Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

naturalmanenyc

I haven't worn crochet braids in years although I loved the style and it was easy to do on my own. This is a style I did a few years ago. I'm thinking about getting crochet braids again.

I used 2 packs of hair, color 2 and color 4/30, bulk Freetress Bohemian Braid. I later added about 20 pieces of colored hair.

It took 5 1/2 hours to crochet in the hair and 2 hours prepping the hair (dividing pre-sectioned hair into 2, 3 or 4 pieces with gel). All in all it took 7.5 hours plus the hour it took the woman I paid to do my cornrows. But instead of $150 that I normally pay my braider for the crochet curly twists, I spent $28.75.:grin::grin::grin::grin: Although it took all day, I cannot complain at all given the outcome and the price.

I did even up the back later.

20 pieces added and evened cut.

Six weeks later, freshly washed/conditioned:

Underneath the weave

Last edited:

Funmiloves

this is adorable! How long does the hair last before it starts looking old? Can this last for a month?

shortdub78

Thanks. I've had it only for 2 weeks and it still looks good:yep: I separated most of the dread curls and to me it looks like the ones that were separated became slightly looser after washing, but nothing too major.

I plan on keeping mine for 6 weeks, so another 4 weeks to go.

yodie

misseyblue hooked me up with a great stylist to do my crochet braids. I don't know how to do them at all. You ladies did a fabulous job. I plan on wearing these until summer. Will post pics once I get them installed.

Evolving78

shortdub78 Thanks. I've had it only for 2 weeks and it still looks good:yep: I separated most of the dread curls and to me it looks like the ones that were separated became slightly looser after washing, but nothing too major. I plan on keeping mine for 6 weeks, so another 4 weeks to go.
I want to try this!

OhTall1

naturalmanenyc, it looks great!
It took 5 1/2 hours to crochet in the hair and 2 hours prepping the hair (dividing pre-sectioned hair into 2, 3 or 4 pieces with gel). All in all it took 7.5 hours plus the hour it took the woman I paid to do my cornrows. But instead of $150 that I normally pay my braider for the crochet curly twists, I spent $28.75.:grin::grin::grin::grin: Although it took all day, I cannot complain at all given the outcome and the price.
My braider currently charges $90 for crochets, but there are lots of other people locally that are charging $125+. As soon as my lady raises her rates, I'm probably going the DIY route too.

naturalmanenyc

I considered trying these curly twists crochet braids on my own. The stylist I used charged $155. I had them done twice (2009 & 2010) but moved on to single braids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJ2pzKSLHA

details are on my blog here:
http://goingnaturaltransitionington...-hairstyle-for-transitioning-to-natural-hair/

They sort of had a dread loc look.

It was very springy hair. I nearly died washing it.
I posted about my near death experience here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=410420

naturalmanenyc

LaChaBla
I've been asking around and crochet braids are going for $125 - $150 (home bradiers). I did my last set on my own for $28.75 but did pay $150 for the curly twists crochet braids in 2009 at a braid shop.

My new braider said crochet braids are $125. She did my Havana twists for $100.

Another home braider I found charges $150 for crochet braids.

My braider currently charges $90 for crochets, but there are lots of other people locally that are charging $125+. As soon as my lady raises her rates, I'm probably going the DIY route too.

Evolving78

LaChaBla I've been asking around and crochet braids are going for $125 - $150 (home bradiers). I did my last set on my own for $28.75 but did pay $150 for the curly twists crochet braids in 2009 at a braid shop. My new braider said crochet braids are $125. She did my Havana twists for $100. Another home braider I found charges $150 for crochet braids.
I refuse. I would pay that for box braids or something, but not that. I'm just not into weave and extensions like that. I know they will provide hair and it takes some time to do it, so I respect the price.

Funmiloves

I found some Biba natural hair. I'm so nervous. I'm not that good at cornrows.. I bought two packs. Since I plan on cutting it in half and cutting those in half, that should be enough right?

shortdub78 One of the great things about crochet braids as a protective style is that you don't have to be good at cornrows! The hair will hide the cornrows after installing.

I'm not sure about the Biba brand you've bought as I don't know it. Perhaps if you attach pics of the packs..... but I'm sure one if the other ladies on the board will be of more help.

Evolving78

shortdub78 One of the great things about crochet braids as a protective style is that you don't have to be good at cornrows! The hair will hide the cornrows after installing. I'm not sure about the Biba brand you've bought as I don't know it. Perhaps if you attach pics of the packs..... but I'm sure one if the other ladies on the board will be of more help.
here is a pic

image-4145869934.jpg

naturalmanenyc

I found some Biba natural hair. I'm so nervous. I'm not that good at cornrows.. I bought two packs. Since I plan on cutting it in half and cutting those in half, that should be enough right?

I'm not familiar with that brand but generally two packs of hair is enough, especially if you plan to cut it in half. You also don't have to pack the hair in to close in the back since it will be covered by the hair on top.

It looks like presectioned hair. Be sure to break it down into 2,3 or 4 pieces. If you install large chunks of curly strands or it will look really big, unless that is the look you want.

This woman used 2.5 packs of Biba Soft Dread hair.
http://youtu.be/RKjfgZk6_SQ

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm not familiar with that brand but generally two packs of hair is enough, especially if you plan to cut it in half. You also don't have to pack the hair in to close in the back since it will be covered by the hair on top. It looks like presectioned hair. Be sure to break it down into 2,3 or 4 pieces. If you install large chunks of curly strands or it will look really big, unless that is the look you want. This woman used 2.5 packs of Biba Soft Dread hair. http://youtu.be/RKjfgZk6_SQ
Thank u! No, I don't want it to look big, since I have a small head/face. I don't want to look like Chaka khan's lap dog.

sgold04

I've had crochet braids for three of the last 4 months. I was initially planning on straightening at the end of the month, but I'm not sure now. I may get one more set of crochet braids before Thanksgiving. It's easier for me to assess breakage when straight though, and I haven't pressed it since December. I'm eager to see how long my hair is, and if it's uneven due to a shoddy trim in June. Decisions decisions

naturalmanenyc

shortdub78

I reached out to a few braiders about crochet styles and only one said Marley hair is included for $140. I didn't even think to ask about hair being included until I saw your post. However, the price is still $140 if the customer supplies their own hair.

A couple of them told me $150 and one told me $160, hair is not included.

Evolving78

shortdub78 I reached out to a few braiders about crochet styles and only one said Marley hair is included for $140. I didn't even think to ask about hair being included until I saw your post. However, the price is still $140 if the customer supplies their own hair. A couple of them told me $150 and one told me $160, hair is not included.
so the price seems to be standard. But charging that much and not including the hair seems to be a bit much!

gorgeoushair

shortdub78

I reached out to a few braiders about crochet styles and only one said Marley hair is included for $140. I didn't even think to ask about hair being included until I saw your post. However, the price is still $140 if the customer supplies their own hair.

A couple of them told me $150 and one told me $160, hair is not included.

For some reason to me that seems kind of high....back in the day when crochet braids first came out folks were charging $25-$40. I can't see anybody paying $100-$160 for no crochet braids unless you go to the Africans and check I don't agree with their prices.:nono:

sgold04

For some reason to me that seems kind of high....back in the day when crochet braids first came out folks were charging $25-$40. I can't see anybody paying $100-$160 for no crochet braids unless you go to the Africans and check I don't agree with their prices.:nono:
I agree, it is high. I pay $80 for my crochet braids, hair is not included. I found the stylist on Craigslist after reading some old crochet braid threads in this forum and members mentioned looking on Craigslist. I'm in Philly.

naturalmanenyc

Whoa, $250 crochet weave without hair
$400 with hair included
https://www.vagaro.com/LisaBailey#

THIS IS A PROMOTIONAL OFFER FOR CROCHET WEAVES UNTIL THANKSGIVING. THE PROMO PRICE IS $250 basic styling like shaping,Regular price is $ 400 with hair included with styling. DURING THIS PROMO HAIR IS NOT PROVIDED BY STYLIST./SALON.

http://www.hairbysusy.com/price/
$250 for crochet weave
She did Beyonce's braids, once, and she does Solange's hair so I'm guessing that is why her prices are so high.

Last edited:

Harina

Whoa, $250 crochet weave without hair
$400 with hair included
https://www.vagaro.com/LisaBailey#

THIS IS A PROMOTIONAL OFFER FOR CROCHET WEAVES UNTIL THANKSGIVING. THE PROMO PRICE IS $250 basic styling like shaping,Regular price is $ 400 with hair included with styling. DURING THIS PROMO HAIR IS NOT PROVIDED BY STYLIST./SALON.

http://www.hairbysusy.com/price/
$250 for crochet weave
She did Beyonce's braids, once, and she does Solange's hair so I'm guessing that is why her prices are so high.

And the braids look terrible. Just laughing all the way to the bank.