Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

NickiNiciole

I am considering trying crochet braids. My only concern is using the synthetic hair. I also love half wigs but they hardly last over a week or two for me. I am thinking that the hair quality would be about the same and I am wondering if synthetic hair can hold up for a month.

simplybeauty

simplybeauty what hair and braiding patter did you use? This is exactly the look I think I want to achieve. Can you pull it back into a nice looking puff?

My cousin who is a stylist did the install. But I sent her this video to watch so she could do it the exact same way. I used the bijeaux realistic Afro kinky (the lady shows the package in the video). The second picture with the makeup on is in a puff..It's just a REALLY big puff lol. I'll try to take another pic of the puff tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/81p_PnnWhIw

naturalmanenyc

So cute. Crochet braid style Bohemian hair in the back Brazilian hair in the front.

Fine 4s

Hey ladies, I want my crochet install to come out like the attached picture. Looks like a two strand twist on blow dried hair.

What do I set the marley hair with? Perm rods might be too tight. What will give this hair the two strand blow dried hair look? My assumption is that two stranding this hair won't produce a wave...help!

Attachments

• image-3201767381.jpg
    image-3201767381.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 162

Fine 4s

Should I have cut this hair in have before latching it on to my braids? This is a whole lot of hair in my head. *gulp*

We're only half way done-

Attachments

• image-2875749152.jpg
    image-2875749152.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3945856841.jpg
    image-3945856841.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

amii

I alway cut after I install. It might not matter with marley/ yaki but I generally detest pre cut hair on curly type hair like waterwave. Also this way you can tailor it better and not end up with half the hair you intended. Essentially Room for mistakes, lol.

amii

Should I have cut this hair in have before latching it on to my braids? This is a whole lot of hair in my head. *gulp*

We're only half way done-

Also I'd love to know what kind of braid pattern you used?! Your hair is so long and thick, where did it all go?

ForestRose

Anyone done crochet braids with a u part leave out? I'm thinking about doing this. I don't like the typical crochet braid parting. It looks a bit too obvious and I always have a side parting.

Fine 4s

Also I'd love to know what kind of braid pattern you used?! Your hair is so long and thick, where did it all go?
amii Lawd that was the other trial and error. There's a big braided ball under there. We should have done a different pattern than straight backs. My braids also feel a little tight. I didn't realize that I had thread and weave needle until we were half way to sew it upward. Maybe we can fix it.....

Attachments

• image-4040451350.jpg
    image-4040451350.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Fine 4s

Anyone done crochet braids with a u part leave out? I'm thinking about doing this. I don't like the typical crochet braid parting. It looks a bit too obvious and I always have a side parting.

xxlalaxx I wanted to leave some hair out around the perimeter and at the middle part for this same reason. But then I changed my mind at the last minute because my priority is to protect the whole head over to have it look cute. I'll tweak whatever I don't like on my next trial. Two months in, summer and fall out and back for another two months until the end of year. My braids feel a little tight though....

ForestRose

@xxlalaxx I wanted to leave some hair out around the perimeter and at the middle part for this same reason. But then I changed my mind at the last minute because my priority is to protect the whole head over to have it look cute. I'll tweak whatever I don't like on my next trial. Two months in, summer and fall out and back for another two months until the end of year. My braids feel a little tight though....
Yeah I get what you mean. I actually can't leave my perimeter out because of the breakage I'm getting. My crown is super full though so I'm thinking I'll leave a bit out and just gently flexi rod once a week to blend. I'm also thinking that if I wanna cover it I can just cornrow and crochet it up whenever I like.

Will post pics on tuesday or so. Will finish curling the hair later. I'm using noir. Also wish me luck! Last time I did this I felt like crying coz it was just that bad lol:nono::nono:

Fine 4s

Oh no!
I'm using Noir too.
Whether it turns out nice or not I'm keeping it in for two months. Wish ME luck lol!

ForestRose

Oh no!
I'm using Noir too.
Whether it turns out nice or not I'm keeping it in for two months. Wish ME luck lol!
Lol will do :)
I just read your previous posts. When I did it last time I realised that I should have curled and cut the hair first. This hair is A LOT. Half of it will get you a nice twist out style past your neck so hopefully next time you will realise

And also it does curl. when I did it the first time round it came out like a hot mess and wouldnt curl. I took it out a couple of hours later. Just make sure you wrap and twist it around the flexi/perm rods really tight. If you have someone then you should be fine but next time see if you can curl it first

Last edited:

Fine 4s

It's a tad bit of a disaster.
We used too much hair on my small head!
About 4 packs. The back has too much hair and I don't know what to remove. I'm a little bummed so I'm not into taking any pics. Right now I have stupid blunt ends with a pillow behind my head so it all gathered in a bun.
Well, it was a first try....

ForestRose

Fine 4s

Wow sorry to hear that. That is a lot of hair! I'm only using 2 packs or less.

Maybe try cutting it to literally half the length first. It will make curling it a lot easier. I did full length last time and curling it was a mess.

I hope you figure something out. I know how frustrating these things can be. Good luck.

Fine 4s

Fine 4s Wow sorry to hear that. That is a lot of hair! I'm only using 2 packs or less. Maybe try cutting it to literally half the length first. It will make curling it a lot easier. I did full length last time and curling it was a mess. I hope you figure something out. I know how frustrating these things can be. Good luck.

We cut it to slightly below my shoulders because I want the curl to stay at my shoulders. I'm going to a salon for them to cut the hair off/out. I got it done for free so can't complain too much. Plus, it's fixable....I'll post before and after pics...

winona

My braid pattern I am too sleepy to take pics of the hair right now I will update post with those pics tomorrow. I used neon thread because my hubby will have to snip it upon take down and I don't need him accidentally cutting my hair Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-939522399.jpg
    image-939522399.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image-517623862.jpg
    image-517623862.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image-713132752.jpg
    image-713132752.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image-958440829.jpg
    image-958440829.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3306829990.jpg
    image-3306829990.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

winona

I also did the knotless crochet around my entire perimeter so as they get old and fly around you won't see knots and I pin hair up later too

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1613782087.jpg
    image-1613782087.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3675014576.jpg
    image-3675014576.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 123

chocolat79

I finally decided to get crochet braids and I should've done this a LONG time ago. I have a hard time with retention because my hair doesn't like manipulation much at all and also trying to find a way to keep it moisturized in dry CA, so here's a pic. This was from almost a month ago, but I plan on keeping it for about 6 weeks and having it re-installed, which is about 2 more weeks.

Igotstripes

Ladies I need help selecting a braid pattern! I want to be able to wear a side part and a center part that both look natural...would straight back cornrows be the best way to do this?

gvin89

Just got crochet braids installed yesterday using Freetress water wave hair. I plan to leave it in 4-6 weeks. I'll spray my hair with s-curl and oil my scalp as needed.

LeftRightRepeat

Picture? :) on average how much do the installs cost? If anyone knows a good braided who does this in Atlanta ( acworth, marietta) , please let me know.

naturalmanenyc

A crochet braider that I follow on Instagram is coming to Brooklyn May 7-12. She does great work with invisible Marley hair crochet (I've never tried Marley). Her work is great, although her prices are higher than I'm willing to pay - $200 & up - plus I'm keeping my current install for at least 8 weeks.

Just sharing in case anyone is interested. She was recently in Miami, Houston, Atlanta and will in in Baltimore as well.

Instagram.com/Hairbeenatural

https://www.styleseat.com/Hairbeenatural

shawnyblazes
cutiebe2
Harina
Funmiloves
simplycee
yodie
LaChaBla
DarkJoy
MzLady78
@Keen

amii

Hey Ladies I took my crochets down for a hair and scalp break. Everything looks ok, my longest later is "tickling" my bra strap and I had a lot less breakage when manipulating my hair! I love crochet braids... My salvation lol.
I have a couple of questions:
How long do you leave between installs for your hair to rest?
Has anyone found a technique to wear crochet braids in a pony tail? Or puff? I want to have the option this time around but I can't have a leave out. My hair doesn't match the hair I use (water wave).