Low Porosity Support Thread

shortt29

chantille said:
I had an impromptu wash day yesterday. I am visiting home on summer vacation, so I used my mother's products

-Baking soda rinse. Massaged it through, let it sit for 3 minutes, and then rinsed out. Poured a second BS rinse through my hair and promptly rinsed it out.
-Applied Aphogee 2 minute and combed through. Let sit for 5 minutes then rinsed out. (I am being a little heavy handed with the protein since I plan on relaxing next weekend, my first time self-relaxing)
-Applied DC. When I DC'ed 1.5 weeks ago, I used only Mizani Moisturefuse with a tbsp of olive oil. Didn't love this results, so I added a couple of tbsp of Elasta QP DPR 11 DC. Sat under hair dryer for an hour and left it on another 30 minutes without heat. Definitely liked the results better.
-Decided to use an ACV rinse. Felt the difference as soon as it hit my hair--hair became silky with tons of slip. I loved it.
-Wrapped hair in t-shirt and let dry for 45 minutes.
-Used Giovanni Direct. Still on the fence about this one. Only my second time using it and I didn't feel like it did much.
-Sprayed Silk Elements Olive Oil heat protectant (love this stuff) and blow dried on medium heat in sections.
-Applied NTM Silk Touch. Length of hair loves it but it does nothing for my new growth. Sealed with a drop of some Dr. Miracle oil and pinned into a bun.

Results: Easier detangling throughout the entire process, thanks to the BS. My comb slipped through easily as I applied each product. Loved this DC mix much better. ACV rinse felt wonderful. My blow dry comb never caught once, but there was a little more shedding than I would have liked. Had a lot of swing and immediate high sheen after blowdrying, which I usually don't have, so must have been ACV rinse. After a few hours, my edges feel a little stiff, but everything else feels great. Just still looking for something for my NG. I ordered some Hairveda Whipped Creme, which should be at my apt by the time I return to school next weekend, so we'll see how that does. Until then, I have to play around with what she has.

I don't have a set regimen at school-home, since I was trying something new everyday to counteract the mess that shampoo left my hair in. Now that I have achieved results with BS, I plan to pour out all shampoo and fill with BS rinse. I need to keep my regimen very simple because I simply will not have the time for complicated routines when school and clinicals start. Two things I know my hair did like was cowashing with WEN, which I did twice a week after a couple of days of gym buildup, and Aphogee keratin spritzes a few times a weeks between Aphogee 2 minute treatments every other wash day. I think I will add some BS to my WEN cowashes now. I just need a more reliable DC and daily moisturizer.

Does anyone do tea rinses for shedding? This is the next thing I want to try.

I use tea rinses and my shedding has decreased

faithVA

[USER=266942 said:
Kindheart[/USER];16570633]I finally have done this test and my hair is floating apart from a strand at the bottom of the bowl,i take i have low/medium porosity then?

My hair sheds with cowashing and leaves my hair dry most of the time ,it does however occasionally work for me ,but i couldn't go more than a week without shampooing and DC my hair would be dry and limp.

@faithVA does glyerin not work on low porosity hair ? My hair hates it in leave in products especially when there aren't oils to counteract the effects of it eg Oyin j&b

I don't think I ever saw your post. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind. If I didn't answer, I'm apologize. And if I did and I'm answering again, I apologize. :lol:

Some low porosity heads love glycerin and others say it makes their hair hard and some have to watch the dew point. My hair likes glycerin as far as softness, but its almost impossible for me to use to moisturize without it also making my hair feel sticky.

faithVA

To any of you ladies that use baking soda, does anyone mix it with water and spray it on?

If I am going to cowash and then DC (yes I do this), should I use the BS with the cowash conditioner or with the DC? Does it matter?

I am going to DC tonight or tomorrow and was considering a baking soda mist prior to my DC.

Last edited:

Blairx0

I have used bc disolved in cheapie conditoner and in a spray bottle with water. Both of fine with me. I rinsed the treatment after 20 minsand the deep conditioned. If I weren't so lazy i would do this more because my hair just absorbed the dc like a sponge

faithVA

[USER=328439 said:
Blairx0[/USER];16673445]I have used bc disolved in cheapie conditoner and in a spray bottle with water. Both of fine with me. I rinsed the treatment after 20 minsand the deep conditioned. If I weren't so lazy i would do this more because my hair just absorbed the dc like a sponge

Thanks! Did you mean that you rinsed the bc out after 20 minutes and then deep conditioned? or you put the dc over the bc and rinsed them both out after 20 minutes?

Blairx0

I rinsed out the baking soda and then dc'ed. I only wanted to loft my cuticle a little and didn't want to risk any reaction. I also figured two rinses would be sure to get it all out

faithVA

I tried the baking soda water rinse, put 2 tsp of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water and misted my hair. Then I put on the Shea Moisture Purification Masque. It stayed on a while because I kept it in while I worked out. I rinsed. It didn't feel any different to me. Then I cowashed with the Deva Care One and rinsed with warm water. I actuallly made the Kimmay Tube Leave-in with Giovanni Direct, AVG, sunflower oil and castor oil. I put that on just in case to close my cuticles.

Going to try 3 different experiments.
I am going to try the Shea Moisture Purification Masque with my heat cap to see how it works. If it doesn't work well with heat, I will give it away and try another DC.

Once I settle on a DC, I will add baking soda to Purification Masque and just baggy to see how it works. Then I will add baking soda and use the heat cap. That will give me a true test.

chantille

I tried the baking soda water rinse, put 2 tsp of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water and misted my hair. Then I put on the Shea Moisture Purification Masque. It stayed on a while because I kept it in while I worked out. I rinsed. It didn't feel any different to me. Then I cowashed with the Deva Care One and rinsed with warm water. I actuallly made the Kimmay Tube Leave-in with Giovanni Direct, AVG, sunflower oil and castor oil. I put that on just in case to close my cuticles.

Going to try 3 different experiments.
I am going to try the Shea Moisture Purification Masque with my heat cap to see how it works. If it doesn't work well with heat, I will give it away and try another DC.

Once I settle on a DC, I will add baking soda to Purification Masque and just baggy to see how it works. Then I will add baking soda and use the heat cap. That will give me a true test.

So you only misted and then DC'd? Did you soak your hair with the mist or just dampen it? I would try again with a legit rinse: wet your hair then apply BS rinse (maybe even 2 "servings" worth), rinse out BS, then apply DC.

I'm sorry you didn't feel a difference with the first experiment.

faithVA

So you only misted and then DC'd? Did you soak your hair with the mist or just dampen it? I would try again with a legit rinse: wet your hair then apply BS rinse (maybe even 2 "servings" worth), rinse out BS, then apply DC.

I'm sorry you didn't feel a difference with the first experiment.

Thanks chantille. I did wet it. Not sure how much of it I sprayed on. I think I will try putting it in the conditioner next time. I will probably get aggravated spraying it. I will try it a few different ways and get posting my results.

faithVA

Still playing around with this and that. My experiments haven't been a total fail. Just haven't experience anything to rave about.

My hair does pretty well until around 4:00. It feels soft most of the day, but around 4 pm you can feel it losing moisture and it starts to feel hard. But it still has some softness. It won't last until the morning though. So I still need to moisturize daily.

I am playing around with the KimmayTube leave-in using some of my leave-in's. So far using the Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier has worked the best. I will try it with the rest of my products though.

I am also going to GHE for September to see if that helps in anyway.

The next time I cowash I will try it with the baking soda or the castille soap.

faithVA

Any ladies in here ever use the Desert Essence Conditioners. How did they work for you and which one(s) did you use? tia

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Lawd I just found the key to my success!!!

I can not apply conditioner or leave ins, etc to sopping wet hair. When I cw I have to squeeze all the excess water out then apply the conditioner on my final wash. When I use my leave in I have to apply to damp hair only then of course apply my oil, gels etc. when I tried this today my hair was extremely moisturized!!!!

faithVA

[USER=201322 said:
divachyk[/USER];16745423]@faithVA did you try tea rinsing or AO as a daily moisturizer (we were chatting in another thread about this).

Not yet. I still haven't picked up either product, the marshamallow root or the AO. It will probably be a few weeks. I'm feeling quite lazy and don't feel like driving to the other side of town :lol:

faithVA

I mixed 3/4 tsp of baking soda with my DC today. How messy :nono: I had to get in the shower to put it on my head. Since it was my first time, I didn't use heat and I let it sit about 40 minutes. I didn't notice a big difference when I rinsed. I used a version of kimmaytube leave-in after it partially air dried.

My hair is 50% to 75% dry right now and so far it feels soft. I will definitely know when it completely dries.

faithVA

Put the baking soda in my conditioner. Didn't really see a huge difference. Going to let that idea go. I think my mudwash will get my the ph balance I need. I did buy the AO Blue Chamomile Shampoo and conditioned with AO White Camellia conditioner. My hair felt very soft on rinsing. Didn't DC after that.

Tried the AO White Camellia as a leave-in. I can't say it didn't work. I would have to have 1 thing work to have something to compare it to. I'm not sure if its product or technique. :ohwell:

But I will stick with my shampoo and conditioner and continue to work on the leave-in stage.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
faithVA! Glad you finally gave AOWC a try. :grin: It has become my everything product -- my daily moisturizer, my DC (with/without steam), LI and cowash. I like using the LOC method for LIs: sopping wet hair, avocado butter, AOWC. I then top my hair off with a tad bit more of avocado butter.

I've never tried AO shampoos so I'm unsure how great they are.

faithVA

[USER=201322 said:
divachyk[/USER];16760323]@faithVA! Glad you finally gave AOWC a try. :grin: It has become my everything product -- my daily moisturizer, my DC (with/without steam), LI and cowash. I like using the LOC method for LIs: sopping wet hair, avocado butter, AOWC. I then top my hair off with a tad bit more of avocado butter.

I've never tried AO shampoos so I'm unsure how great they are.

I've only used the shampoo once obviously. But I think it will work for me. Its clean but not stripped. And it didn't give me major shrinkage and tightening like some shampoos do. It seems to be slightly alkaline so it open my cuticles just a bit. When I rinsed and put the AO White Camellia conditioner on top of it, my hair was very soft which is rare when I put a conditioner on. So I think the combination works for me.

I will play around with the LOC method some more and see if I can get it to work. I have a feeling it isn't products that are the issue but understanding the consistency of the products along with the order that are going to matter.

faithVA

[USER=55007 said:
nadaa16[/USER];16761673]Have any of you ladies used castile soap? Have you used it in conditioner?

If you read further up the thread you may find some answers that help you. I have seen it mentioned in the thread.

*Frisky*

I didn't know that aloe vera juice closes the cuticle so it may not benefit low porosity hair. I am almost certain this is true for at least my hair because I can not get my hair to act right when I use products that have aloe vera juice as one of the main ingredients.

faithVA

I didn't know that aloe vera juice closes the cuticle so it may not benefit low porosity hair. I am almost certain this is true for at least my hair because I can not get my hair to act right when I use products that have aloe vera juice as one of the main ingredients.

It is known for that. However, it seems to be a case by case basis. My hair doesn't seem to act any differently with aloe vera or not. But it may be that my cuticle is already laying so flat that it just has no impact.

*Frisky*

It is known for that. However, it seems to be a case by case basis. My hair doesn't seem to act any differently with aloe vera or not. But it may be that my cuticle is already laying so flat that it just has no impact.

Oh ok...well maybe there is still hope if I can get my cuticles to open up before I use it. I have several styling products with aloe vera juice in them and they work very marginal on my hair compared to other products.

faithVA

[USER=10136 said:
*Frisky*[/USER];16762081]Oh ok...well maybe there is still hope if I can get my cuticles to open up before I use it. I have several styling products with aloe vera juice in them and they work very marginal on my hair compared to other products.

Are they styling products or leave-ins? If they are stylers then you would want it to close the cuticle but if it's leave-in's than not so much.