Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

maxineshaw

I am in the midst of cutting knots off my ends. I have discovered some strands that have 3/4 knots on a single piece of hair. I never feel like I have progress, but then again I can be very inconsistent with my routine.

claud-uk

So I noticed when I'm washing my hair my ends feel really soft and smooth but I'm not sure how to keep it that way because even though I am heavy sealing it still feels really rough so what do you guys think I'm doing wrong???

Babygrowth,

What a good question. I wish that I knew the answer! Could trimming help?

I personally wouldn't trim just bc of rough feeling ends, UNLESS they are visibly damaged or split. Have you tried using ACV, AVG or sth similar to lay your cuticles down, maybe a light protein added to your M&S/LOC before heavy sealing or a butter on the ends? I would try and find the cause of the dry ends first and would only use scissors as a last resort - who knows, you could trim them off and then the new ends start to feel rough within a couple of weeks.

Babygrowth

Babygrowth,

What a good question. I wish that I knew the answer! Could trimming help?
Honestly I probably could use a mini one but I'm holding off until May.
do you air dry? I stopped doing that. My ends were always rough and dry. I always had to apply a bunch of product to keep them smooth. Now I sit under the dryer and/or blow dry on cool.
I have been air drying and I know that's a no no but I've been too lazy to blow dry. That ends today
I personally wouldn't trim just bc of rough feeling ends, UNLESS they are visibly damaged or split. Have you tried using ACV, AVG or sth similar to lay your cuticles down, maybe a light protein added to your M&S/LOC before heavy sealing or a butter on the ends? I would try and find the cause of the dry ends first and would only use scissors as a last resort - who knows, you could trim them off and then the new ends start to feel rough within a couple of weeks.

Good point. I will try my protein leave in because I have also noticed short broken hairs which means I'm slacking. I forgot about my leave in with avj. I used to use it every wash to help seal. Got lazy with that. Need to write this stuff in my haircare regimen note.

cynd

I'm in. I feel like I've been stuck at around APL for 2 years. I pay lots of attention to my scalp so I'm hoping paying special attention to my ends will help me make progress this year.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: Technically relaxed but I haven't had a touchup since Feb 2013 and I'm not officially committed to transitioning so, I think I'm officially etc

2. Current Hair Length
APL (except the top which has its own issues)

3. Why are you joining this challenge?
I want to maximize retention

4. What have you tried to improve your ends?
Moisturizing and sealing, dusting, protective styling

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?
I will be more diligent in moisturizing and heavy sealing my ends and try to be more gentle when I detangle which is a consistent problem for me.

6. Will you update us 1x a month?
Yes

Last edited:

Ebonybunny

My senegalese twists are officially in, I put my leave in spritz (I think the brand is curls(z?) got it at target ) in a bottle that easier to spray thouroughly, and I sealed with morracon oil argan oil spritz... Im worried that I wont be able to tell if my hair is being properly moisturized with this daily combo until its too late o_O

PlainJane

Anyone heavy sealing in here? How do you style your hair? Any luck being able to wear your hair down without it feeling too product heavy?

faithVA

So I noticed when I'm washing my hair my ends feel really soft and smooth but I'm not sure how to keep it that way because even though I am heavy sealing it still feels really rough so what do you guys think I'm doing wrong???

Perhaps you need something to close the cuticle a bit more on your ends. Maybe try a little aloe vera on the ends before you seal or bring one of your moisturizing products down to a ph of 4 to 5.5 with aloe vera/acv or citric acid. And then seal.

Pennefeather

I've never used ACV rinse although I did buy some a few months ago. What is the proper way to use? Does it need to be diluted? Also, will this help my ends to be smoother if I use it regularly?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I sectioned my hair and spritzed it with avj. Then I detangled and added some Hello Hydration to the ends. All the moisture made my hair poof a bit, but I like the extra volume :rocker:

toaster

I've been heavy sealing with my twistouts nightly, but with my hair weight and texture it's going to start straightening out as the days go by no matter what. I go from a curly style on day 1 to a loose wavy style on day 4, but I try to enjoy it all.

meka72

Yesterday, I M&S'ed with some liquid leave ins, QB burdock root butter cream, QB amla & olive heavy cream and sealed with QB aethiopika twist butter. My hair feels good and my ends feel and look especially smooth.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I just cut 1.5 inches off. My ends were tangling together when I washed it so it was about that time. I didn't even feel bothered cutting it either since I know it will grow back in no time anyway. At this point I'm just going to use protein and Shea butter on my ends.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

meka72

I've never used ACV rinse although I did buy some a few months ago. What is the proper way to use? Does it need to be diluted? Also, will this help my ends to be smoother if I use it regularly?

Not claud-uk but you should dilute the ACV. You want to start with a very diluted solution and work your way up to a stronger solution of necessary. I think that I started with 1 teaspoon:16 ounces of water.

My ends were very rough until I started to focus on them. I started by adding an extra layer of whatever I was moisturizing and sealing with. I added a protein spray (Aphogee pro-vitamin leave in) and followed it with a moisturizing/non-protein leave in. I moisturized and sealed my ends every night/every other night for 2 weeks and it turned my ends around. Now, I usually M&S my ends every other night even if I don't do anything else.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I will be bunning daily for the next week. I moisturize in the evening, wrap at night and bun in the morning. My hair seems really hydrated and soft.

I am trying to infuse my hair with moisture before I get my next blowout. All the back to back straightening can ruin elasticity... So I'm slowly making my hair revert by moisturizing daily and wearing a baggy.

Adiatasha

image-1699389294.jpg

Zoom in on that pic. Do Yall see those SSK's!!!!!!!!

UGHHHHHHH

I'm just super super annoyed. That's why she stays in a weave. All I ask for is just for a little cooperation. Sigh.. Ok I'm done venting.

So my plan is to take the weave out. Do a terressentials mud wash, Deep condition with AO then leave in with KCNT and a blow out.

Will that work?

claud-uk

View attachment 294225

Zoom in on that pic. Do Yall see those SSK's!!!!!!!!

UGHHHHHHH

I'm just super super annoyed. That's why she stays in a weave. All I ask for is just for a little cooperation. Sigh.. Ok I'm done venting.

So my plan is to take the weave out. Do a terressentials mud wash, Deep condition with AO then leave in with KCNT and a blow out.

Will that work?

Adiatasha I don't have the best eyesight but all the SSKS that I see all seem to be approx the same distance from the ends of your hair, about 0.5" from the ends?

Pennefeather - meka72 gave great advice, I've nothing more to add except you can buy pH testing strips from ebay or a chemist to make sure your products are in the right range (4.5 - 5.5)

Ebonybunny

TIL : Biotin and/or garlic pills are sincerely not meant to be taken on an empty stomach. The cramps have been horrible! :(

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My ends are fantastic, but my roots are so puffy that I can't do anything with my hair. I will either be bunning or wigging it for work tomorrow.

meka72

I've used Qhemet Biologics burdock root, amla & olive heavy cream and aethiopika twist butter for the last two wash days. My hair feels great, especially my ends. They are moist and smooth.

Joigirl

I retwisted my hair and added Sarenzo Twisting cream as my styler, focusing on my ends. I love that cream!

toaster

I'm getting used to using more product. My hair and ends seem to appreciate the extra butter on the ends so I'll keep it up.

I'm trying to get to March before I start practicing roller sets again. Need to make sure my hair has recovered from the month of pseudo neglect first.

claud-uk

I got back home last night, did a 45 min pre-poo with ORS Replenenishing Con, cowashed with neutrLab Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, ACV rinse, oil rinse with sunflower oil, then another 5-10 mins with ORS - my hair felt stiff as I applied this, so I think the ACV rinse wasn't didiluted enough, and that I should have used a moisture-only conditioner after the ACV and oil rinse.

Hair was VERY stiff as I applied my LOC! It was clumping so hard lol. African Pride LI, almond oil then Elasta QP Mango Butter.

My ends are beginning to split quite noticeably in my bang area now, but are not so bad in the rest of my hair from what I can see. Once I do a trim I will start braiding the bangs at night instead of twisting, see if this reduces the damage to them. Also only braiding every second night instead of daily, to reduce manipulation.