Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

faithVA

[USER=62383 said:
claud-uk[/USER];21075707]faithVA did you have a problem with splits in the past or is this a new issue? Also (OT), have you ever tried Cassia?

I've always had problems with splits. However, a visit to a stylist in 2013 took it to a whole new level. I ended up with splits all the way up the shaft, all over my head. To prevent another big chop I have just been doing search and destroys for a whole year :sad: I've finally gotten near the end of it.

No I've not tried Cassia. Since I'm lo porosity I tend to not do too many things that lay on the surface of my hair because it just seems to make it drier. I tried henna for a while but :nono: I've been reluctant to do anything similar since then.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I moisturized with silk touch cream and sealed with argan oil. I wore my hair pulled up all day. Now my edges are tied down with Hello Hydration and castor oil. I might work out later and I want my edges to stay flat.

Ebonybunny

Any day now my heated conditioning cap should be arriving and I can finally DC :D Now to figure out how to do it in this kanekelon twists

claud-uk

Ladies, I have a question/need advice:

Last wash session was moisture-based: verrry light protein/EVOO pre-poo, cowash, oil rinse then moisturizing DC. Hair was soft and fluffy, felt great after.

The wash session before that one was probably 50% moisture 50% protein: pre-poo, cleansing conditioner, ACV, oil rinse, DC. My hair was stiff and very clumpy after, I believe I used too much protein and/or the ACV wasn't diluted enough.

Tonight hair was extremely soft and very very quick to accept moisture when LOC, but I noticed lots of very short broken ends when handling. Do I need more protein or more moisture in my next wash session?

Thanks in advance for your input, also posting on the Random Thoughts thread as I will be washing tomorrow so need help asap!

blackeyes31626

My hair was soft after I rinsed out my dc(SD avocado). But the QB hohb,moringa tree, brbc and ahtb made it feel a little weird, hopefully it'll be soft in the morning.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I dry shampood my hair with Suave Keratin infusions and it made my ends frizzy on one side. I have more body and less oil, but the smell is overwhelming. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Applied SSI Seyani butter to the bottom half of my length.

Ladies, I have a question/need advice:

Last wash session was moisture-based: verrry light protein/EVOO pre-poo, cowash, oil rinse then moisturizing DC. Hair was soft and fluffy, felt great after.

The wash session before that one was probably 50% moisture 50% protein: pre-poo, cleansing conditioner, ACV, oil rinse, DC. My hair was stiff and very clumpy after, I believe I used too much protein and/or the ACV wasn't diluted enough.

Tonight hair was extremely soft and very very quick to accept moisture when LOC, but I noticed lots of very short broken ends when handling. Do I need more protein or more moisture in my next wash session?

Thanks in advance for your input, also posting on the Random Thoughts thread as I will be washing tomorrow so need help asap!

How does your hair feel otherwise? I would do a moisturizing deep conditioner and monitor my hair for the week.

claud-uk

Thanks NappyNelle - after the last moisture wash session 5 days ago it has been feeling crunchy in the mornings aftef doing LOC the night before, so two nights ago I decided to switch things up and do OLC. Last night did LOC as usual and the length of the hair was really soft before applying any product, and using half the usual amount of LI left my hair saturated... yet lots of shirt broken ends.

I'm really confused :perplexed

Evolving78

Ladies, I have a question/need advice: Last wash session was moisture-based: verrry light protein/EVOO pre-poo, cowash, oil rinse then moisturizing DC. Hair was soft and fluffy, felt great after. The wash session before that one was probably 50% moisture 50% protein: pre-poo, cleansing conditioner, ACV, oil rinse, DC. My hair was stiff and very clumpy after, I believe I used too much protein and/or the ACV wasn't diluted enough. Tonight hair was extremely soft and very very quick to accept moisture when LOC, but I noticed lots of very short broken ends when handling. Do I need more protein or more moisture in my next wash session? Thanks in advance for your input, also posting on the Random Thoughts thread as I will be washing tomorrow so need help asap!
yeah no protein next wash. You need more moisture.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My ends look like crap in the sun. I'm doing my next search and destroy outside :(

I just moisturized and sealed. Now my hair is in a bun so I can clean this house.

FoxxyLocs

Here's a pic from yesterday. I trimmed maybe 1/2 inch before the pic. The mirror streaks are from conditioner. I'm hoping to grow out the V shape this year.

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I'm over here :drool: @FoxxyLocs. What issue are you having with your ends?

When I started this challenge maybe a year or two ago, I was having trouble with single strand knots and had to keep trimming back to waist length.

I started wearing my hair straight more often and got over the hump. I reached HL last year and now I'm just working on growing out my V shape to full U.

So really the only issue is that I don't like the shape of my hemline. :look:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Thanks @NappyNelle - after the last moisture wash session 5 days ago it has been feeling crunchy in the mornings aftef doing LOC the night before, so two nights ago I decided to switch things up and do OLC. Last night did LOC as usual and the length of the hair was really soft before applying any product, and using half the usual amount of LI left my hair saturated... yet lots of shirt broken ends.

I'm really confused :perplexed

claud-uk What products are you using? The weather has made my hair extra extra dry, even with daily moisturizing and sealing. I've been DCing once a week to help combat it.

claud-uk

claud-uk What products are you using? The weather has made my hair extra extra dry, even with daily moisturizing and sealing. I've been DCing once a week to help combat it.

Thanks NappyNelle. I've been using African Pride leave in, a mix of almond/EVOO/Castor and WGO, and then Elasta QP Mango Butter to LOC. Put hair in two braids, and a dab of Mizani Butter Rich to the very ends of each braid.

I do this at night before covering with my satin scarf and going to sleep. Hair has been very crunchy on taking the scarf off and undoing the braids in the morning - very defined from the braids but so crunchy, something that hasn't happened in the 3 years I've been on my HHJ.

I LOC/M&S every night, DC once a week too, and have stopped using shampoo since July 2014.

Ebonybunny

I found out this morning that my conditioning cap was never going to arrive D: I am so upset, the store didnt have the item in stock and cancelled my order! They are still showing it as an available item too :( Im sooooo disappointed! i ordered it again, from a different store w 2 day shipping... I wanna DC >_<

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm going to moisturize from root to tip tonight. Usually I only moisturize my ends, but thr rest of my hair needs love too.

Evolving78

I got my rollers today. I would love to try them out tonight... My hair has been in a bun all week. I have just been oiling my hair

Dee Raven

I had a great wash day. I used It's a 10 Deep conditioner, and using it less frequently has definitely worked better. Before my hair would feel kind of hard when I used It's a 10 (I would use it every other week) but today my hair came out so soft and moisturized. I loved it. Detangling was such a dream.

And I think I'm going to have to rethink the PM Tea Tree Conditioner. I tried my beloved Nioxin 5, I'm down to the very end of the bottle, and it surprisingly didn't feel any different than the Paul Mitchell, so I think I will save my money. Also, and more importantly, I had the least shedding I've had in years this week after using the PM shampoo. It was like less than a quarter. WOW!

Lastly, the finger detangling prior to regular detangling is a win, win, win. Before I shampoo I've been using the Aussie 3 minute conditioner on my sopping wet ends in the shower and finger detangle. I think it is really helping me cut down on the ssks. Hallelujah!

claud-uk

Great post Dee Raven, thanks!

I'm not sure if my shedding has increased dramatically the last few months or if it's bc the hairs are longer; last night I was LOC and I just passed my hand over one side of my hair and a TON of hair... but when I counted there were only 3 hairs.Either way I'm not comfortable with the size of the shed hair balls, was thinking of starting to use shampoo again but ONLY on my scalp, maybe the the follicles are clogged from months of no poo and it's making me shed lots.

The PM TT Poo sounds wonderful, I might incorporate this 1x monthly scalp only if I can find it.

toaster

I've been reading everyone's posts but my hair has pretty much stayed the same so I'm just chugging along...

Ebonybunny

My conditioning cap came on saturday :D Im so happy, Im going to mix my darcy's pumpkin dc + avocado oil + olive oil + honey and give my hair a well deserved (3 weeks since install) dc . My hair isnt crazy dry atm, I've been diligent with my african pride spray, and a cowash (only one :p), but it needs more serious moisture. Its so cold out here in CT!

faithVA

My moisture retention is getting better. Wore a twist out all weekend and no drastic SSKs when I washed yesterday. That's a major improvement.

claud-uk

^^^ faithVA what do you think the increased moisture retention is due to? Are you using new products or changed your regi recently? PLEASE SHARE lol!

faithVA

^^^ faithVA what do you think the increased moisture retention is due to? Are you using new products or changed your regi recently? PLEASE SHARE lol!

I changed my regi. I've been doing the MHM method and just started doing my hair every 3 days. I'm finally starting to see it payoff. I was able to wear two strand twist last week without them drying out.