major haircut recommendation & the maximum length theory

sunshinebeautiful

I'm visiting at home for Christmas and was in need of a touchup on my relaxer, so I enlisted my best friend (a licensed cosmetologist). My relaxer came out beautifully and she went through and flat ironed. She commented that my ends needed trimming, so I let her go ahead and trim about 1/2 inch off of my ends. When she was almost finished, she said to me that she really should have cut off more. :eek: She said that the left side of my hair really needed the additional length taken off more so than my right side. She showed me the ends that she was talking about. They were visibly frizzier than the rest of my hair (and mostly on one side of my head), which she says is damage, and the only solution is to cut.

I'm really upset about this. She basically recommended that I get a major haircut. :mad: I didn't let her go back and cut more hair on the hopes that I can gradually trim it away. On one hand I tell myself I'm being silly and need to take her advice and just go ahead and cut my hair. But the other part of me is very upset about even thinking about a haircut, hoping that it isn't really necessary, and this is some beauty school b.s. It's not like I have split ends. My hair isn't breaking off all over the place. Could it be that the ends are just frizzy and not damaged?

Also.... has anyone heard of this? She told me a theory about how my hair on my left side is the "short side" and it may have reached its maximum length, saying that it might reach this length again, become damaged and break off. Now I totally don't buy this because I've had longer hair than this before. It's not even shoulder length and she's talking about its at maximum length. :confused: I don't think so. :mad:

I'm so freaking frustrated and upset right now. I've been taking really good care of my hair since beginning my journey a few months ago. I feel like she's telling me I have to start at zero again and I'm feeling like I won't ever meet my hair goals. I am so discouraged right now.

navsegda

sunshinebeautiful said:
They were visibly frizzier than the rest of my hair (and mostly on one side of my head), which she says is damage, and the only solution is to cut.

It's not like I have split ends. My hair isn't breaking off all over the place. Could it be that the ends are just frizzy and not damaged?

Wow, I am SO SICK and tired of some stylists thinking the only solution is to cut, cut, cut. Ok, if you don't have split ends and your ends are just frizzy, then they are not damaged. Lots of things can make hair frizz up (humidity in the air, sweat, etc). Frizzy doesn't equal damaged. You can moisturize your ends really well and then seal the moisture in with oil and that should take care of that problem. Also, I like Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk; it can really smooth out your ends.

Last edited:

navsegda

And no, I haven't heard of that theory because it's totally wack. Where in the world did she come up with something so false? Your left side has reached its maximum length? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your hair is gonna keep growing from the ROOTS and the only thing that will prevent it from being longer is her cutting off the new length. She just wants to cut to try to "even" your hair up. Please please send her to this forum.

CAPlush

Max length is 3-4 inches??? I don't think so! You do have a maximum length that has to do with your growth rate and the length of your growth cycle, but I would be shocked if it was less than midback.

Anyways, you can rebuild your damaged hair using reconstructors. Frizz can come from anything. Damage, moisture, dryness, underprocessed hair, etc.

GlamourGirl

I so agree with the other posts. That is totally NOT your terminal length. Don't listen to her or get discouraged because she truly needs to be reeducated!:confused:

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I had frizzy ends...about 2 inches and my stylist wanted to cut them off but it just didn't feel right so I didn't allow it.

I've been baggying my ends everynight and they are no longer frizzy. I went to my stylist and all of the sudden my ends no longer needed trimming. It must have been a hair miracle *rolls eyes*

If they're not splitting, I think friziness is something that can be taken care of without losing your ends.

Mystic

Don't listen to her - your hair looks very healthy! Sometimes my hair is so frizzy and I desparately feel tempted to cut. When I feel like that, I do a conditioning wash daily put it in a bun a leave it alone. Shortly after my hair will look so beautiful, full of body and longer. If everytime I have frizzy hair I cut it off then I won't have much hair left! Don't let anyone tell you what you should do with your hair.......

sunshinebeautiful

navsegda said:
Wow, I am SO SICK and tired of some stylists thinking the only solution is to cut, cut, cut. Ok, if you don't have split ends and your ends are just frizzy, then they are not damaged. Lots of things can make hair frizz up (humidity in the air, sweat, etc). Frizzy doesn't equal damaged. You can moisturize your ends really well and then seal the moisture in with oil and that should take care of that problem. Also, I like Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk; it can really smooth out your ends.

This is why I didn't let her cut my hair any further. I really didn't think my hair was damaged at all. I was also wondering if it was the humidity that was causing the frizziness b/c I'm visiting Florida right now from Michigan. I'm going to try the smoothing milk and moisturizing and sealing my ends to see if it helps at all.

I'll try the Smoothing Milk to see if it helps out.

sunshinebeautiful

AlexB7 said:
I had frizzy ends...about 2 inches and my stylist wanted to cut them off but it just didn't feel right so I didn't allow it.

I've been baggying my ends everynight and they are no longer frizzy. I went to my stylist and all of the sudden my ends no longer needed trimming. It must have been a hair miracle *rolls eyes*

If they're not splitting, I think friziness is something that can be taken care of without losing your ends.

Hmmm.... further confirmation that these stylists don't necessarily know what's going on. I'm so glad now that I didn't let her cut my hair off. I'm going to try the baggying as well.

Miss.Que

I really do not think that you should cut anymore length off. If she snipped the split ends off then you should be fine. Maybe the frizzy ends is underprocessed hair (didn't you just recently go from natural hair to a relaxer?). JMHO :)

Lucia

AlexB7 said:

:lol: yeah Alelujah.

Good for you for sticking to your guns and not giving into an additional trim. I agree with the other ladies, frizz does not mean damaged. I am sure you can revive them with the baggie method or giving them special moisture attention.

Hair Iam

Baggying is the key about 2 months ago my end were frizzy. I focused on baggying for a sold week. Problem solved. If you’re hair is too short for one pony tail, then section in 4 and baggie each plat. Using coconut, castor oil, olive oil, worked for me. Not me personally but I've even seen others use Vaseline just on the ends.

Protect your hair fro scissor monsters
:mad:

MzOptimistic

sunshinebeautiful said:
I'm visiting at home for Christmas and was in need of a touchup on my relaxer, so I enlisted my best friend (a licensed cosmetologist). My relaxer came out beautifully and she went through and flat ironed. She commented that my ends needed trimming, so I let her go ahead and trim about 1/2 inch off of my ends. When she was almost finished, she said to me that she really should have cut off more. :eek: She said that the left side of my hair really needed the additional length taken off more so than my right side. She showed me the ends that she was talking about. They were visibly frizzier than the rest of my hair (and mostly on one side of my head), which she says is damage, and the only solution is to cut.

I'm really upset about this. She basically recommended that I get a major haircut. :mad: I didn't let her go back and cut more hair on the hopes that I can gradually trim it away. On one hand I tell myself I'm being silly and need to take her advice and just go ahead and cut my hair. But the other part of me is very upset about even thinking about a haircut, hoping that it isn't really necessary, and this is some beauty school b.s. It's not like I have split ends. My hair isn't breaking off all over the place. Could it be that the ends are just frizzy and not damaged?

Also.... has anyone heard of this? She told me a theory about how my hair on my left side is the "short side" and it may have reached its maximum length, saying that it might reach this length again, become damaged and break off. Now I totally don't buy this because I've had longer hair than this before. It's not even shoulder length and she's talking about its at maximum length. :confused: I don't think so. :mad:

I'm so freaking frustrated and upset right now. I've been taking really good care of my hair since beginning my journey a few months ago. I feel like she's telling me I have to start at zero again and I'm feeling like I won't ever meet my hair goals. I am so discouraged right now.

I think because your ends were just frizzy and not damaged that your ends could use a little TLC..like up your deep conditioning and baggy your ends and they should be fine...:p

MzOptimistic

AlexB7 said:

I agree ALEXB7, baggying those ends and deep conditioning is what turned my frizzy ends around....and now I do not have major split ends...meaning I do not need trims often...in fact last time I had a trim was like 6 months ago and I don't plan on getting another trim until June 2007. I never use heat in my hair and my ends are ALWAYS baggied 24/7 so that could be why I get away with trims. I used heat once this summer when I maxi-glided well when my friend maxi-glided my hair and she said my ends are fine and she's a stylist but she don't try to cut my hair all the time..she's the ONLY one I let trim my hair. She stays in Mississippi and I stay in Illinois so the next time my ends will get trimmed is when she come back in June:)

LocksOfLuV

navsegda said:

EXACTLY! I totally agree with this.