Low Porosity Support Thread

*Frisky*

Are they styling products or leave-ins? If they are stylers then you would want it to close the cuticle but if it's leave-in's than not so much.

They are stylers/gels. It could be a combo of thing but my hair doesn't look as good with thinner gels which are the ones with the aloe vera juice.

faithVA

They are stylers/gels. It could be a combo of thing but my hair doesn't look as good with thinner gels which are the ones with the aloe vera juice.

Maybe it is the consistency of the gel and not the aloe vera. In any case, at least you know they don't work for you, so you can drop them from your stash.

candy626

Oh ok...well maybe there is still hope if I can get my cuticles to open up before I use it. I have several styling products with aloe vera juice in them and they work very marginal on my hair compared to other products.

Never knew this about aloe. Glad I read this because I just bought proclaim activator gel that has aloe and protein. It got rave reviews on Sally's.com.

I'm still going to try it, but I will layer it on top of my leave in, to seal. I guess I will need to avoid using it when my hair has not been properly moisturized. Hopefully it won't be another fail. My hair is so finicky with gels and products with protein but I couldn't help but fall for the reviews.

suns4i6e

As we've learned so many times before on this board, each head of hair is an individual. My hair absolutely loves aloe in styling products!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I didn't know that aloe vera juice closes the cuticle so it may not benefit low porosity hair. I am almost certain this is true for at least my hair because I can not get my hair to act right when I use products that have aloe vera juice as one of the main ingredients.
*Frisky*, I cannot use straight avj but can use some products that contain avj. I find it's all about the formulation of the product. Unfortunately, I never know if my hair will like or reject it until I try it.

HeChangedMyName

checking in for my DD who is 6 yrs old and super low porosity. I'm about to mix up some chicoro's pre-poo that someone suggested to me. Here is her hair dry and WET. . . .can't tell its wet can ya. :ohwell: The water just bounces off

Attachments

• IMG_20120826_155512.jpg
    IMG_20120826_155512.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20120826_160512.jpg
    IMG_20120826_160512.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 0611211459.jpg
    0611211459.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

faithVA

checking in for my DD who is 6 yrs old and super low porosity. I'm about to mix up some chicoro's pre-poo that someone suggested to me. Here is her hair dry and WET. . . .can't tell its wet can ya. :ohwell: The water just bounces off

Let us know how it goes. I have only tried her prepoo twice but don't remember the results. I do have a jar of coconut oil and I said I was going to try it again.

faithVA

As I was driving home I was thinking, hmm maybe I'm not apply enough product to my hair. I have used the kimmay tube leave in before and it worked ok, so I figured I would start with that. I also realized I have been making it incorrectly :nono: So I mixed up Giovanni Direct, AVG, sunflower/grapeseed oil & olive/castor oil.

I cowashed and put on a white t-shirt to absorb some of the water. I put on half of the kimmay tube leave-in. I sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes. Then I applied more of the kimmay tube leave-in.

I will have to let it dry over night to see how it turns out. But its worth a try.

HeChangedMyName

As I was driving home I was thinking, hmm maybe I'm not apply enough product to my hair. I have used the kimmay tube leave in before and it worked ok, so I figured I would start with that. I also realized I have been making it incorrectly :nono: So I mixed up Giovanni Direct, AVG, sunflower/grapeseed oil & olive/castor oil.

I cowashed and put on a white t-shirt to absorb some of the water. I put on half of the kimmay tube leave-in. I sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes. Then I applied more of the kimmay tube leave-in.

I will have to let it dry over night to see how it turns out. But its worth a try.

I love love love the kimmarytube leave in. I have been dabbling around, but i'm realizing that my hair loves it. i need to procure the ingredients to make a batch. . .or five. lol

candy626

Tried the activator gel over my usual leave in (Lustrasilk's Olive Oil CHolesterol). WHoa. That stuff made my hair so soft! And my hair dried without any bulk. I even slept on it, and my curls were not frizzy (except for a few strays). My hair seems to be hanging more and expanding less. Giving Day 1 results, a thumbs up.

faithVA

I tried using more of the kimmay tube leave-in. I am going to need another round of experiments. I think its better but with the oils I can't tell. So next wash day, I'm going to make the kimmay tube LI without the oils. I will apply it twice and use my heat cap in between. Then I will apply the oils to 1/2 of my hair to compare the two sides.

If my cuticles already lay flat, and the AVG closes the cuticle, I'm not sure if I need all of this oil or any oil to seal with. :perplexed:

My hair feels pretty good today but it feels waxy probably from the castor oil. But the true test is to see how my hair feels by the end of the day.

mg1979

I rinsed out the baking soda and then dc'ed. I only wanted to loft my cuticle a little and didn't want to risk any reaction. I also figured two rinses would be sure to get it all out

I use 1 tbsp in 2 cups warm water.

I finally got brave and tried baking soda. The first time I rinsed out the baking soda rinse and then dc'd and I didn't notice anything different. The second time I did the 1 tbsp of baking soda with the two cups of warm water, poured all over my head after washing. I didn't rinse yet. I then took a tresemme natural mixed with water to a really liquidy consistency and poured all over. I let that sit on for the rest of my shower, rinsed out, then dc'd with Deva Curl One Condition with heat for only about 20 minutes. I was surprised that their still wasn't glops of product sitting on my hair like there normally is, even when I apply heat. It's too soon to tell how much of a difference it made, but so far so good.

mg1979

^^I just saw my signature in my post and just realized it's been 4 years to date since my last relaxer!

caliscurls

Thanks for this thread faithVA it's extremely helpful. In the word of Ygritte I "know nothing"...I was convinced my hair was high porosity, ran out and bought some porosity control 2 weeks ago and now reading this thread since my symptoms aren't really gone I now know why. PC seemed like it helped some but now I think the areas it was helping in is really attributed to my uptick in protein treatments, adding oil to my DC, and thinning my castor oil out with grapeseed oil.

faithVA

Thanks for this thread @faithVA it's extremely helpful. In the word of Ygritte I "know nothing"...I was convinced my hair was high porosity, ran out and bought some porosity control 2 weeks ago and now reading this thread since my symptoms aren't really gone I now know why. PC seemed like it helped some but now I think the areas it was helping in is really attributed to my uptick in protein treatments, adding oil to my DC, and thinning my castor oil out with grapeseed oil.

You are welcome caliscurls. The ladies have offered a lot of helpful suggestions. Maybe something will help

Evolving78

i'm really trying to make this air drying thing work for me. tee shirt drying is helping too. my hair is less frizzy. i washed and conditioned my hair this morning. i used a quarter size amount of conditioner and i washed my hair twice. my hair was well cleaned and conditioned. i am learning how to really work a product into my hair, instead of using gobs and gobs of product to make it seem like i did something important.

Last edited:

caliscurls

-Share your hair background
Relaxed, dense fine/course mix

What symptoms is your hair exhibiting? (These occurred even when I was natural)

takes a long time for hair to feel wet
takes at minimum 24 hairs to dry on its own, takes hours upon hours to dry with a rollerset and then still comes out a poofy frizzy mess..OR overly dried
moisturizers sit on the hair and just weigh it down sometimes or beads up into white stuff
DC seems to only work with heat
cones make my hair look sickly
Did the test - my hair floats in water

What have you tried that worked?

DC with heat
After washing - water based moisturizer followed by quarter sized amount of cream leave in
Daily - very little cream moisturizer
Thinning thick oils with lighter ones and still using very little
Clarifying at least monthly
Using moisturizers with silk protein with a very light hand
Using indirect heat via bonnet dryer - for my buns I've started sitting under the dryer for about 15 to 20 minutes with a satin scarf on to lay down the edges/top and with the length down in the back, my hair is still about 60% to 70% wet when done, then add the cream moisturizer, seal lightly, bun, and tie down again (entire head). It's speeds the dry time and the results are much smoother, more body. I think the heat is locking in the moisture. Sometimes I'll even sit back under for about 10 min with the bun. I do this 1 to 2 times a week.

What have you tried that did not work?

Cones
Products with AVJ as the main ingredient...I need to start buying samples sizes when I try new stuff...SMH
Using butters often
Regular AVJ or coconut oil uses....makes my hair crunchy. If I use them 1x as part of a detangle or wash session only it's okay and I see the benefit
Heavy oils
Jury is out on glycerin....I think I need to add more water to it

What questions do you have?
What impact does your protein control level have on porosity or does it? I'm still trying to figure out my balance here..one minute I think I'm protein sensitive the next it seems like I need to have it often.

faithVA

-Share your hair background
Relaxed, dense fine/course mix

What symptoms is your hair exhibiting? (These occurred even when I was natural)

takes a long time for hair to feel wet
takes at minimum 24 hairs to dry on its own, takes hours upon hours to dry with a rollerset and then still comes out a poofy frizzy mess..OR overly dried
moisturizers sit on the hair and just weigh it down sometimes or beads up into white stuff
DC seems to only work with heat
cones make my hair look sickly
Did the test - my hair floats in water

What have you tried that worked?

DC with heat
After washing - water based moisturizer followed by quarter sized amount of cream leave in
Daily - very little cream moisturizer
Thinning thick oils with lighter ones and still using very little
Clarifying at least monthly
Using moisturizers with silk protein with a very light hand
Using indirect heat via bonnet dryer - for my buns I've started sitting under the dryer for about 15 to 20 minutes with a satin scarf on to lay down the edges/top and with the length down in the back, my hair is still about 60% to 70% wet when done, then add the cream moisturizer, seal lightly, bun, and tie down again (entire head). It's speeds the dry time and the results are much smoother, more body. I think the heat is locking in the moisture. Sometimes I'll even sit back under for about 10 min with the bun. I do this 1 to 2 times a week.

What have you tried that did not work?

Cones
Products with AVJ as the main ingredient...I need to start buying samples sizes when I try new stuff...SMH
Using butters often
Regular AVJ or coconut oil uses....makes my hair crunchy. If I use them 1x as part of a detangle or wash session only it's okay and I see the benefit
Heavy oils
Jury is out on glycerin....I think I need to add more water to it

What questions do you have?
What impact does your protein control level have on porosity or does it? I'm still trying to figure out my balance here..one minute I think I'm protein sensitive the next it seems like I need to have it often.

I guess it depends on where you are getting your protein from and what type of protein you are getting.

Based on my own experience and having an hair analysis, the resolution is that I stay away from any protein treatments or products that are for adding protein to the hair. My cuticles lay flat enough that unless I do something damaging I don't have protein issues. Although I don't need protein, I was told that I didn't have to avoid conditioners with protein because they are designed to wash off in about 3 days so my hair would be ok. So I don't try to take care of my protein levels because my hair does that for me.

I do know that other's do like to use protein at some point, especially if they use heat.

caliscurls

faithVA said:
I guess it depends on where you are getting your protein from and what type of protein you are getting.

Good point, I'll start keeping track of the kind of protein that's in the products I'm using and how it's used. Maybe I'm swinging to extremes regularly because of the type and application

leiah

i'm really trying to make this air drying thing work for me. tee shirt drying is helping too. my hair is less frizzy. i washed and conditioned my hair this morning. i used a quarter size amount of conditioner and i washed my hair twice. my hair was well cleaned and conditioned. i am learning how to really work a product into my hair, instead of using gobs and gobs of product to make it seem like i did something important.

shortdub78 working products in is really important to me. I notice on some conditioners the ingredients say to "massage" it into the hair. I never paid any attention to this but I finally got a conditioner that is super thick and has to really be spread out when you apply it. Putting it on that way has made a huge difference.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@faithVA! Glad you finally gave AOWC a try. :grin: It has become my everything product -- my daily moisturizer, my DC (with/without steam), LI and cowash. I like using the LOC method for LIs: sopping wet hair, avocado butter, AOWC. I then top my hair off with a tad bit more of avocado butter.

I've never tried AO shampoos so I'm unsure how great they are.

The above has helped my hair tremendously. I'm even using a little AO before roller setting. I've been able to avoid using setting lotion with success for the past two weeks and I'm 8 weeks post. That's a big deal for me.

How's everyone else doing?

faithVA

Nothing much going on here. Still playing around with the LOC method and with different moisturizers. Haven't gotten a true success but its better than it was.

I've tried doing leave-in, oil, moisturizer and oil, leave-in, moisturizer. They seem to be about the same. I may need to try apply my heat cap in between steps but not sure.

I think when my hair is longer it will be easier. With a tightly curly twa it is hard to apply my products in layers and know that I haven't gotten everything on my hair.

I think my hair may be a bit more moisturized but its still crunchy.

caliscurls

faithVA since our last exchange in this thread I decided to throw out (well gift to other people) every product I had with cones and protein. The only protein i kept was my MegaTek for use on occasion when I think I need it. I started the LOC method too and so far so good....my hair feels soooo much softer and my breakage less everyday.

Here's what I've been doing
- daily LOC at night
- spray hair with water only, and gently smooth down the hair
- seal with about a dime size of light oil (1/3 JBCO, 2/3 grapeseed oil)
- divide hair in 2 parts, moisturize each part with a dime size of Tresemee Naturals Moisture conditioner
- bun

Weekly
- 30 min hot oil treatment
- co-wash and then dc w/heat with Tresemee Naturals (I'm hoping I can keep using it for DC, may switch to AO Rosa Mosqueta but I'll give it some time first) for 30 min
- use Tresemee as a leave-in, light oil, air dry

So far so good, but I won't jump to conclusions...I'll give it a while before I'm sold. I jumped too quick with Herbal Essence and Silicon Mix. They felt good at first and then I realized they were suffocating my hair.

Any how, thanks for your advice a few weeks ago!

faithVA

@faithVA since our last exchange in this thread I decided to throw out (well gift to other people) every product I had with cones and protein. The only protein i kept was my MegaTek for use on occasion when I think I need it. I started the LOC method too and so far so good....my hair feels soooo much softer and my breakage less everyday.

Here's what I've been doing
- daily LOC at night
- spray hair with water only, and gently smooth down the hair
- seal with about a dime size of light oil (1/3 JBCO, 2/3 grapeseed oil)
- divide hair in 2 parts, moisturize each part with a dime size of Tresemee Naturals Moisture conditioner
- bun

Weekly
- 30 min hot oil treatment
- co-wash and then dc w/heat with Tresemee Naturals (I'm hoping I can keep using it for DC, may switch to AO Rosa Mosqueta but I'll give it some time first) for 30 min
- use Tresemee as a leave-in, light oil, air dry

So far so good, but I won't jump to conclusions...I'll give it a while before I'm sold. I jumped too quick with Herbal Essence and Silicon Mix. They felt good at first and then I realized they were suffocating my hair.

Any how, thanks for your advice a few weeks ago!

Cool. Glad it's working for you. You will figure out even more things as time goes on.

jesusislove1526

--Share your hair background
Natural, 3c, medium density, coarse strands, approaching MBL

--What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?
water beading on hair
conditioners/deep conditioners sit on top of the hair if they are not worked in well
perms, colors did/do not take well
hair strands floated with float test
wetting and drying takes a long time

--What have you tried that worked?
LOC
GHE
honey with deep conditioners in the summer
cowashing
conditioners without protein or conditioners with silk protein [Suave Naturals, HE LTR]
sealing with light and heavy oils mixed [grapeseed, EVOO, castor]
working in conditioners and deep conditioners
using a clarifying conditioner monthly
t-shirt/air drying in twists
water for moisture

--What have you tried that did not work?
conditioners with proteins besides silk
shampoos
sealing with oils only
heat
sealing with light oils
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In for moisturizing

--What questions do you have?

jesusislove1526

--Share your hair background
Natural, 3c, medium density, coarse strands, approaching MBL

--What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?
water beading on hair
conditioners/deep conditioners sit on top of the hair if they are not worked in well
perms, colors did/do not take well
hair strands floated with float test
wetting and drying takes a long time

--What have you tried that worked?
LOC
GHE
honey with deep conditioners in the summer
cowashing
conditioners without protein or conditioners with or light proteins [Suave Naturals, HE LTR]
sealing with light and heavy oils mixed [grapeseed, EVOO, castor]
working in conditioners and deep conditioners
using a clarifying conditioner monthly
t-shirt/air drying in twists
water for moisture

--What have you tried that did not work?
conditioners with heavy proteins
shampoos
sealing with oils only
sealing with light oils
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In for moisturizing

--What questions do you have?

I do have one question...what should I use for a leave in conditioner, or should I even use one?

Blairx0

Do you think being a lo po girl makes a difference with styles? I am on the hunt for a styler and wanted to know where to begin

Oneprettypa

Hy ladies!!

Mi am SUPER brand new to doing my own hair and I just determined this morning I have low porosity hair! I am SO looking forward to reading your threads, tips an advice on how to obtain long healthy hair. Thanks in advance!!! My goal is BSL by Dec 2013!!!