Marley Hair/Kinky Hair for braiding

Mahogony7

Where can I buy Marley Hair/Kinky Hair for braiding online?

Hey ladies. Does anyone know where I can get marley hair online and is it the same as kinky hair? I've seen lots of people on here and yt using it. I want to do some crochet braids and havana twists with it. I have a few questions.

How much does a pack usually cost you?

What price would you consider too much for a pack?

How many packs do you need for senaglese twists or havana twists?

How long does it last?

Is it ok to wash it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

hnntrr

I think marley hair and Havana hair are two different types. I can't tell you for sure nt can I tell you where I buy it but as far as your other questions go:
I buy mine at the BSS, Marley hair is usually around 4/5 bucks in store it may be cheaper online. I wouldn't consider more than 7 bucks per pack.

Depending on how long you want your twists it can be anywhere from 4-10 packs. I did 4 packs on shoulder length twists.

I can only keep twists/braids for two/three weeks at a time but I have heard they can last longer.

You can wash them you just have to make sure they dry completely (wash like once a week or every two weeks) and then there are things you can do to keep them from slipping out or even just keeping your scalp clean in between washes.

I have started using kanekalon hair for my Havana twists because the kinky/Marley hair snagged so bad I had to cut it out. But that's just my head:)

NaturalfienD

Mahogony7

Does anyone know where I can get marley hair online and is it the same as kinky hair?

I usually purchase Marley hair from my local BSS. I think the Marley hair is different from the hair used in kinky twists but I'm uncertain.

I've paid between $5-$7 bucks, depending on the brand of hair/how much they've jacked the price because it is such high demand. I don't have a website to share with you though … if you find one, DM me. :grin:

I think anything over seven is too much unless you're getting a grip of hair in a pack or it's really long hair.

I tend to get seven packs, with a little left over to redo the twists that get loose/the parameter.

How long does it last?

I've kept my twists in for two months at a time. It takes me hours to do my hair (due to the length and size) and I'll be damned if I don't get all that I can from the style. My hair has been up for a month now, I'm redoing the edges soon and will do a full take down in mid/late December.

Is it ok to wash it?

I co-wash once a week (or biweekly if time slips past me) with no unraveling/tangling. I think my hair looks better as time goes on in this style. Dope.

PS- I like soaking the hair in a sink filled with hot water and one cup of vinegar to remove chemicals from that the manufacturer (read this about synthetic hair in general). I don't notice the film from the chemicals with Marley hair BUT the water/vinegar mix leaves the hair much softer than it feels coming out of the bag.

It takes a little practice to get a hang of the hair but you'll get it. Good luck …

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Re: Where can I buy Marley Hair/Kinky Hair for braiding online?

Mahogony7

First and foremost, do not bother ordering any Havana Hair from Fingercomber. The vendor is currently going through something because she is taking folks payments but not sending out merchandise.

Janet Collection NOIR Afro Kinky Bulk
$9.99 for 1b
$10.99 for any other color
Everybody else I see online outside of L.A. says they get it for $5.99 though. :ohwell:

$12.99 for the Fingercomber was as high as I was prepared to go.

I don't do my kinky twists as large as Havana twists so I can get away with 2.5 packs of hair.

How long does it last?
minimum 4 weeks, I've kept them in as long as 8. I just get sick of the colored hair quickly.

Is it ok to wash it? Yep.

I've seen alot of youtube reviews where the Femi braiding hair was used as a substitute for the Fingercomber hair with good results. I've never used it though. Search Femi braiding on youtube to see how many packs people used. You can get the hair from e-classy fashion for $4.99 a pack. Femi Hair Hair Sisters also has Sensational brand braiding hair for under $10/pack.
I've ordered wigs (but not braiding hair) from both vendors without a problem.

The EON Nubi Nubi and Spring Twist hair is pretty good too but it's at the higher end $11.99/pack. EON Hair

Mahogony7

Ladies thanks a bunch for the info and vendors. I greatly appreciate it. I've been seeing it online for $10-$20 a pack and I usually require 8-10 packs if I'm using synthetic hair.

Crackers Phinn, I definitely had Finger Comber on the brain. It's such a shame that orders aren't going out. I really want one of those wigs, they're beautiful and affordable.

naturalmanenyc

Mahogony7

You can find Marley hair at a beauty supply store for $4.99 - $6.99 usually.

I've got 3 packs of finger comber hair for $12.99 each plus shipping ($45.75 total). My order was totally wrong but Lisa Bailey had a guy hand deliver the right hair after 5 emails and 2 photos when she admitted I had been sent the wrong hair. I've been planning to install for months but still haven't done it.

I spoke to a stylist who worked with Lisa (creator of Havana twists) and she insists I need 5 packs of hair, but she doesn't sell it. Most videos I've seen with the twists I prefer were done with 3 -4 packs of finger comber hair. I can't imagine 5 packs of hair in my head. The finger comber hair is reusable. I have 3 packs and they have 44-46-48 pre-sectioned strands in each pack.

A woman that I took swimming lessons with this summer had Havana twists done by Lisa Bailey ($175) and they supposedly last 12 weeks (3 months). They can be washed.

I have used Marley hair and the texture of the Finger Comber hair is softer and more natural looking to me. The Havana hair is textured toyokalon. I used Marley hair in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp5auzzT0P0

I never braided my own hair and had no idea Marley hair was so rough on the hands.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Mahogony7

I forgot to add, finger comber hair does not have a sheen like Marley hair. DH says finger comber hair blends better (he compared them loose, not installed) since my natural hair does not have a sheen either.

Last edited: