Kinky Twists -- How many packs of hair?

BrownSkin2

How many packs of hair do you use when doing kinky twists? I made an appointment to get kinky twists and the stylist told me to get 6 packs of Marley Braids hair. Isn't that too many?? In the past 2 1/2 packs was used, but it's been a long while since I've gotten them..

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
That does seem like too many. I think I have an average size head, (never been told its small nor too big) I use just under 2 packs, I cut the pack in half, so this is probably 24".

I mean if you plan to get them done again, you'll always have the hair on hand. But if you do get 6 packs, and bring them all, keep your hair close to, and hand the pack to the stylist as need. Shoot, I had a few try to keep my extra hair. But I was like nah uh, where dat hair at? I ain't use alladem packs :bat:

faithVA

I buy 3 packs and my hair is medium density. Buy 6 packs just in case, keep the receipt and return them if you don't need them.

How long is your hair? Shouldn't matter but just curious.

I think 3 is enough.

DivineNapps1728

It may vary with the brand of hair used & the desired length, but I always use 5-6 packs of hair when installing kinky twists. I do prefer smaller twists though & I don't cut the extensions in half.

faithVA

It may vary with the brand of hair used & the desired length, but I always use 5-6 packs of hair when installing kinky twists. I do prefer smaller twists though & I don't cut the extensions in half.[/QUOTE]

That is probably why she wants so many packs. She probably is not going to cut them. I do cut mine in half but my hair is still on the short side.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
2 ppl that helped me get it on YouTube are afrikanhairgod & torrinda77. Mook's hair helped too. I'm on my phone & don't have links. Sry, but they should come up on the search on YouTube.

BrownSkin2

I buy 3 packs and my hair is medium density. Buy 6 packs just in case, keep the receipt and return them if you don't need them.

How long is your hair? Shouldn't matter but just curious.

I think 3 is enough.

My hair is APL with medium density. Okay, I'll keep my receipt just in case to return unused packs.

Nonie

Not sure if this helps but whether twists or braids, I don't think you should use more hair than your own hair's pony tail would make otherwise it just look so obviously "extra". More than 2 packs IMO is would be too much for me, especially if folding the hair like Mook's Hair does. Even when using human hair, whose packs are smaller than synthetic, I use a little more than one pack--and I have fine strands--but I do fold...so I suppose that makes a difference. 2 packs is what was used on my hair when I had kinky twists done as a teen or when I used to get braids done at the salon in Kenya...which is how the number 2 became my guide.

ETA: 2.5 packs may be enough as before, OP. But like faithVA said, you can take back what isn't used. If your stylist has you divide the hair as she's twisting, you won't waste a lot of the hair so may just use the same as before.

Chameleonchick

If you are not doing them long I couldn't imagine you using more than 3 packs. I ALWAYS do long kinky twists and I use no more than 6 packs at full length which is a little past waist length on me. So if you want it to be half the length it would only be 3.

chickory_bee

It depends on the braider. I have been wearing Kinky Twists for years now and I have been to 3 people...One uses 6+, the second (a stylist in some LA shop) used 1.5 (and I HATED it) and the last person (my actual staple girl) uses 3+ depending on the length. Honestly, the braiders technique combined with the size and desired length of the twists and your actual hair length and density.

Take what she asks for, but make sure you let her know what you want (I am not a fan of heavy hair...but everyone is different)

Caramelangel247

It takes me 5 packs of hair if I don't cut them and 2.5 if I do short ones.

Even this much is too much hair but anything less is TOO thin and doesn't look right :ohwell:

Wash day I have to be careful about how I wash my hair so all the weight doesn't pull on my hair and I need to use larger hairbands. . . but they are so cute! :grin: