said:
I do have a couple of questions though. How do you guys take care of your hair underneath and how often? Also would I get the same affect if I were just to braid my hair up and wear a wig, half wigs for a month or so. I am thinking it's the same concept but I need to get clearance (lhcf) first:lol:

Well I put diluted shampoo in a spray bottle and spray as close to my scalp as possible and then use the shower head to rinse off (holding it close to my head so the jets can help dislodge any gunk), i then dilute humectress and do the same, I do this once a week. Everyday I spray diluted MNT conditioner on the hair that I can reach and at night put my vatika oil on my scalp with an applicator bottle.

About the wig, this what I do with my lacefront, I cornrow my hair then put on my wig cap and use hairpins to secure the lacefront. I can then wash and treat my hair as frequently as I like. (only thing is i can't keep the scissors out my hair so if i have to refresh the cornrows every week or two i tend to "trim":ohwell: )

HTH enjoy your new look!

Tresses

Ok so it hasn't been a week yet and my sew in looks a HOT MESS! The satin bonnet shrinks my curls at night so I just finger comb in the morning. It started looking pufffy so I used some wet and wavy moose and it is still puffy but now a little hard.

Just needed to know how you girls keep your human curly looking good. I am about to wash today b/c my scalp has been itching like crazy for the past three days.

Is this normal with sew ins?