Why didn't ya'll warn me - near death experience - too much weave!

naturalmanenyc

I have never worn braids in my adult life until this fall and I had no idea that if you wet the braids that your neck could snap!

I got all to comfortable with holding my head under the shower nozzle since I got my new curly twists in yesterday. I don't have to worry about messing up the cornrow base so I let my entire head get wet. All was fine until I realized the weight of the soaking wet hair. The curls stretched and hit my hips and it felt like my neck could snap!!

I was able to wring out the water quickly but wow!!! Who knew that one could die from too much weave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJ2pzKSLHA

12-13-09 update:
I kept them in for the full 8 weeks. DH said that I could never keep the same hair style for more than a few weeks:grin: The real test will be later this week when I take it all down and do my BKT for a length check.

Last edited:

msa

:lachen:

I was JUST thinking about learning to do some crochet braids...I love the way your style came out :yep:. Where'd you get the hair from? ETA: I found your other thread with the link to the hair.

The only thing that scares me is that latch hook...how did you feel about it? Did you feel like it was damaging your hair?

Last edited:

WAVES4DAYS

:funny:
:lachen:Glad you're okay. Your hair looks really cute!

naturalmanenyc

Thanks ladies. I like the style. It came out better than I expected. It took DH about 30 minutes to decide if he liked it or not. So far he does like it.

Glad you're okay! The twists looks beautiful! :yep:

I was JUST thinking about learning to do some crochet braids...I love the way your style came out :yep:. Where'd you get the hair from? ETA: I found your other thread with the link to the hair.

The only thing that scares me is that latch hook...how did you feel about it? Did you feel like it was damaging your hair?

The lacth hook did not hurt at all, and I am a punk when it comes to having someone do my hair. There is extension hair in my cornrows and I did not really feel it as the hair was been added. There was only one time when I felt a slight pinch and I think that is because that piece of curly hair was tied too tight. She loosened it up and it was fine.

The hair in the link is not what was used....or at least I don't think so since I did not notice the brand of the hair in the link (ETA - there was no brand listed). http://www.twistandcurves.com/on-line-store.html

The brand of hair that was used in my hair is Royal Supreme and it was called "dread spring" or "spring dread".

I think the same style could be done with freetress curly hair though. Maybe tango curl.

I'm glad you're okay, lol :)
The twists look great!

:funny:
:lachen:Glad you're okay. Your hair looks really cute!

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

One thing that I did notice is that she separated the preseparated sections of hair to make them smaller i.e., if the hair is pacakged with 50 pieces of curls, she made it into 100 pieces. I think she used 3 packs of hair, maybe less. She had 5 packs at the station but only 3 of them were 1b.

I think it would have been too bulky if she used it "as is" out of the package.

ETA- This youtuber shows the separation that I am talking about.
Go to about 8:10 of this video to see how she separates the prepackaged curly hair - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhP5DaXBcok

Last edited:

msa

One thing that I did notice is that she separated the preseparated sections of hair to make them smaller i.e., if the hair is pacakged with 50 pieces of curls, she made it into 100 pieces. I think she used 3 packs of hair, maybe less. She had 5 packs at the station but only 3 of them were 1b.

I think it would have been too bulky if she used it "as is" out of the package.

Oh I am glad you told me that. If I do get the hair I definitely wouldn't want them to be super bulky. That link is the only place I can find the hair so far...though next time I'm at the BSS I'll take a look around for it.

I also found some spring twist hair by Eon Hair that might work as well...it's not the same exact look though.
http://www.eonhair.com/Twist-hair/c1/p50/Spring-Twist/product_info.html

naturalmanenyc

That hair looks VERY similar to what she used. It was springy like the Eon hair.

Oh I am glad you told me that. If I do get the hair I definitely wouldn't want them to be super bulky. That link is the only place I can find the hair so far...though next time I'm at the BSS I'll take a look around for it.

I also found some spring twist hair by Eon Hair that might work as well...it's not the same exact look though.
http://www.eonhair.com/Twist-hair/c1/p50/Spring-Twist/product_info.html

BostonMaria

OMG that title has me LMAO :lachen:

Glad to see you're still alive! I'd hate to see you end up on the 11 o'clock news

msa

That hair looks VERY similar to what she used. It was springy like the Eon hair.

Unfortunately, I found out eon is out of business. Oh well. I really liked that hair too.

I'll just have to look around la and see if I find anything similar.

naturalmanenyc

I know!!! I thought about that once I realized that I was okay. DH came in not too long after and I told him that he nearly found me dead from too much weave. I could almost see the headline.

OMG that title has me LMAO :lachen:

Glad to see you're still alive! I'd hate to see you end up on the 11 o'clock news

Kellum

Looks very pretty. I've liked that style since the first time you posted pic. I have a few questions.

1. Your hair was braided going straight back. What did they do with the hanging braids? Were the braids sewn up?

2. Was this bulk hair or hair on the weft that was just cut off?

naturalmanenyc

Thanks. I have wanted to try the style since I found the photos on-line.

She braided the ends of the cornrows together and then sewed them down. I will take a photos when my new camera arrives; however, I did see a tutorial on youtube that shows the technique. I will post the link.

ETA to add link: go to 1:30 to see the ends braided & sewn down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heXm7O808KY&feature=fvsr

She used bulk spring dread hair by Royal Supreme. I know that she orders the hair though and does not buy it locally because I heard her telling someone on the phone that the rush fee for the hair would be $30.

Looks very pretty. I've liked that style since the first time you posted pic. I have a few questions.

1. Your hair was braided going straight back. What did they do with the hanging braids? Were the braids sewn up?

2. Was this bulk hair or hair on the weft that was just cut off?

Last edited:

mnemosyne

hmm that's really cute and looks like a way I could possibly get twists done since I don't like the way the individual pieces pull on small sections of hair the normal way.

Kellum

Thanks. I have wanted to try the style since I found the photos on-line.

She braided the ends of the cornrows together and then sewed them down. I will take a photos when my new camera arrives; however, I did see a tutorial on youtube that shows the technique. I will post the link.

ETA to add link: go to 1:30 to see the ends braided & sewn down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heXm7O808KY&feature=fvsr

She used bulk spring dread hair by Royal Supreme. I know that she orders the hair though and does not buy it locally because I heard her telling someone on the phone that the rush fee for the hair would be $30.

Thanks a bunch :)

hothair

This is why I use human hair for my braids I've got a curly install with similar single plaits round the perimeter - it does feel heavier when wet but not more than if I had BSL hair :grin: great practice for this time next year hopefully

naturalmanenyc

Yes!!! That is the hair she used "dread spring". The brand was Royal Supreme though not Royal Silk in a pink & black package.

Thanks for finding the hair. I may be able to do it myself next time if I could only learn to cornrow.

ETA - the link does say "Supreme" as part of the dred spring name so maybe it's the exact same hair. "Dred Spring Bulk Hair - Synthetic Hair for Braiding or Bonding - Supreme #17292" :grin:

Last edited:

Sonye93

I'm so sorry to hear that, and I know it's not supposed to be funny but, I can't stop laughing, just imagine.

You: (walking into the office the next day, all tattered and what not)

Co-Worker: WHOA, what happened to you?

You: (groaning).....ow, too much weave :(.......

msa

Wow the hair stretches so much. Lovely style.

Doesn't it? I can't wait til my own hair stretches that far.

NTB, this really is a great style :yep:. Now that I've found the hair I'm going to try it out. I'm glad you posted about it.

Kellum

I love this style. I like it even more now that the twist seemed to drop. I'm definitely going to do this to my hair.

Did the twist start to unravel when wet?