Women are no longer wearing their hair long?

Do MOST women over the age of 30 wear their hair short

• Yes, I have noticed.

Votes: 107 59.4%
  • No, they rock their long hair at any age

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • I have not noticed

Votes: 41 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm over 40 and a bunch of my friends of the same age have cut their hair for various reasons. Three friends were told that they should no longer get perms, so they went for a TWA. As a result, one has learned to swim and another has discovered exercise. The third friend is still in denial and hasn't adjusted to her new length or texture at all. I have other friends who are wearing locs for the first time and loving the experience. So although their hair is short now, they fully expect to grow long, lucious, dreads with time and attention. The thing that I've noticed about my over 40 women friends, is that they are no longer tied to conventional standards in many areas of their life. It's like they got a second wind. So if they are bing told that they can no longer use chemicals in their hair, they become fierce about their fitness routines and their bodies change as a result. Those sporting locs have reached a point in their lives and in their careers where they are trying something they've always wanted. Short hair? Maybe, but definitely not a mom 'do.

Yep, I noticed this years ago. The older a woman gets the shorter her hair gets. I have seen this among my friends & family members too.

I noticed a lot of white women hacking their hair off in these bob cuts. seems like kate + 8 set it off. Before it was like white women- long hair, black women -short halle berrys now black women -with longer hair and white women -with short cuts.

Yes I've noticed this too, but I really don't see how shorter hair makes a woman look more youthful. I know for me because I'm over 40 and look so young, the shorter hair makes me look a little older (IMO), but my husband says my TWA makes me look younger. Most women with shorter hair look older to me. Some more sophisticated, some kinda... frumpy looking. Anyway, I plan to grow mine out. I'm like Oprah! I'll be 50 years old rocking a long ponytail because it's something I've never had!

I noticed a lot of white women hacking their hair off in these bob cuts. seems like kate + 8 set it off. Before it was like white women- long hair, black women -short halle berrys now black women -with longer hair and white women -with short cuts.
I think Victoria Beckham's haircut set it off too, a few years ago. I remember one of my friends and 2 women at work getting their hair cut like that. I still see that haircut. I know someone else who got her hair cut like that earlier this year.

I've noticed that women cut their hair as they get older, but I think long, cute styles make women look younger (i.e. LisaRaye, the lady who played Tasha Mack on girlfriends, Jada Pinkett, Jennifer Aniston, Mariah Carey, Eva Longoria, etc.)

I'm pushing the door towards 34 and I can't wait to rock my WL hair (when I get it) so I can look 25, LOL!

Ive noticed older women do tend to wear their hair short, but most do it out of necessity (breaking,splitting hair) as opposed to by choice in my experience.

I do think long hair looks "prairie like". It's can look dated and played out. Long hair is not becoming on most people to me especially if it's long around your face. When I was MBL and WL my hair was so heavy as soon as I cut it to BSL with layers it looked so much more "modern" and youthful.

All of the clear women (plus Hispanics) I work with in my department (age 22 - 50 ) with the exception of myself (a little below BSL) and another clear lady with WL (She's about 26) all have hair SL or shorter. I don't know if it's because they don't have to "prove" they can "have" long hair like black women have to or what, but they don't rock long hair.

As a new mom I noticed that many of the women who also had kids around the same time as me cut their hair right after having the baby. Maybe it has to do with a woman's free time to spend on herself and younger people, without kids, tend to have more time in general.

:lachen:Goodness. She said over 35-40 - Not over 110. You got us Divas with one foot in the coffin. :lachen: I hear you, but the meds and the losing of "toofs and hur" don't usually start this early.

Aspire, that's funny!:lachen: I am a cosmetologist who worked with a trichologist and what I see is women in the 35-45 category and beyond.

The majority have toofs but not much hair.:lachen:. Most of them are wearing weave pieces. When they get tired of the weave they cut what they have left into a style and tell everybody they used to have long hair but cut it off. Well it wasn't much that got cut.

You know the hairdresser knows for sure. They rockin short hair because they can't grow a healthy length.

We can't always look at what women in other races do because our haircare and beauty is totally different but I know for a fact that other have hair growth issues too especially the redheads.

I wish I could refer those women to the board but I no longer do hair.

Last edited:
Being 30 today isn't like being 30 back in the day. I've seen a lot more women wearing longer hair past the age of 35. It all depends on your personal style and what is attractive on you. Hair extensions (weave) have never been more popular, and I refuse to believe that all those folks wearing them are under the age of 30.

As for me, people can never guess my real age or even come close, so as long as it looks good on me, I will continue to wear it.

Hmm...I haven't really noticed a "trend", but I'll keep my eye out and see if I notice anything.

By the way, usually when I've seen women with long hair that so-called "ages" them, it's usually because the woman looks like she hasn't taken a lot of time to care for her hair! For example, there's this yt woman that I work with, and she's only in her 50's but her hair AGES her! She has AP length hair, but it's so frizzy (doesn't look combed/brushed), she has TONS of gray hair, and her hair just looks DULL. :ohwell:

So, when I see hair that "ages" an older woman, it's not necessarily the length that ages them, but the fact that they don't dye the gray, their hair looks dull or "messy", and it's not cut/styled properly.

I don't think it's the length, but more so the health or appearance of the hair that can "age" a woman. Because I've seen some older indian, and asian women with butt-length hair that makes them look "young".

i hate when women reach a certain age and chop off all their hair... i think a mature lady with long hair is sexy

Last edited:
I was told by my aunts that when you hit 40 your too old to wear long hair. That is crazy! For some reason I see a trend that MARRIED women with kids will cut their hair. But, I tend to think that men regardless of age love long hair so I now since I know how to grow it will always keep it long!

Hmm...I haven't really noticed a "trend", but I'll keep my eye out and see if I notice anything.

By the way, usually when I've seen women with long hair that so-called "ages" them, it's usually because the woman looks like she hasn't taken a lot of time to care for her hair! For example, there's this yt woman that I work with, and she's only in her 50's but her hair AGES her! She has AP length hair, but it's so frizzy (doesn't look combed/brushed), she has TONS of gray hair, and her hair just looks DULL. :ohwell:

So, when I see hair that "ages" an older woman, it's not necessarily the length that ages them, but the fact that they don't dye the gray, their hair looks dull or "messy", and it's not cut/styled properly.

I don't think it's the length, but more so the health or appearance of the hair that can "age" a woman. Because I've seen some older indian, and asian women with butt-length hair that makes them look "young".
I agree. I've seen age 40+ women with that frizz or obvious dryness with no sheen or shine at all. I think that's what ages them, not the length.

I have noticed this for a long time and then I got over 40 and I think for most of them the reason may be menopause because the hair can be hot. I would like to continue to grow my hair.

Now the reason the OP sees this trend among the 30-something set is b/c it's also drilled into our heads by yt-american culture to cut your hair when you have a baby, cause you won't have time to take care of it. Well obviously someone forgot to tell Indians cause unlike Jane and her 1 daughter Becky, Fatima has like 4-5 kids and still keeps her tailbone length hair thick, moist, and slammin, so there's another urban myth busted.

Umm....what does YT mean?

I'm so busy tryna figure that out I cant even pay attention to this thread :spinning:

THey also tell young women to cut their hair shorter to be taken more seriously and look older and more mature, so they can't have it both ways.
Actually they called it "fashion" but that's not the real reason, Frederic Fekkai confessed it on some show he said the real reason why that "rule" came about is b/c women weren't taking care of their hair and by the time all the bad hair-care, coloring, perming and heat styling caught up with you you'd be 50-ish. Now he also said if you have healthy hair and you've always had long hair and it suits you keep it long. So it's really not about age it's about healthy hair. I've noticed the opposite everyone who's teen/college or just new grad is cutting their hair shorter.

Now the reason the OP sees this trend among the 30-something set is b/c it's also drilled into our heads by yt-american culture to cut your hair when you have a baby, cause you won't have time to take care of it. Well obviously someone forgot to tell Indians cause unlike Jane and her 1 daughter Becky, Fatima has like 4-5 kids and still keeps her tailbone length hair thick, moist, and slammin, so there's another urban myth busted.
A little off topic: I've noticed that cultures that encourage women to keep longer length below shoulder and beyond, and encourage feminine styles have less percentage of divorce, I don't think it's just the hair, but I think it's everything that goes with the hair, some women lose their femininity when they cut their hair short, they start dressing frumpy, not taking care of their bodies, not exercising, and just letting themselves go and let's face it men are visual and hard wired to look for signs of health and beauty, so that can't be the way to keep your man. They don't expect you to look 19 forever but they do expect you to look like a woman. look good, and still be feminine. JMO
ITA, especially the bolded. :yep: I think at any age any a woman should style her hair in a way that suits her. Some women need the hair to soften their faces, but I will say Cindy McCain (for example) did in fact look younger with the shorter hair. I just wouldn't advise anybody to go on "trend" or some warped idea of what it means to be a mother because it may not look good on you.

I was watching Neighbours the other day with SO and he was like "Why did Susan cut her hair, I liked her old look. Cant stand it like that":ohwell:

Susans old style:
susan_karl.jpg

Her new one:

susan---thumb-140x191-85607.jpg

I think she looks just as good with the long hair but the short is pretty sassy. I also know a lot of young guys who were attracted to her with the long hair too even though she was 50 ish lol. If people want to switch it up whatever but I feel short hair ages some people and long hair ages others..

I was watching Neighbours the other day with SO and he was like "Why did Susan cut her hair, I liked her old look. Cant stand it like that":ohwell:

Susans old style:
susan_karl.jpg

Her new one:

susan---thumb-140x191-85607.jpg

I think she looks just as good with the long hair but the short is pretty sassy. I also know a lot of young guys who were attracted to her with the long hair too even though she was 50 ish lol. If people want to switch it up whatever but I feel short hair ages some people and long hair ages others..
I disagree, there is nothing sassy about that cut. On the picture with long hair she looks like she could have a 12-13 your old. The "sassy cut" looks as if she has grandkids. imo

You can't compare the attitude towards long hair between women who have always had long hair vs. women who are just now discovering that their hair can grow long.

Some of those women have had long hair all their lives. They probably tried every color and style out there. Now they seek out an opportunity to try something different.

One thing I've noticed on campus between black women and white women is that black women tend to keep their hair in a 'style' whereas white women don't. The white women usually just wear a 'wash and go' or a messy bun. I say this because I can see how these same women rocking buns and 'wash and go' styles might opt to chop years from now. They aren't doing much with their hair now, and many feel like a funky short do will get them back interested in their hair.

Hair just isn't as much of a big deal among white women like it is with us and Indians. Victoria Beckham is a wife and mother who looks fab in her short do, and some of these women are following in her footsteps.

I've yet to see hair length determine how old or young someone looks. It's more about the body, skin, and fashion. If you're running around out of shape with a bad complexion and out of date clothing, you will look old no matter how long or short the hair.

I disagree, there is nothing sassy about that cut. On the picture with long hair she looks like she could have a 12-13 year old. The "sassy cut" looks as if she has grandkids. imo

I disagree, there is nothing sassy about that cut. On the picture with long hair she looks like she could have a 12-13 your old. The "sassy cut" looks as if she has grandkids. imo

EXACTLY! She looked younger and softer with longer hair. That ridiculous "sassy" hair cut makes her look like an old, desperate grandmother trying her hardest to look hip and trendy! :nono:

THey also tell young women to cut their hair shorter to be taken more seriously and look older and more mature, so they can't have it both ways.
Actually they called it "fashion" but that's not the real reason, Frederic Fekkai confessed it on some show he said the real reason why that "rule" came about is b/c women weren't taking care of their hair and by the time all the bad hair-care, coloring, perming and heat styling caught up with you you'd be 50-ish. Now he also said if you have healthy hair and you've always had long hair and it suits you keep it long. So it's really not about age it's about healthy hair. I've noticed the opposite everyone who's teen/college or just new grad is cutting their hair shorter.

A little off topic: I've noticed that cultures that encourage women to keep longer length below shoulder and beyond, and encourage feminine styles have less percentage of divorce, I don't think it's just the hair, but I think it's everything that goes with the hair, some women lose their femininity when they cut their hair short, they start dressing frumpy, not taking care of their bodies, not exercising, and just letting themselves go and let's face it men are visual and hard wired to look for signs of health and beauty, so that can't be the way to keep your man. They don't expect you to look 19 forever but they do expect you to look like a woman. look good, and still be feminine. JMO

That doesn't prove anything. Those cultures you speak of have VERY different reasons for lower divorce rates. Divorce rates are not a measure of how successful marriages in a society are. In some cases a culture is more anti-divorce or the women are expected to put up with more crap in a marriage than say, American women. Also, lower divorce rates don't tell us anything about the rate of infidelity in those cultures.

LMAOO sorry for the sassy, it was an edit as I was tryna be nice. On the show she looks a lot older now and face looks more sharp.

I was just doing research concerning long hair and I found this article from this site validating jamifan:

Long Hair For Women Over 40

Karen Marie Shelton - Copyright - All Rights ReservedRevised Date: 08/14/09 - Original Publication Date: 3/1998
Introduction

2SVUbk03Revised1_250h.jpg
Jane Seymour to the side - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit -- NBC Series -- "Families"
Will Hart/Universal
All Rights Reserved​

Jane Seymour, also known as Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, is probably the most famous long hair celeb beauty over 40. Jane's long beautiful brunette tresses have certainly helped make her successful. It's also her beauty signature.
I've read many interviews with Jane in national magazines where she mentions that people often suggest that she is too old for having such long hair.
It's sad, but many people believe that women over 40 should automatically cut their hair.
Jane is a woman with her own beauty sense. As a result, she absolutely refuses to bow to public opinion about the length of her hair. She will not be dictated by her age.
Clairol agrees with Jane and she is now enjoying a lucrative advertising assignment for Clairol.
Many people ask me if I'll cut my long hair when I get older. My standard answer is I hope my hair is so long it won't fit in my coffin when I die. I have no intention of ever cutting my long locks again.
I have researched the roots of society's belief indicating older woman should have short hair. Society's attitude dictating short hair on older women has been prevalent for a long time. Before the current century woman of all ages always had long tresses. The older the woman, the longer her hair except in rare circumstances.
JoanCollinsOnWillandGrace_250h.jpg
Joan Collins born May 1933 as she appeared on Will And Grace on NBC in a short bob hairstyle - 7/2/02
NBC Photo: Chris Haston
All Rights Reserved​

Short Hair Fashion Trends in 1920s

Short hair became the latest fashion in the United States in the 1920s. Even then, the majority of older women kept their hair long periodically wearing it up in a variety of buns, twists or braids.
After World War II the hair care industry welcomed the introduction of the shampoo and wet curler set for short styles. Chemically permed styles also became prominent.
Older woman flocked to hairdressers and emerged with short curls, and waves. It became very fashionable to get your hair done every single week.
The weekly hairdresser visits did not encourage long hair.
Most hairdressers made more money if they trimmed and styled hair on a weekly or semi-monthly basis.
Older women with long hair were considered prime hair makeover subjects by the entire beauty industry.
.continued { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.continued:hover { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none}.advertisement { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}.hr80 { WIDTH: 80%; HEIGHT: 1px}
Short Hair Fashion Trends Through 1950s & 1960s

CherWillandGraceAlone_250w.jpg
Cher from NBC's Will And Grace - May 16. 2002
NBC
All Rights Reserved​

Short hair for older women was the preferred style throughout the 1950s. When the 1960 ushered in the age of the long hair, older women continue to do the shampoo and set on their short styles.
Short hair for the middle-aged became the norm. It was rare to find older women with hair past their shoulders.
Many people still believe that older women should have short hair. However, Jane Seymour, Cher (shown to the side) and Jacqueline Bisset have proven women over 40 can look stunning with long locks.
The important thing is how each older women looks on an individual basis. If a woman looks fabulous, her hair is in great condition and flattering to her face, she should wear her hair as long as she pleases.
Catherine Deneuve looks great with either long or shorter hair. Kim Basinger, Melanie Griffith and Sharon Stone all decided to cut their hair as they got older. Whether they look better or worse is a personal opinion.
Other Aging Hair Factors To Consider

There are other factors to consider on aging hair. With age, long hair's condition and color can fade. It can appear limp, faded or discolored. Long hair needs to be carefully maintained. Long hair which is aging needs to be treated to weekly conditioning treatments, regular trims. In some cases aging strands which are long would benefit from skillfully applied highlights or color added to restore luster, bounce and body.
Color extremes should be avoided for older hair. The bleached blonde look should be discarded for warmer blondes or carefully applied highlights.
Since skin color also changes on older women, they should work with an expert to enhance skin tone and blend it with hair color. Dark brown or black hair shades may also look harsh or unflattering on older faces.
If a woman has long hair in good condition with good color and body, she can also play with the edges of the style to add some softening around the aging face.
Soft feathering of a fringe (bangs) or around the hairline close to the face can be very flattering and not require any cutting of the length of the hair. Use a variety of styling products to add softness throughout the fringe and around the perimeter of your face.
Summary

I recently saw a woman with gorgeous silver hair to her waist. It was thick, shiny and well maintained. The color was gorgeous against her deep blue eyes and pale skin. I was very impressed.
The woman looked to be in her 60s and was a great inspiration. Obviously she knows that long hair can look fantastic at any age with the right style, condition and attitude.
The bottom line for having long hair as you age is understanding what is best for your face and natural coloring. The first step to achieving this goal is to find a great hair consultant who will work with you and advise you on color and condition. A great hairstylist will also offer creative suggestions on how to amp up your strands for maximum benefit.

I have noticed that older women do usually wear their hair short sl or shorter....becuz it seems to be the norm that once you reach 30'ish and beyond you need to look your age sort of speak...but I am in my 50 + and I say if you desire to wear long hair then that is your choice......long hair no older women can look good too. look at cher, wanakee, and few of others:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Many people ask me if I'll cut my long hair when I get older. My standard answer is I hope my hair is so long it won't fit in my coffin when I die. I have no intention of ever cutting my long locks again.
I love this quote from Jane Seymour!

Back